Preorders for $1,099 iPhone 12 Pro Max now live

Posted:
in iPhone
Three weeks after opening preorders for the iPhone 12 Pro, Apple has restarted the process for the other Pro model, with the iPhone 12 Pro Max now available to preorder.

The iPhone 12 Pro Max color range
The iPhone 12 Pro Max color range

A delayed launch behind the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro, the iPhone 12 Pro Max can now be ordered from Apple directly. Customers who wanted the more advanced and larger version of the iPad Pro now have their chance to acquire the handset from the company directly.

Pre-orders for the iPhone 12 Pro Max started 5am PT on November 6, just like the other device preorders, with shipments set to start arriving one week later from November 13. Customers in the US, UK, Australia, China, Germany, Japan, and more than 30 other countries and regions will be able to make the pre-order on the same day.

As with other models, pre-orders usually sell out very quickly after they become available to buy, with delivery dates sometimes slipping within minutes of launch. Customers ordering later in the day could see their shipment times extend towards late November if orders are left too late.

The iPhone 12 Pro Max starts from $1,099 with a 128GB storage capacity, rising to $1,199 for 256GB, and $1,399 for 512GB. It is available in four colors: graphite, silver, gold, and "Pacific Blue."

Alongside the iPhone 12 Pro Max, Apple is also starting preorders for the iPhone 12 mini and the HomePod mini.

Sporting the largest screen of the range, the iPhone 12 Pro Max has a 6.7-inch Super Retina XDR display, an OLED screen with a resolution of 2,778 by 1,284, a pixel density of 458ppi, and up to 1,200 nits of brightness when watching HDR content.

Powered by the 5-nanometer A14 Bionic SoC with the next-generation Neural Engine, it has the same comparable specifications as the iPhone 12 Pro, such as Face ID support using the 12-MP TrueDepth camera array, 5G support, Apple Pay, and Ultra WideBand. However, the camera bump on the back is even more advanced than the version used in the non-Max Pro.

While it uses the same 12-megapixel cameras for the Ultra Wide, Wide, and Telephoto ranges, Apple has upgraded the zoom on the Max from a 2x optical zoom in to a 2.5x version, along with a 2x optical zoom out, giving it a 5x optical zoom range. This also means it has a longer digital zoom than the iPhone 12 Pro, with the Max going for up to 12x instead of 10x.

The telephoto camera has a dual optical image stabilization, with the wide camera also having a sensor-shift optical image stabilization system, similar to a DSLR's system. This enables it to be steadier while taking photographs or video, which can certainly help when taking shots in low-light situations.

Apple has also added HDR video recording with Dolby Vision support at up to 60fps, making it one of the few devices capable of filming, editing, and viewing Dolby Vision content. It is also capable of recording video at 60fps 4K video, 1080p 240fps slo-mo, and low-light videography due to its wide dynamic range.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    It now says says “Almost There”. 
  • Reply 2 of 32
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    bluefire1 said:
    Same. 
  • Reply 3 of 32
    llamallama Posts: 102member
    Same on one of my phones. My phone order went right in at 8 but my wife can’t even get into the store. 
  • Reply 4 of 32
    bluefire1 said:
    This is frustrating.  The other two times in recent years, that I tried to order at the stroke of announced pre-order time, I got frustrated and gave up for a few minutes. When I ordered, availability had already extended 3 or 4 weeks. 
  • Reply 5 of 32
    One and done! Pro Max, 2 cases and 2 HomePod Mini’s. BAM!!
    williamlondonllamapujones1
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Apple Store app can’t accept PayPal? Still waiting on webstore to open. 
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Apple you suck. I get up at 5 am to stare at this?  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 32
    otacorb said:
    One and done! Pro Max, 2 cases and 2 HomePod Mini’s. BAM!!
    Jealous! Ordered just one of the HP minis (to start) and the Max will be later. Enjoy your gorgeous new phone and speakers, very exciting!
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 9 of 32
    llamallama Posts: 102member
    I just kept trying until I could get it, got punted out twice, then had to keep retrying checkout maybe 10 times before in completed, but both are ordered now. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 32
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I got lucky... store opened for me at exactly 8:00:00. In and out in under a minute. 1 Pro Max & 2 cases. Now comes the hard part... waiting another week. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Okay, got my iPhone Pro Max 12 ordered. That was stressful!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Took me a few close outs of the AS app before I got through. Well, more than a few, but all good. Phone ordered and delivery in a week and also said YOLO and got an HP mini for the bedroom using the Apple Insider $10 off promo. Thanks AI! 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Done. iPhone 12 Pro Max 512 Gold.

The store went active on my iPhone about a minute-and-a-half or two minutes late (using the Apple Store app).
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 32
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Japhey said:
    I got lucky... store opened for me at exactly 8:00:00. In and out in under a minute. 1 Pro Max & 2 cases. Now comes the hard part... waiting another week. 

Same with me. I set everything up for the preorder on Wednesday. I opened the store app on my phone at 7:58 and got a message that said " You're early ..enjoy the extra few minutes of sleep". As soon as it hit 8am my order popped up ready to be confirmed. This was the smoothest year yet for me.

Silver Pro Max! Can't wait to get this gorgeous thing in my hands. B)
    Japhey
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Got in at 8.40 east coast time (forgot about the damn order!). 256GB unlocked Pacific Blue. Surprised I still managed to snag a Nov 13 delivery. 

(The 'pre-order' reminder that I had set up from Apple never came. Had to go through the order process all over again). 
    rezwits
  • Reply 16 of 32
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    Ordered! The page went live within 5 minutes of the scheduled time. Not a big deal.
  • Reply 17 of 32
    Done!! 12 Pro Max in Pacific Blue for Day 1 pick up. Yeah live was about 6 minutes late but no difference from website to app. I had everything ready in my favourites so just had to add to bag and pay. Had great fun with Vyyyper’s pre-order live stream 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 32
    I Got in at 8:02. Iphone 12 pro max graphite 256g arriving on launch day. 😎 
    williamlondonJaphey
  • Reply 19 of 32
    So far Ive never had an issue using the apple upgrade program getting the new phone on launch day. 
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Got in a few minutes after 0600 here in Phoenix. Had to divert to the military discount procedure and then returned to site. Ordered a Graphite iPhone 12 Pro Max 512GB and the orange (Kumquat) silicone case as I wanted to be able to find the iPhone.  The black Apple battery case on my iPhone 11 Pro Max "hides" all the time. Expecting the silicone case on Wednesday, 11 November and the iPhone on Friday, 13 November.  Happy camper.
    Japhey