Apple introduces new Apple Silicon Mac mini with $699 price tag

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
At Apple's "one more thing" event, the company debuted a new Mac mini equipped with the company's M1 Apple Silicon, and it starts at $699.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

The M1 Apple-designed chipset features an eight-core CPU and an eight-core GPU, bringing the Mac mini up to three times the CPU performance and six times the graphics performance compared to the previous four-core Intel version.

Apple says that the new Apple Silicon Mac mini can compile code in Xcode up to three times faster, render a complex timeline in Final Cut Pro up to 6 times faster, and play graphics-intensive games like "Shadow of the Tomb Raider" with up to 4 times higher frame rates. ML workloads are seeing likely the most significant boost, and will be up to 15 times faster.

Compared to the top-selling PC desktop in the same price range, the M1 Mac mini is one-tenth the size but is up to five times faster. That is, it's worth noting, compared to a Intel Core i5-based PC with Intel UHD Graphics 630.

The new Mac mini now features two USB 4 ports with Thunderbolt 3 support, allowing users to run up to two Pro Display XDR monitors at full 6K resolution. The device also supports Wi-Fi 6 and features a new thermal design with a fan that allows it to sustain performance while keeping cool and quiet.

There are some differences compared to the Intel-based Mac mini. There are now only two Thunderbolt ports, down from four Thunderbolt 3 ports on the previous model, and 10-gigabit Ethernet is no longer available as an upgrade option.

The M1 Mac mini starts at $699, $100 cheaper than the previous Intel-based desktop. An upgrade to 16GB of unified memory costs $200. The model with 256GB of storage can be upgraded to 512GB for $200, 1TB for $400, and 2TB for $800.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56

I guess I was right, in my posts on this website. The Mac Mini would be one of the first Apple Silicon Macs. I don't recall anyone else predicting that. Yay me!

80s_Apple_GuytmayFidonet127rmusikantowrikipedia
  • Reply 2 of 56
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    This is more exciting to me than the rest. $699 for a great performance desktop. It’s time to replace my 10 years old Mac Mini even though it’s still working great.
    williamlondonseanjwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 56

I guess I was right, in my posts on this website. The Mac Mini would be one of the first Apple Silicon Macs. I don't recall anyone else predicting that. Yay me!

Given the form factor that was provided to developers, this isn't a surprise at all.
    razorpitMacProforgot usernameStrangeDaysfastasleepBeatsmacseekerretrogustoseanjRayz2016
  • Reply 4 of 56
    I am actually shocked that the Mac mini has been refreshed this quickly, after the previous gen taking nearly 4 years to get done. I bought the 4 core in April, with the storage refresh, thinking it would be a couple of years before the next refresh. Probably not the best time to buy.
    razorpitwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 56

Given the form factor that was provided to developers, this isn't a surprise at all.
    That was one of the reasons I cited, but nobody concurred. I wonder why.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    If it makes you feel any better I bought one last November before the storage refresh.  :D

So, I’m assuming the M1 will run Windows via Parallels “x” times faster?
    OutdoorAppDeveloperwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 56
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    razorpit said:
    Yes, where "x" is less than one.
    fastasleepwilliamlondonRayz2016llama
  • Reply 8 of 56
    I really despise these marketing people at Apple. No specs on storage or CPU options, but full of BS like

speeds “UP TO” 
    prices “FROM”
    and the ultimate intelligence buster... $x99

OutdoorAppDeveloperwilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 56
    Hope you don't need more than 16 GB of RAM.
    Previous version was up to 64 GB.
    FD: I am likely to buy one of these once the dust settles. At least I get to keep it this time.
    llama
  • Reply 10 of 56
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    rossb2 said:
    I am actually shocked that the Mac mini has been refreshed this quickly, after the previous gen taking nearly 4 years to get done. I bought the 4 core in April, with the storage refresh, thinking it would be a couple of years before the next refresh. Probably not the best time to buy.
    And before that previous refresh, people were saying it was dead and to 'get over it'. 

The price point is definitely not a put off for many potential users.

We'll have to see how things play out with regards to what hasn't been said though and over the coming weeks that information will seep out. 
  • Reply 11 of 56
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Was my guess as well. Simply because of the DTK. But I also assumed they would release a different SoC for the mini. It seems they're going a different route; allowing the SoC to run at full speed as long as possible with the active cooling. The Air's performance will probably drop after so many seconds to keep the heat down. Which is a fair trade off.
    retrogustowatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 56
    Hi.Jack said:
    I really despise these marketing people at Apple. No specs on storage or CPU options, but full of BS like

speeds “UP TO” 
    prices “FROM”

You could just wait a damn minute for the store to go live and answer all of these questions easily. 
    williamlondonrandominternetpersonmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 56
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    razorpit said:

WoA? Microsoft hasn't made WoA available for anyone other than certain OEMs.
    Wintel? Parallels is virtualization, not emulation. Will need to wait for X64 hardware emulators. (see QEMU)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 56
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Mac Mini users complain the most(understandably).

Glad you got an update. I'm underwhelmed by lack of new designs and new features. "Speed" isn't a new feature.

The ending was epic though!
  • Reply 15 of 56
    I wonder if these memory sizes (unified) are comparable 1:1 to the other (Intel CPU) ones, seeing how they’re on the SOC chip. 
    edited November 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 56
    So, so close... Looks incredible. I could put up with 16GB of RAM but I see this only supports 2 monitors. I need 3 with my setup. Doh!

I thought it was in the bag and had the credit card out to order... Ah well. It does look tremendous though. All three products look really special. One of the great days for the Mac. And almost one for me... 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 56
    Hi.Jack said:

speeds “UP TO” 
    prices “FROM”

Psychology/human nature. Ignore it at your sakes peril. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 56

Hi.Jack said:

speeds “UP TO” 
    prices “FROM”

You could just wait a damn minute for the store to go live and answer all of these questions easily. 
    All of nine posts. How much you wanna bet all trolls. 
    fastasleepseanjdocno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Was hoping a nice non-pro Apple branded display would accompany this one. Leaving money on the table as antsy iMac early adopters switch to Mini and someone else’s display. 
    randominternetpersondocno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 56
    Was hoping a nice non-pro Apple branded display would accompany this one. Leaving money on the table as antsy iMac early adopters switch to Mini and someone else’s display. 
    I still think we may get one matching the next iMac redesign, something using the same panels etc.  Or, so I hope. 
    watto_cobra