AirPods Pro service program covers sound, noise cancellation issues

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
Apple on Friday initiated a service program for AirPods Pro models that exhibit sound reproduction issues or noise cancellation problems, offering free replacement of affected units.

AirPods Pro

Called the "AirPods Pro Service Program for Sound Issues," Apple's repair initiative covers a limited number of devices manufactured before October 2020.

In a post detailing the program, Apple says it discovered a "small percentage" of AirPods Pro devices exhibit so-called "sound issues" that result in crackling or static sounds, as well as Active Noise Cancellation faults.

According to the support document, offending sounds might increase in loud environments, while a user is exercising or during phone conversations. A number of users have for complained about similar problems since the first firmware update for the headphones was released late last year, saying popping or crackling noises present when ANC is activated. Others have complained of humming noises or distorted audio. It is not clear if current program is designed to address those exact issues.

As for ANC, the program covers apparent faults such as a loss of bass or an unexpected increase in background sounds like airplane noise.

Those impacted can take their AirPods Pro unit to Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider for free service. Coverage includes replacement of individual earbuds or a complete set, depending on results of an authorized examination.

The program covers affected AirPods Pro for two years after first retail sale, Apple says. The company notes no other AirPods models are covered by the repair initiative.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Both my APPs developed crackling sounds under movement and have already been replaced.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Both my AirPods were replaced in store last month because of “crackling sounds.”
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Hey Apple, how about the HomePod w popping sounds....are you gonna fixed them too? For $299 a pop
  • Reply 4 of 13
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Both of mine have now been replaced for the "crackling" noise. I was concerned though that the replacements would eventually exhibit the same, but at least with the extension being 2 years if they do fail again, they'll replace them with ones that don't have the defect.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Both my EarPods and docking case were replaced. 
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Finally! I had mine replaced for ... 4 times already if I'm not mistaken. Finally Apple aknowledges this problem.
    caladanian
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I’ve had 3 separate AirPods replaced since I bought them on launch date. I’ve had no further problems since the last replacement in April (touch wood). 
    caladanian
  • Reply 8 of 13
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,009member
    Mine have already been replaced, one at a time, with the first replacement also being replaced again just last week. Right, left, and right again. It’s a bit of a disappointment to have the problem occur, but the customer service has made up for it. All three times the replacement pods have arrived via FedEx less than 24 hours after the service call was made. 
  • Reply 9 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    arbar said:
    Both my EarPods and docking case were replaced. 

I've had both my right Airpod Pro and the case replaced even though they were only 4 months old -- but not for crackling sound rather for no-sound.  Sometimes they worked,  Sometimes they didn't.   But, knock on wood, for the past month they've been working well.

Obviously these are not design problems but manufacturing problems.
    It was reported earlier this year that Apple and FoxConn moved Airpod production out of China to Vietnam.   It's looking like that may have been a mistake.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    Both my airPod pro earpieces have been replaced (separately) over the last few months. Glad it's not just me!! Having a replacement program helps since I didn't originally buy AppleCare on these. But the weird "whenever I turn my head" crackle was increasingly annoying. Also occasional distorted audio.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    NaiyasNaiyas Posts: 107member
    Had this sound issue with ANC active on my AirPod Pros. The left AirPod was the first to have issues and was replaced back in March/April time, though it did take almost 90 minutes of back and forth to convince Apple Support there was a problem with it! Things were fine until about a month ago when the right AirPod started to have the same crackling issues when ANC is turned on. This repair programme should hopefully mean less time convincing Apple Support that the right AirPod needs replacing.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 12 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Ooops!   Here we go again!
    I got a pair of Airpod pros for my birthday at the end of June.   They worked well for about a month then became erratic -- one day they would work, the next they wouldn't.   Plus, the right Airpod would not always charge:   the left would be at 100% and the right at 5%.

So Apple first replaced the right Airpod and,when that did nothing, they replaced the case.   They worked fine for about a month.   Then:

Yesterday, when I went for a run and only the left one worked.   Neither would the Airpod display appear on my phone when I opened the case.   I reset the connection to the phone but it didn't help.   This morning I checked and the left Airpod is at 100% and the right at 27% charge. 

RIght now, after removing them and placing them in their case, the right one seems to be charging correctly.

Apparently these have whatever problem the first pair had. 

This isn't the same problem as the crackling sound.  But it too has to do with poor manufacturing.

Added:   And, as before, it takes a week now to get a tech appointment at the Apple Store.   It used to take a few hours.   Did all their technicians die?   Where did they go?
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Just got my replacements last week!