Apple designers focused on gemstones & MagSafe requirements for iPhone 12 accessory design...

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple designers have spoken up about the design process for iPhone 12 accessories, with gem colors and MagSafe said to be the main driving forces behind how some of the new items turned out.

Apple's MagSafe charger and iPhone 12 cases
Apple's MagSafe charger and iPhone 12 cases

Alongside the iPhone 12 range of smartphones, Apple launched a multitude of accessories that take advantage of the company's new MagSafe wireless charging system. These accessories ranged from cases to card wallets, with many attaching directly onto the back of the iPhone using magnets.

In an exploration of the designs of the accessory range, designers working for Apple spoke to Wallpaper about the new products, including the bright array of color options available to consumers. Along with the five main colors for the iPhone 12 itself, and four for the iPhone 12 Pro line, consumers now have more color combinations to choose from with their official Apple accessories.

"We've always gone extremely wide in our color choices," said Apple VP of Industrial Design Evans Hankey about the wallet and case variety on offer. "This palette was an exploration that started around gemstones - we loved the depth of color and the way the colors appeared through the cases."

Despite being a wide color range, the accessories seemingly all match in tone with each other, with the company having a considerably long time to get things right. The Industrial Design Group within Apple works at least two years out from the release of products, with the versions released in late 2020 still at the prototyping stage in 2018.

To get the new MagSafe charging working, Apple had to update the internals to add the magnetic coil. The fine details extend to the accessories, including how the cardholder wallet is sprung to hold one card with as much tension as a stack of three, or the use of passive NFC to inform the iPhone an accessory is docked.

"This connectivity to the MagSafe eco system is what drove the final form," according to designer Eugene Whang. Designer Jeremy Bataillou also added "We designed the phone and the accessories as a single cohesive family."

On the ethos behind Apple's designs, as well as the interconnectedness between devices like iPhones and the new HomePod mini, Hankey claims the team is "happy there's an ecosystem around our products. As a design team, we are always exploring how we can add specific new values and make them more personal."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Well, it’s all very clever; I just don’t really see how this is better than just plugging in a cable. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Slow wireless charging never was so colorful and so ehh, wired. 
    Give me a break, Tim
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    I hope Apple reinforced the MagSafe cable where it goes in to the "disk". I can imagine the cable getting a lot of pulling and twisting.

Also, will the Apple Watch charger now be named the "MagSafe Mini"? ;)  
    Japhey
  • Reply 4 of 11
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    MagSafe looks like Apple started with the Apple Watch charging puck as a reference and removed all of its negatives. The fact that you can still use non-MagSafe wireless charging docks and you can still charge via the Lightning port makes MagSafe a total win. I've always liked the Apple Watch charging puck but it's the one and only way to charge the watch and means I have to pack an additional charging cable whenever I travel. My iPhone and iPad can share cables and chargers.

In my opinion, MagSafe is absolutely brilliant and will create its own little business sector in the larger Apple ecosystem. Maybe not so little...
    edited November 2020 StrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 11
    APPLE put a lot of time into perfecting the MagSafe for iPhone. Time that would have been better spent with an under screen fingerprint reader in a pandemic

• Reply 6 of 11
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Slow wireless charging never was so colorful and so ehh, wired. 
    Give me a break, Tim
    What's "slow" about it?  It charges at 15w.  Please provide a link to any "wireless" smartphone charging system that does not have a wire going to the base.  

Waiting...
    Beats
  • Reply 7 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Well, it’s all very clever; I just don’t really see how this is better than just plugging in a cable. 
    I agree. And is it too much to ask for a quick charge dock? I know they’re not everyone’s cup of tea, but I love those Apple iPhone docks. The old design is still stuck with the pre-pd lightning design though. 
  • Reply 8 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Rayz2016 said:

Preparing us for the future. Years ago, around 2014 I called that Apple would remove the charge port and use the Apple logo as a magnetic charge spot.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Rayz2016 said:
    Why do people use docks? Different use cases. For ex a well-designed landing pad in the car would be more convenient than fishing for the cable and fidgeting with it to plug in. 
  • Reply 10 of 11

bushman4 said:
    APPLE put a lot of time into perfecting the MagSafe for iPhone. Time that would have been better spent with an under screen fingerprint reader in a pandemic

And you really believe it’s the same people working on those two different problem spaces? Yeah no. It’s not an either or game. 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Agree.  Those coils are taking up useful battery space.  Stop this inefficient madness.