'iPhone 13' same size as iPhone 12, gets improved ultra wide cameras says Ming-Chi Kuo

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
Typically reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claims that the "iPhone 13" range will consist of the same four sizes as the iPhone 12, but it and 2022's models will see significant upgrades to the Ultra Wide cameras on the higher end phones.

Mockup of an
Mockup of an "iPhone 13"

As the pre-orders start for the iPhone 12 mini, and iPhone 12 Pro Max, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is predicting a return to the regular launch schedule for "iPhone 13," plus some first specifics about what to expect in 2021 and 2022's iPhones.

In a note to investors seen by AppleInsider Kuo notes that "iPhone 13" range will again see four models. Each of the four is expected to be same sizes as in the current iPhone 12 range.

However, where each of the iPhone 12 models have the same Ultra Wide camera, the "iPhone 13 Pro" and "iPhone 13 Pro Max" will see an improvement. Currently the iPhone 12 Ultra Wide camera is a f/2.4, 5P lens.

If Kuo is correct, the two higher-end "iPhone 13" models will instead feature an Ultra Wide lens that is f/1.8, and 6P. Instead of the current fixed 13mm focal length, this would include variable autofocus.

Exploded view of Apple's current camera system (source: Apple)
Exploded view of Apple's current camera system (source: Apple)

According to Kuo, that improvement is to be retained for 2022's "iPhone 14" range, too. What may change is the mix of suppliers providing components for these cameras, with Kuo predicting that Largan will manufacture the needed voice coil motors that move the lenses.

Even as the iPhone 12 range pre-orders were reportedly greater than those for the iPhone 11 models, Kup expects more for next year's phones. He predicts that a return to the regular September unveiling of new models will be contribute to increased sales.

Plus Kuo believes that 5G will be more established by September 2021. While Apple introduced 5G with all models of the iPhone 12, the cell companies' infrastructure for the faster service is lagging behind expectations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Triskaidekaphobia will force Apple to give the iPhone 13 a different number.
    hippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    doaldoal Posts: 27member
    This is so incredibly stupid. We still haven’t gotten over the ridiculous hype over the iPhone 12 and they are already talking about the 13. 
    williamlondonrandominternetpersonlkruppcornchip
  • Reply 3 of 23
    This must be the “best iphone ever”...yawn
    chemengin1
  • Reply 4 of 23
    doal said:
    This is so incredibly stupid. We still haven’t gotten over the ridiculous hype over the iPhone 12 and they are already talking about the 13. 
    I was also a reference to the iPhone 14.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    This insatiable thirst for newness (and consequential instant obsolescence) of stuff is completely maddening. And the reason for the state of the world right now. I love my many gadgets, but this neck-breaking speed is making me dizzy, in a bad way.
    williamlondondoalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    just ordered my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I don't want to hear about the iPhone 13 for at least another six months  :D
    williamlondondoaltokyojimuhippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    doal said:
    It here is no “they”, it’s this jackwagon Ming Chi Kuo.
    lkruppwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 8 of 23
    This is great news but no iPhone 13 Mini info!  I will wait to buy the 2021 model iPhone Mini!  The iPhone 12 models might the beta iPhone models that Apple is using to work out any bugs before the 12S models are release in September 2021!
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 9 of 23
    brianusbrianus Posts: 160member
    The rumors so far make this sound like it should be called iPhone 12S - like they usually do when there’s no significant chassis change.

im a little disappointed, though. While the iPhone 12 mini is a step in the right direction, finally, it’s not quite as small as I’d hoped (original iPhone SE size). Was hoping they’d do the same thing they did with the iPod mini — replace it in the 2nd generation with an even smaller iteration. iPhone 12S nano!
    hippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    May get a 2020 SE for the Summer after holidays when the iPads are release. I think the price will drop on the SE models too. 1 year old!
    edited November 2020 pulseimageshippo
  • Reply 11 of 23
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    iPhone 13 gets improved AW camera and over 1 year wait time.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    This peaked my interest as I'll be ready to make my present 8 PLUS my back up.
    hippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    If Ming Chi Kuo is correct , which he usually is and Apples biggest improvement is the camera. I’ll skip a year. It’s time for some
    new hardware be it an iPhone with buttons on the side or a foldable iPhone  etc

• Reply 14 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I’m going to hold out for the iPhone 14! :p
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 15 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    bushman4 said:
    If Ming Chi Kuo is correct , which he usually is and Apples biggest improvement is the camera. I’ll skip a year. It’s time for some
    new hardware be it an iPhone with buttons on the side or a foldable iPhone  etc

Then hold out forever for all anyone cares. Better yet, switch to Android and be done with it. Then you’ll get hundreds of experiments in design/features/software. Most of it will be useless, faulty garbage but hey, it’ll be different. 
    hippowatto_cobraRayz2016GG1tmaycornchip
  • Reply 16 of 23
    doal said:
    They have to start early to get as much "predictions" as possible in before the phones are actually launched; how else are they going to have enough guesses to chose their success claims from?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23

brianus said:
    The rumors so far make this sound like it should be called iPhone 12S - like they usually do when there’s no significant chassis change.

im a little disappointed, though. While the iPhone 12 mini is a step in the right direction, finally, it’s not quite as small as I’d hoped (original iPhone SE size). Was hoping they’d do the same thing they did with the iPod mini — replace it in the 2nd generation with an even smaller iteration. iPhone 12S nano!
    Just get yourself an Apple Watch instead, that way you don't have to wait for any iterations to hit that nano display…
    hippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 23
    I just want a return of Touch ID, don’t care about much more. 
  • Reply 19 of 23
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    Triskaidekaphobia will force Apple to give the iPhone 13 a different number.
    I hope not. Those of us who were born of a Friday 13th will find the "13" slightly more attractive. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 20 of 23
    doal said:
    It here is no “they”, it’s this jackwagon Ming Chi Kuo.
    I’m more annoyed by people (like you!) who come to a Apple rumors site only to complain about what they’re reading. Especially from one of the most accurate analysts out there. 
    edited November 2020