Apple releases iOS 14.2, iPadOS 14.2, watchOS 7.1, tvOS 14.2 featuring new emoji and bug f...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
Apple has released iOS 14.2, iPadOS 14.2, watchOS 7.1 and tvOS 14.2 to the public with new features like a dedicated Shazam button and new emoji.

The iPhone 12
The iPhone 12

The update comes after five developer beta cycles for testing. The update features over 100 new emoji with more inclusive options and more food and objects. Apple also included eight new wallpaper options including outdoor scenes and artistic pieces.

The updates can be installed on the iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Apple TV via the usual update processes. While it can be set to run automatically, a manual update can be performed by opening the Settings app, selecting General, then Software Update. The Apple Watch must be charged to at least 50% and left on the charger in order to update.

The iOS 14.2 and iPadOS 14.2 updates added eight new wallpaper options, new emoji, and improved iconography across the operating system. The Home app gained some new icons with slight changes to how the house is shown in the icons. A new Shazam function was added to control center for quick song recognition that can be performed in the background.

As noted by security researcher Patrick Wardle, the update includes patches for three vulnerabilities that were operating in the wild.

Both tvOS 14.2 and watchOS 7.1 appear to be bug fixes only. watchOS 7 shipped with a bug that prevented the Apple Watch from unlocking the Mac, which is now fixed. ECG has been added for Russia and Korea.

iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 made changes including refreshing the Home screen and app interface, Messages and Safari, made major changes to Siri, added elements to Apple Maps, introduced Sound Recognition alerts, and CarKey support, among other changes. The next-generation tvOS 14 brings better picture-in-picture support, HomeKit Doorbell alerts and camera feeds, UI customization and more to Apple's set-top streamer.

Also along for the ride is the HomePod 14.2 software update. The HomePod 14.1 software update delivered the Intercom feature.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    A dedicated Shazam button will be great!
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 2 of 13
    and.....installed..... It was quick. It said 1.1GB, but my iPhone probably didn't need the full download.... 
    jahblade
  • Reply 3 of 13
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    HomePod intercom works much better in 14.2, though having it just one way when you're intercomming to one place is kinda dumb. Might as well just phone up whoever you're trying to talk to. Maybe they'll get around to changing that in iOS 20.
    edited November 2020 razorpit
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Finally time to upgrade from iOS 13 I reckon. 
  • Reply 5 of 13
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    tokyojimu said:
    Finally time to upgrade from iOS 13 I reckon. 
    I'm getting ready to update from Mojave.  :D
  • Reply 6 of 13
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    iOS 14 has been great, way better than iOS 13.  What are people waiting for that still have not updated?
    lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Not loving the fact that when iOS thinks you’ve been listening to music too long and loud it turns the volume down for you. And not a feature that seem can turn off. I know it’s well meaning and it’s my stupidity but seems a bit too intrusive. 
  • Reply 8 of 13
    elijahg said:
    HomePod intercom works much better in 14.2, though having it just one way 
    That's not an "intercom", it's a public address system, or an announcement system. It's a misnomer to call it an intercom.
    razorpit
  • Reply 9 of 13

M68000 said:
    iOS 14 has been great, way better than iOS 13.  What are people waiting for that still have not updated?
    Just waiting out the initial bugs. Several friends complained about programs not working right in iOS 14.[01] and I was in no rush. One friend's app to control his heat pump wouldn't work under 14.[01] so he calls me up when he needs to make a change.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    tokyojimu said:
    elijahg said:
    That's not an "intercom", it's a public address system, or an announcement system. It's a misnomer to call it an intercom.
    Agreed, intercom generally implies two way (though the definition is also one way). Alexa is two-way, Google Home is one way but is called broadcast, not intercom. If I intercom to the kitchen for example, I have no way of knowing someone has heard unless they reply, and they wouldn't necessarily know where I am so they'd have to do a whole house broadcast. Pretty clunky. As per a lot of HomePod features, seems a bit half baked.
    razorpit
  • Reply 11 of 13
    elijahg said:
    tokyojimu said:
    elijahg said:
    Agreed, intercom generally implies two way (though the definition is also one way). Alexa is two-way, Google Home is one way but is called broadcast, not intercom. If I intercom to the kitchen for example, I have no way of knowing someone has heard unless they reply, and they wouldn't necessarily know where I am so they'd have to do a whole house broadcast. Pretty clunky. As per a lot of HomePod features, seems a bit half baked.

According to Apple Support, you can reply. You have to tell Siri to reply. Not sure if the reply is recorded and played back or just Siri replying. 

• Reply 12 of 13
    JBSlough said:
    elijahg said:
    tokyojimu said:
    elijahg said:

According to Apple Support, you can reply. You have to tell Siri to reply. Not sure if the reply is recorded and played back or just Siri replying. 

That's the problem. Most people aren't going to read a support article for a feature like this. It'll go largely unused for the next year or two because of the half-baked launch, then it'll disappear in iOS 16.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Found an annoying "bug" in iPad OS 14.2. The delete key stopped working in Mail. Now I have to swipe to delete each email instead of just pressing the keyboard. Tried it with two bluetooth keyboards and the keyboard cover. Big bummer for me.

Don't know how you "break" something like this, or think it's a good idea to remove it. One of the two had to have happened...