MLB used fleet of iPads to create fake crowd sounds during COVID-19

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
When Major League Baseball needed to solve the problem of silent stadiums during the COVID-19 pandemic, the league looked to the iPad.

Credit: MLB
Credit: MLB

To provide simulated crowd noises during the 2020 season, MLB used 30 iPads -- one for each team -- that were loaded with crowd reactions. But, as Sports Illustrated points out, getting the sound right is harder than it seems.

"You're a conductor of sorts. You're controlling a symphony," said Amelia Schimmel, Oakland A's ballpark entertainment executive producer.

While normal-sounding crowd noise is difficult to simulate, it's also crucial to keep players from performing in dead silence, and to keep the games familiar for fans watching at home.

According to SI, the dozens of sound noises loaded onto each iPad were originally made for PlayStation game "MLB: The Show." Each noise has three sound levels, and layering can create different effects. All a so-called "conductor" needs to do is scroll and tap to trigger specific reactions.

During the coronavirus health crisis, stadium crews needed to constantly adjust the background noise and reactions to plays. The senior director of productions for the Seattle Mariners, Ben Martens, gave one specific example to SI.

"There's that initial reaction of the ball hitting the bat," Martens said of a Mariners player making hard contact. But it isn't a full cheer yet, because the crowd wouldn't know how it would play out.

Different production teams prepared in different ways. The Milwaukee Brewers, for example, watched a few 2019 games with the crowd noises isolated to get a better sense of how fans reacted to actual plays and situations. The goal wasn't to conduct crowd noises that sounded ideal, it was to "make it sound real," said Schimmel.

Teams also had the opportunity to add their own custom sounds into the mix. The Oakland A's, for example, added a recording of super-fan The Banjo Man.

This isn't the first time that MLB has used iPads for a variety of tasks. The league first kicked off an iPad dugout program in 2016, before expanding it in 2020. Prior to 2015, iPads were actually banned in dugouts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    The Six nations rugby matches here in Europe had crowd noises as well, even a few whistles during penalties.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    They need to add drunk and belligerent fans calling out unrequested silly things to the opposing teams (and the umps/referees).  Now THAT would make it sound like a game!
    JinTech
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    I must say, they did a really good job with the faux crowd noises. Very believable and natural sounding over the TV broadcasts, during the local broadcasts and national feeds.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 4 of 9
    The equivalent of a laugh track on an unfunny TV show.
    lkrupprazorpit
  • Reply 5 of 9
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    It would be cool if there was some video documentation of the MLB creating these noises.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 6 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    JinTech said:
    It would be cool if there was some video documentation of the MLB creating these noises.
    As SpamSandwich says, laugh track or fan noise track, it’s the same. What I would like to know is who the psychologist is that MLB consulted and told them to do this. They must think fans are really stupid. 

Vince McMahan and the WWE are doing it right. They have literally hundreds of display screens set up around the ring, each with a fan in the picture. I don’t know if it’s Zoom or something else but you see this huge wall of actual fans reacting to what’s going on. 

And remember, professional wrestling is the only true sport left in America. None of that fake football, basketball, baseball, soccer, tennis crap. B)
  • Reply 7 of 9
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Just have fans in the stadiums. Problem solved.
    OctoMonkey
  • Reply 8 of 9
    lkrupp said:
    JinTech said:
    As SpamSandwich says, laugh track or fan noise track, it’s the same. What I would like to know is who the psychologist is that MLB consulted and told them to do this. They must think fans are really stupid. 

Vince McMahan and the WWE are doing it right. They have literally hundreds of display screens set up around the ring, each with a fan in the picture. I don’t know if it’s Zoom or something else but you see this huge wall of actual fans reacting to what’s going on. 

And remember, professional wrestling is the only true sport left in America. None of that fake football, basketball, baseball, soccer, tennis crap. B)
    I guarantee that the MLB and other leagues consulted with psychologists and other professions when making these decisions.  And it's not about fans being "stupid."  There is decades of research showing that humans are social animals and subconsciously take cues from other people--and expect that and gain information and comfort from those cues.  To watch a baseball game where you can hear the bat and the ball but the stadium is dead silent is disturbing (at least for most people).  It's not normal and it makes people uncomfortable and enjoy the product less.  Also many (probably almost all) people watching baseball games on TV are multitasking rather than giving the screen their attention 100% of the time.  Watching a game, you look up and pay attention when you hear certain sounds from the crowd.  A hard hit foul ball sounds the same as a homerun if there is no crowd noise (real or artificial).

I expect that the rank order preference for most fans would be
    BEST [real, in person, unscripted crowd noise] > [well done artificial crowd noise] > [sounds of the empty statium] > [poorly done fake crowd noise] WORST.

That's exactly why lots and lots of shows (from SNL to Seinfeld to game shows) are filmed before a live studio audience.  And why "laugh tracks" have a terrible reputation--because they were often poorly done and detracted from the show.

In MLB's case, some stadiums early in the season did a bad job of this,  The reaction sounds were slightly delayed or inappropriate/unrealistic.  Some venues (such as a Dodgers that I watched all season long) got very good at this very quickly and it was easy to forget we weren't hearing real crowds.  By the playoffs, everyone had gotten good at this and it was basically a non-issue.

And all this is just from the fans perspective.  There is also the psychology of the players.  It is a proven fact that player performance is affected by the presence or absence of fans (to some degree). It increases the tension and makes some actions more stressful and therefore more difficult. But it also impacts the production of adrenaline and other hormones that improve performance.  Many players have said that having the crowd noise make it easier for them to "get up for the game" in a way that they don't in practice.  Players do "feed off the crowd."

I did wonder how they got so good at this and what technology was involved.  It makes sense that EA's MLB: The Show technology was part of the solution (they already had the AI to generate realistic sounds in the context of simulated games).  But it's cool to learn that iPads were the interface that was used to add the human component.  I agree with JinTech, let's see a "Making of the MLB crowds during a pandemic" documentary.  On Apple TV+ perhaps.
    JinTechgregoriusm
  • Reply 9 of 9
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    lkrupp said:
    JinTech said:

I guarantee that the MLB and other leagues consulted with psychologists and other professions when making these decisions.  And it's not about fans being "stupid."  There is decades of research showing that humans are social animals and subconsciously take cues from other people--and expect that and gain information and comfort from those cues.  To watch a baseball game where you can hear the bat and the ball but the stadium is dead silent is disturbing (at least for most people).  It's not normal and it makes people uncomfortable and enjoy the product less.  Also many (probably almost all) people watching baseball games on TV are multitasking rather than giving the screen their attention 100% of the time.  Watching a game, you look up and pay attention when you hear certain sounds from the crowd.  A hard hit foul ball sounds the same as a homerun if there is no crowd noise (real or artificial).

I expect that the rank order preference for most fans would be
    BEST [real, in person, unscripted crowd noise] > [well done artificial crowd noise] > [sounds of the empty statium] > [poorly done fake crowd noise] WORST.

That's exactly why lots and lots of shows (from SNL to Seinfeld to game shows) are filmed before a live studio audience.  And why "laugh tracks" have a terrible reputation--because they were often poorly done and detracted from the show.

In MLB's case, some stadiums early in the season did a bad job of this,  The reaction sounds were slightly delayed or inappropriate/unrealistic.  Some venues (such as a Dodgers that I watched all season long) got very good at this very quickly and it was easy to forget we weren't hearing real crowds.  By the playoffs, everyone had gotten good at this and it was basically a non-issue.

And all this is just from the fans perspective.  There is also the psychology of the players.  It is a proven fact that player performance is affected by the presence or absence of fans (to some degree). It increases the tension and makes some actions more stressful and therefore more difficult. But it also impacts the production of adrenaline and other hormones that improve performance.  Many players have said that having the crowd noise make it easier for them to "get up for the game" in a way that they don't in practice.  Players do "feed off the crowd."

I did wonder how they got so good at this and what technology was involved.  It makes sense that EA's MLB: The Show technology was part of the solution (they already had the AI to generate realistic sounds in the context of simulated games).  But it's cool to learn that iPads were the interface that was used to add the human component.  I agree with JinTech, let's see a "Making of the MLB crowds during a pandemic" documentary.  On Apple TV+ perhaps.
    Exactly, it's psychological on every level.