UT In OS X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Well i wasn't a big fan of UT when it came out but now that i have this Dual 867Mhz i gave it another go the other day....(Quake 3 nut my self) and i must say i see the fun side of it....i went and played it in os 9 classic and it's good so i went looking for an update so i can play it in os x....found it.....but it's a sad beta....some maps don't work as i get errors back with the os x verson. And no Music....which kind of sad also as the music sounds good...it's been over a year when the os x beta of UT was updated and no update since.....how come? Quake 3 has been fixed and works nps in os x...why won't the guys that did the port finish it and move on when it's 'done'

Frank_t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    I never had any problems with UT under OS X... You're gonna have to look forward to UT 2003 i guess.. :/
  • Reply 2 of 18
    saabmp3saabmp3 Posts: 52member
    When you talk about UT do you mean Unreal Tournement or Urban Terror? I've been a big fan of Urban Terror for quite a while but finally got a PC to play it on (along with all the other games).

BEN
  • Reply 3 of 18
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Glenda Adams made a big mistake in announcing that she'd port UT to OS X. I'd rather know that a project has her complete commitment than her half-assed 'free time' argument with tease betas builds.

Of course, the many flames that burn me in the end from all sorts of people including the Westlake team is that:

She said she'd port it on her free time.

She's doing this out of good heart.

It's free, deal with it.

As if these comments are supposed to excuse the quality of a product. Maybe to some it does. But then, how about I go paint your house for free? Nice deal eh?

Anyways...it was a big mistake. Westlake or Glenda should have simply said...'no' to porting it if she knew she wouldn't have time. 'cuz right now, for any serious use, UT on OS X is garbage.

UT was a wildly popular game. Westlake could have put a collaborative effort to port it to OS X early to show that they care about their customers.

Whatever...I guess I'm bitter and it shows.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Yeah i know how you feel....most of the work has been done only thing left is small bugs that are still there....if i play the game in Tournamnet mode at the frist stage the last map in there it comes back with a URL error when it's loading.....and the game has no music...apart from those issues the rest for me is fine....not sure about online play....which maybe also the other thing which is holding this game back in os x

Is there a e-mail address i can use to send to her that there are still people waiting for the beta to become GM?

Frank_t
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Anyone?

Frank_t
  • Reply 6 of 18
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah UT X blows. I hope we see UT 2k3 before 2k4. It was out in 2k2 for PC...
  • Reply 7 of 18
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

Is there a e-mail address i can use to send to her that there are still people waiting for the beta to become GM?

Frank_t

Please, don't. As much as I'd love to have a full version, I'd rather have new games being ported.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Please, don't. As much as I'd love to have a full version, I'd rather have new games being ported.

Yeah...I agree. Let it die. If UTX was ported in a timely manner a year or more ago...then I would have been happy but it's a little too late now.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    I am happy with UT on X apart from the fact that X does not hog the CPU as well as 9 did so on my marginal computer I get more stutter in X than in 9

Thanks Glenda!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    I say if you start something you finish it....if this was how they where going to do it then why did they make a os x verson to start with? Becuase they know people still play this game....so get it done....most of the work is done! I'm not saying start over....all i'm saying is fixs the bugs it has and move on then.....if you let them do this who knows what will happen with other games when they need there bugs fixed bad? They say "don't worry about the mac os x users they stay happy with betas and bugs in there game all the time"....and go to the next thing.

If there so busy they can't fix the bugs it has give it to someone that is willing too on the out side.....if we can get Quake 1 and 2 working in os x with out any bugs let's have UT also!

Frank_t
  • Reply 11 of 18
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I say port UT2k3 already.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    I'm not saying they should stop everything for this but come on....DO SOMETHING!

Frank_t
  • Reply 13 of 18
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Anyone?

Frank_t

Why must you always bump your own threads? Do a google, check out insidemacgames.com

Quote:

Tuncer: Speaking of Unreal Tournament, you've been working on an OS X version of UT for the past few months and have released a few preview versions. Do you plan on releasing any more updates?

Glenda: I'd like to release another update, with some Jaguar specific optimizations. I really just haven't had any time to work on it in the last month or two unfortunately. I've been spending most of my work time and a good bit of over time on EverQuest the last few months, as well as helping out on "Finest Hour". I do feel bad that I haven't been able to do more timely updates on UTX, and will try to get back on it this fall.

As has been stated before, but with the completely wrong attitude, Glenda is doing this in her free time, for free. You were never promised it would run in X. Boot into 9 or get over it, it's freakin old. You don't see me crying into my pillow every night because Deus Ex didn't make it. *sniff*

Maybe it could be released to the community, though Epic might have a say in that, like bungie did with MythII. Bless their sell out souls. And now we've got MythII !!! in OSX.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

I say if you start something you finish it....if this was how they where going to do it then why did they make a os x verson to start with? Becuase they know people still play this game....so get it done....most of the work is done! I'm not saying start over....all i'm saying is fixs the bugs it has and move on then.....if you let them do this who knows what will happen with other games when they need there bugs fixed bad? They say "don't worry about the mac os x users they stay happy with betas and bugs in there game all the time"....and go to the next thing.

If there so busy they can't fix the bugs it has give it to someone that is willing too on the out side.....if we can get Quake 1 and 2 working in os x with out any bugs let's have UT also!

Frank_t

How can you ask people to waste their time and money with such indignance? Have you seen the number of games Westlake is bringing to the mac? You have a dual 867 and you're bitching about UTX? Jesus Christ you've never even played it online! The entire 'story' was just training for online play, Unreal was the single player, Unreal Tournament is strictly online play. Go buy Ghost Recon, or one of the many games Westlake has helped publish with Aspyr, MacSoft, or Destineer.

Did you even buy it? I'm going to assume yes because you seem like an old dude who wouldn't know how to 'get' it.

• Reply 15 of 18
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Urban Terror owns! Got tired of the "twitch peeps", so now I play Ghost Recon.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    123123 Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by serrano

How can you ask people to waste their time and money with such indignance? Have you seen the number of games Westlake is bringing to the mac?

Yes, always a year or so behind. Have you ever played UT or Unreal when it was new? They are still some of the best games available on the Mac, but honestly the port is crap. Hang-ups in OS9 on dial-up connections, memory leaks, pc incompatibilities (about the only thing, they're not solely to blame for), crashes, start-up takes too long and unnecessarily blocks the Mac, awful look and feel (clumsy), dirty networking code (interferes with other connections). Game of the year? No thanks to Westlake.

Quote:

You have a dual 867 and you're bitching about UTX? Jesus Christ you've never even played it online! The entire 'story' was just training for online play, Unreal was the single player, Unreal Tournament is strictly online play.

What has that to do with anything? Why shouldn't he play against bots if he likes to do so. It's high speed action, no brain needed, no unnecessary suspense, no surprises. Not everybody likes Unreal (I've never finished SP mode) or DeusEx-like games... boring.

Quote:

Go buy Ghost Recon, or one of the many games Westlake has helped publish with Aspyr, MacSoft, or Destineer.

Oh, didn't know they "helped" publish these titles... for free I assume. It's now a bit late but when OS X came out, they should have "helped" the gaming crowd and bring Total Annihilation, UT and other really good games to OS X instead of doing Nascar 02, spider man and Jeopardy 2 (WTF!!) ports.

Quote:

Did you even buy it? I'm going to assume yes because you seem like an old dude who wouldn't know how to 'get' it.

Not sure if someone should pay anything for something that doesn't even run properly on current machines.

BTW: I'd buy UT and TA again, if I could finally get rid of OS 9 (Westlake being the only reason why I still have to boot into 9). I'm happy they didn't get the porting job for 2k3.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    I'm with 123.....and yes i did buy this game by the way....i enjoy playing it like i still play Quake 3.....yes i know it's and 'old' game..but fun has no time frame where i come from....if the game is still fun to play then go for it i say!....yes there are other good games out there but my point is if your going to port it to this OS FINISH it....been OVER a year now since the last beta.....if the person is too busy to finish it pass it on to someone that can finish it...i'm sure there would be someone.

I for one am a F1 race fan and am sad to see it has only one game F1 2000 on the mac......if they can port nascar 2002 and now 2003 why not make the other people from the rest of the world that don't like nascar by porting a good F1 2003 game? Why? Becuase we don't live in the USA.....but i'm going off topic here so all i'm saying is i wanted them to finish the os x port befor it get's even older this game we call UT.

Frank_t
  • Reply 18 of 18
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I assume your talking about the vesrion 436x3. I use it all the time and enjoy it just fine

course I get my ass whipped (most oft) online by people who seem to be much faster than me . . . cold be my 'skill', could be my Mac (dual 500), cold be the UT version?!?! . . .

I could care less about the lack of music . . . .

the only thing that bothers me is that I 'got' my version and can't log into servers running "Pure" except BOOMTOWN servers

anybody know a work around for that problem

by the way....in UT land, I tend to be Zambo-Record-Party . . .

who are you?