iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro Max start shipping ahead of November 13 release date

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2020
Some Apple customers who pre-ordered the iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max are finding their orders have updated with shipping information advising their iPhone is on the way, but it is unlikely that many of the deliveries will actually occur before November 13.

On Friday, Apple opened up pre-orders through the online Apple Store for the iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 Pro Max, the last two models of the current iPhone generation to be released. The first customers to place orders can expect quicker deliveries to occur, with the earliest potentially taking place on November 13, Apple's announced availability date for the models.

Not all customers will receive their orders on that date, as the delivery time estimates started to slip for both models shortly after it became available to purchase.

In a similar fashion to pre-orders for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro in the first wave, customers who were lucky enough to order quickly are starting to see updates. A number of users on Reddit are reporting shipment updates through systems operated by Apple and its courier partners, with some claiming the order itself has shipped.

Some further advise that their orders are listed as being prepared to ship for delivery on November 13. Regardless of whether it has shipped or is being prepared, it is highly unlikely that a large number of customers will receive their iPhone orders ahead of that time.

As with the first wave of orders and other previous product launches, Apple works with delivery partners to try and maintain the set release date for its products, meaning that deliveries will largely occur on or after Apple's mandated release date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    DrummerladDrummerlad Posts: 20unconfirmed, member
    If you have a “my choice” account at ups, you can login, and see the shipment in China before Apple actually says it’s shipped.  They(Apple) post the shipment when it hits American Soil.  Mine is tracking, and scheduled for the November 13th release date.  In all the years that I’ve been buying IPhones, I’ve only had one come early, the iPhone 4, the first with retina screen. I had it a day early,  
    edited November 2020 caccamuccaronntomowabluefire1
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    If you have a “my choice” account at ups, you can login, and see the shipment in China before Apple actually says it’s shipped.  They(Apple) post the shipment when it hits American Soil.  Mine is tracking, and scheduled for the November 13th release date.  In all the years that I’ve been buying IPhones, I’ve only had one come early, the iPhone 4, the first with retina screen. I had it a day early,  
    I was told by a guy who works at a local UPS facility that because of concerns about fraud (fake ID’s) that people can’t pick up their iPhones (or even Apple Watches)  in person-they have to wait until it’s delivered to the home. However, the guy I spoke with at the UPS national center was unaware of any such policy. Anyone else aware of this?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Agreed. Mine is showing up in the UPS MY CHOICE app, but has the orange EXCEPTION alert beside with an 11/13 expected delivery date.  UPS uses the EXCEPTION alert to

A) signify a problem with the shipment, or;

B) indicate that a package still has to go through customs, or,

C) hold a package at the shipper’s request to deliver on a specified date ( we are talking about you Apple).

UPS with MY CHOICE enabled provides the most tracking information, including the”See where my Driver Is” on the day of delivery, just like Amazon.

FEDEX app barely updates daily, and the USPS app is mostly useless as it rarely shows anything beyond “shipped” and then “Out for Delivery “ the day of delivery ( to be fair, they use a lot of third party carriers in their routes)

Lasership and last mile carriers, let’s not talk about them.

Is this where I am supposed to say “Here is a potato” or is that just in 9GAG?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    The iPhone will sit in Alaska for days awaiting customs approval before moving forward.  And in my case, it went to a hub in Kentucky and then flown back to California to arrive on Oct 23.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I was told by a guy who works at a local UPS facility that because of concerns about fraud (fake ID’s) that people can’t pick up their iPhones (or even Apple Watches)  in person-they have to wait until it’s delivered to the home. However, the guy I spoke with at the UPS national center was unaware of any such policy. Anyone else aware of this?
    I had my IPhone 12 Pro held for pick up so that info is not accurate.  I will do the same for Max. 
    bluefire1
  • Reply 6 of 9
    bluefire1 said:
    You can’t pick your phone up at at UPS store, but you can pick it up at the closest “Hub”.  That’s a UPS center that is where all the deliveries go out from.  I’ve done it at least 10 times, it’s reliable, consist, and VERY protected by lock and key.  Your phone is literally locked up until you pick it up.  
    bluefire1
  • Reply 7 of 9

Agreed. Mine is showing up in the UPS MY CHOICE app, but has the orange EXCEPTION alert beside with an 11/13 expected delivery date.  UPS uses the EXCEPTION alert to

A) signify a problem with the shipment, or;

B) indicate that a package still has to go through customs, or,

C) hold a package at the shipper’s request to deliver on a specified date ( we are talking about you Apple).

UPS with MY CHOICE enabled provides the most tracking information, including the”See where my Driver Is” on the day of delivery, just like Amazon.

FEDEX app barely updates daily, and the USPS app is mostly useless as it rarely shows anything beyond “shipped” and then “Out for Delivery “ the day of delivery ( to be fair, they use a lot of third party carriers in their routes)

Lasership and last mile carriers, let’s not talk about them.

Is this where I am supposed to say “Here is a potato” or is that just in 9GAG?
    The short story here is thank goodness Apple has UPS as their IPhone delivery carrier!  
  • Reply 8 of 9
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    bluefire1 said:
    You can’t pick your phone up at at UPS store, but you can pick it up at the closest “Hub”.  That’s a UPS center that is where all the deliveries go out from.  I’ve done it at least 10 times, it’s reliable, consist, and VERY protected by lock and key.  Your phone is literally locked up until you pick it up.  
    That’s the problem: I called the national  UPS# In order to pick up my AW6 a few days afterwards. When I went to the UPS Center they directed me to, the guys said that they couldn’t  give me any package that contained an Apple technological product. Fortunately, the package didn’t specify exactly what was in it, so I was able to leave with it. 
    I don’t  know if this is a particular issue with one hub or a nationwide regulation, but from what you’re saying, it may have been specific to that particular center. 
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I can see both Friday and Sunday availability for pickup at an Apple Store for most models. Better than waiting for a second wave of shipping if COVID-19 hasn’t shut down the stores in your area.