Users can buy iCloud storage in addition to Apple One plans, for up to 4TB

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    cornchip said:
    sflocal said:
    I use both iCloud and Dropbox.  I just don't feel that iCloud is on par with what Dropbox offers, particularly in the business arena.  Has anyone in a similar position made the jump to 100% iCloud?

What prevents me from leaving Dropbox is:

Sharing files to other users - even if not on dropbox.
    Recovering deleted files.
    Easy ability to flag files as online-only and ease of controlling that option.

Any thoughts?

Nope. iCloud is simply not set up for any kind of corporate or group setup. I wanted to use it for my neighborhood association digitization strategy, but it comes down to the fact that it has to be tied to a device & iCloud account. Too much of a p.i.t.a. what with switching “ownership” of the account in the future etc. to be a viable. And then sharing & interoperability with other platforms is a web of confusion. 

I love iCloud for personal stuff though. Pretty much a non-starter for anything else.

edit for additional thoughts.
    Agreed. Apple's approach to cloud storage pretty much matches their philosophy with everything else they do - their primary focus is on individual users and the individual's experiences with Apple products and services. I've always thought of Apple as the one computer company that truly understands "personal" computers, I mean truly personal computers, not office computers that have been repurposed for home/personal use. They are the shining beacon in these cases. But as much as I love Apple products and services, they aren't the best choice for corporate or industrial workplaces where the focus is on the group or the enterprise rather than the individual. This isn't a knock on Apple because they do exceedingly well in the application areas that they explicitly target. Apple isn't trying to be everything to everyone, they aren't trying to take on the IBMs, Microsofts, or Oracles in the enterprise, so if you try to force fit some Apple products or services into domains that they were not designed to flourish within, the impedance mismatch between design intention and deployment reality will be very apparent. 
    cornchipRayz2016muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Beats said:
    This still does me no good.

Currently:
    Family Music $14.99
    2TB iCloud $9.99

The Family bundle doesn't work, 200 GB isn't enough storage.

The Premier bundle doesn't *save* me money unless I want 2 more services (or Fitness+) I don't already subscribe to. 

Adding the 2TB to the Family bundle moves the cost up to $30, same situation.

Currently:
    Family Music $14.99
    2TB iCloud $9.99

The Premier bundle doesn't *save* me money unless I want 2 more services (or Fitness+) I don't already subscribe to. 

I'm in the same boat.  I'm on a year free trial of Apple TV to boot.  And I don't care about Apple Arcade.

Dudes... this is a BUNDLE.
    Don’t care about a Bundle. I just want more than 2 TB of iCloud storage and that’s it. Why can’t Apple just keep it simple and not force you to buy a bunch of stuff you don’t want just to get what you do want? 
  • Reply 23 of 39
    sflocal said:
    I use both iCloud and Dropbox.  I just don't feel that iCloud is on par with what Dropbox offers, particularly in the business arena.  Has anyone in a similar position made the jump to 100% iCloud?

Any thoughts?
    This is the problem with iCloud Drive file sharing -- it's too smart for its own good and wants to share the folder into your recipient's own iCloud Drive folders. When what it should be is a URL to a folder-view in browser, and let the recipient preview or download the files. That's it.

Jobs famously told the Dropbox founders that they were "a feature, not a product", and yet Apple still hasn't got this core feature right. It's about the sharing, not just the syncing.

A rare criticism of Apple by both of you, based on your own experience. Well done.

Now, if only you guys can empathize with other people who criticize Apple based on their own experiences instead of throwing tantrums/attacks at the slightest possible opportunity, how good this forum would be? Sigh!

• Reply 24 of 39
    I have a side gripe.. I buy all my TV shows and movies on Apple TV, but I can’t share them with my family without also sharing my credit card with the rest of the family.  Why?  I can share music on Apple Music with my family members but not TV shows that I pay for?  Lame.  
    pulseimages
  • Reply 25 of 39
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    dbvapor said:
    I have a side gripe.. I buy all my TV shows and movies on Apple TV, but I can’t share them with my family without also sharing my credit card with the rest of the family.  Why?  I can share music on Apple Music with my family members but not TV shows that I pay for?  Lame.  
    Apple needs a way to associate multiple users with the same payment vehicle. I’m not sure what other mechanism you would propose. With Family Sharing each family member can still make independent purchases and those purchases have to be correlated with a payment vehicle to determine whether each purchase qualifies for family sharing. Child purchases have to be approved by the account owner. 

You also have the option of media sharing on the same network using Home Sharing. In this case the account owner has to share his/her Apple ID on the (up to 5) devices that are part of the home sharing feature. 

The bottom line is that Apple needs a rendezvous point to figure out all forms of sharing that involves licensed items that they have an obligation to safeguard in some way. They could probably come up with some sort of tokenized sharing key but they’d have to create infrastructure to manage all that. Instead they’ve built on top of existing mechanisms they already have in place. This is pragmatic, not lame. 
  • Reply 26 of 39
    I have read on a few other blogs and forums that the iCloud service is a syncing service, not a file storage system like OneDrive or Dropbox. On my MacBook for example, all the files try to come down all the time until the drive gets almost full then the maximize space option kicks in and keeps me from losing all my drive space. On my iPad, it's only strictly in iCloud until I open it then it comes down to my iPad. I'm suspicious that maximize space option is something similar to OneDrive and Dropbox but I'm not quite sure.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 27 of 39
    omasouomasou Posts: 572member

Currently:
    Family Music $14.99
    2TB iCloud $9.99

This is my exact situation. I don't want or need the other services, I just want some extra storage.

If I'm reading this right, after the trail period, I could purchase the same 200GB plan I have now and I would have a total of 400GB for $14.99 + $2.99?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211784
    pulseimages
  • Reply 28 of 39
    tomowa said:
    I had the 2TB plan iCloud storage plan. I just subscribed to the Apple One Premier. Now my iCloud storage shows I have 4TB.
    My iCloud 2TB storage plan shows it is still an active subscription, and it does not state that it will be assimilated into the Apple One Premier subscription.
    So what will happen, if I cancel the existing 2TB iCloud? Does everything dissapear? Then rebuilt on the new Premier 2TB plan?
    There is a link in the Apple One Premier subscription confirmation email I received, Learn what happens to your iCloud storage plan when you sign up for Apple One, but the link is to a non existent page https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211784.

I believe the trail period is messing w/what you see. It's explained here, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211784
  • Reply 29 of 39
    sflocal said:

Any thoughts?
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201104

Instructions for #1.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/share-folders-documents-icloud-file-sharing-mchl91854a7a/mac

Instructions for #2.

How do I get back files that I deleted?

If you need to access a file that you deleted within the last 30 days, follow these steps to get it back.

On iCloud.com

1. Sign in to iCloud.com.
    2. Go to iCloud Drive.
    3. In the bottom-right corner, select Recently Deleted items.
    4. Browse the list of files.

You can also go to Settings > Restore Files. After 30 days, files are removed from Recently Deleted and Restore Files.

I haven't found an easy way to control #3 other than deleting the downloads on my computer after doing what I need w/the file. Not sure how to remove the download on iOS.

edited October 2020
  • Reply 30 of 39
    omasou said:
    tomowa said:
    I had the 2TB plan iCloud storage plan. I just subscribed to the Apple One Premier. Now my iCloud storage shows I have 4TB.
    My iCloud 2TB storage plan shows it is still an active subscription, and it does not state that it will be assimilated into the Apple One Premier subscription.
    So what will happen, if I cancel the existing 2TB iCloud? Does everything dissapear? Then rebuilt on the new Premier 2TB plan?
    There is a link in the Apple One Premier subscription confirmation email I received, Learn what happens to your iCloud storage plan when you sign up for Apple One, but the link is to a non existent page https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211784.

I believe the trail period is messing w/what you see. It's explained here, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211784

“If the iCloud storage included in Apple One is equal to your current plan

During the free trial, you keep both your current iCloud storage plan and the iCloud storage in Apple One. Once the trial is finished, your current iCloud storage plan is canceled. Your total iCloud storage will be the amount included in your Apple One subscription.”

This reads to me that if you currently have a  2 TB plan and combine that with a 2 TB Apple One Plan then you can get 4 TB. But once the trial period is over, your current 2 TB plan is canceled and your left with 2 TB again not 4TB. Is this not correct? 

• Reply 31 of 39
    sflocal said:

Any thoughts?

I have Dropbox business and iCloud with Apple One Premier. iCloud definitely doesn't offer the same feature set, but I wager they eventually will. The problem is unless they offer binaries for Linux and Windows I don't see the use case for Apple to go the entire Dropbox route.
    There is a "binary" of iCloud for Windows.  Has been for many years.  Linux is still stuck using the web interface.
  • Reply 32 of 39

cornchip said:
    sflocal said:

Any thoughts?

Nope. iCloud is simply not set up for any kind of corporate or group setup. I wanted to use it for my neighborhood association digitization strategy, but it comes down to the fact that it has to be tied to a device & iCloud account. Too much of a p.i.t.a. what with switching “ownership” of the account in the future etc. to be a viable. And then sharing & interoperability with other platforms is a web of confusion. 

I love iCloud for personal stuff though. Pretty much a non-starter for anything else.

edit for additional thoughts.
    iCloud is not tied to a device.  Anyone can create an Apple ID and use iCloud for free (for the 5GB storage).  For my family, we has an additional iCloud account that is shared - not tied to any specific device.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    omasou said:
    tomowa said:

“If the iCloud storage included in Apple One is equal to your current plan

During the free trial, you keep both your current iCloud storage plan and the iCloud storage in Apple One. Once the trial is finished, your current iCloud storage plan is canceled. Your total iCloud storage will be the amount included in your Apple One subscription.”

This reads to me that if you currently have a  2 TB plan and combine that with a 2 TB Apple One Plan then you can get 4 TB. But once the trial period is over, your current 2 TB plan is canceled and your left with 2 TB again not 4TB. Is this not correct? 

Nope - here's my experience.  I had a 2TB plan before signing up for the Premier bundle, that includes 2TB.  I was refunded for my old 2TB plan, the old 2TB plan was removed from my account, and I still only have 2TB of storage available now.  I can go to storage, and I can buy the 2TB of only storage again (after it was removed/refunded).  Then iCloud shows I have 4TB of space.  Buying the bundle just refunds/cancels any existing storage only plan that matches the bundle.
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 34 of 39
    erioerio Posts: 28member
    nicholfd said:
    Nope - here's my experience.  I had a 2TB plan before signing up for the Premier bundle, that includes 2TB.  I was refunded for my old 2TB plan, the old 2TB plan was removed from my account, and I still only have 2TB of storage available now.  I can go to storage, and I can buy the 2TB of only storage again (after it was removed/refunded).  Then iCloud shows I have 4TB of space.  Buying the bundle just refunds/cancels any existing storage only plan that matches the bundle.
    Where can I see this information? My iCloud storage was recently charged 4 days ago, while I signed up for Apple One yesterday. At the moment, I only see 2TB as part of my Apple One subscription.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    sflocal said:

Any thoughts?

Well you can do all that with iCloud using Mail Drop which sends a download link to someone to download that file, you can also recover deleted files from the iCloud control panel if you need too. If you want to flag a file you can do that on your iOS or Mac computer, if your on windows you can do that through the iCloud control panel, but with iCloud you also get to use all your internet speed, with Dropbox they cap your upload speed.
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 36 of 39
    xyzzy01xyzzy01 Posts: 134member
    The storage setup of Apple One and pricing is pretty bad. Storage should just be an integrated part of Apple One, where you can upgrade the storage in the plan. Not that you can buy iCloud storage completely separate on top of it, with the old pricing.

200 GB iCloud storage is not enough for me and my wife - so currently, we have the 2 TB package out of which we use a bit more than 500 GB.

You would think that "OK, then you have to upgrade the storage of your Apple One storage. The price difference is 7 USD.". Unfortunately, it doesn't work this way. Instead, you have to keep the same 2 TB package at the same price. Sure, you get 2.2 TB data now... but that is of no value. The 200 GB for us is worth exactly 0 USD a month.

Oh, and in case some suggests "Just get premier, then" - premier is not available here (Norway). 

• Reply 37 of 39
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    sflocal said:

Any thoughts?
    This is the problem with iCloud Drive file sharing -- it's too smart for its own good and wants to share the folder into your recipient's own iCloud Drive folders. When what it should be is a URL to a folder-view in browser, and let the recipient preview or download the files. That's it.

Jobs famously told the Dropbox founders that they were "a feature, not a product", and yet Apple still hasn't got this core feature right. It's about the sharing, not just the syncing.

A rare criticism of Apple by both of you, based on your own experience. Well done.

Now, if only you guys can empathize with other people who criticize Apple based on their own experiences instead of throwing tantrums/attacks at the slightest possible opportunity, how good this forum would be? Sigh!

Nope, it’s not rare. Check my post history and you’ll find plenty. 

I don’t throw tantrums (quote me please), but I do criticize dumb ideas. Sounds like you’ve had a few. 
  • Reply 38 of 39
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    dbvapor said:
    A trillion times this!

Why can’t you pick a different credit card for the subscription? Amazon seems able to manage it. 
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

sflocal said:

Any thoughts?

Well, we could empathize … but you’d still be wrong, so what’s the point?