Apple debuts new MacBook Air with Apple Silicon M1 chip

Comments

• Reply 21 of 130
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    elijahg said:
    docno42 said:
    elijahg said:
    I notice the price is the same as before, so rather than dropping the price due to cheaper CPU and increasing accessibility for people, they're just absorbing the extra profit. Great, that's the Cook Way. ߙ䦬t;/div>
    You aren’t buying a collection of parts, your buying functionality.

If you don’t think the value proposition works for you, don’t buy it.  Frankly I’m surprised they didn’t raise the price - this little thing called inflation means they are already grossing less just from that alone.  

If you want cheap crap there are plenty of other vendors to choose from out there.  Have at it.   I have no problem paying more for a better experience.
    Yes, all these added bells and whistles are nice, looking better on webcam etc, faster ML, but those things are super niche. Better battery is great, but having 10 hours vs 20 isn't essential. When's the last time you worried about how you look on webcam, or how fast ML is? It's actually less functionality for me at least, as it can't run Windows which I use for parts of my job - And so does Apple. Amusingly, the Mac Pros are running Modelsim, which is a logic analyser. And it's Windows only. I used Windows on my Mac regularly at uni, if I couldn't, I would have got a PC laptop. Same for several of my friends at uni.
    My wife line of work requieres long videoconference meetings.  And my current MBP 2017 is terrible in battery life and camera quality.  Looking forward to replace it with the new model just to fix these two issues, in addition to the noisy fan during the meetings.  
    edited November 2020 docno42ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 130
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member

docno42 said:
    elijahg said:
    I notice the price is the same as before, so rather than dropping the price due to cheaper CPU and increasing accessibility for people, they're just absorbing the extra profit. Great, that's the Cook Way. ߙ䦬t;/div>

If you don’t think the value proposition works for you, don’t buy it.  Frankly I’m surprised they didn’t raise the price - this little thing called inflation means they are already grossing less just from that alone.  

If you want cheap crap there are plenty of other vendors to choose from out there.  Have at it.   I have no problem paying for a better experience.  I originally typed out paying more for a better experience, but comparing previous Air to this one you aren’t paying more for a machine that appears to be better in every way.

Yup - damn those greedy Apple bustards!
    Lol yeah these dudes crack me up, they’re used to lemonade stand economics and that’s about it. No real world experience in product, don’t grasp value propositions, likely have never run a business, etc etc.. Just IT nerds doin what they do best — bitchin’. 
    What’s with you and the IT bashing today? Somebody make Mr. Disposable Income angry at work this week?
    elijahgmobirdwilliamlondoncornchip
  • Reply 23 of 130
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    elijahg said:
    Insanity. You’re conveniently overlooking years of R&D which you apparently believe falls off trees. Now they have to recoup that. A more capable machine at the same price despite inflation is an appealing value proposition. Out in the real world, where people will snap these up, nobody cares about IT dudes pretending to be CEOs whining about things they don’t understand. 
    My friend, Apple could release a poo emoji for $599 and you'd say it's the most amazing and unique product in the universe. 

But either way, nope. Most of the the R&D has already been done in the chips used in iPhones and iPads, did you forget the iPad Air is only $329? Do you somehow think the M1 is entirely unique? If it was, then yes absolutely the cost is justified. But it's not, it's a reconfigured A14. And as I said, I'm not so sure they will without Windows support as a fallback. I know several people who won't get one because it can no longer run Windows. Indeed the school I worked at has Macs at the moment because they can use Windows programs in Boot Camp, but without it they'll go back to PCs.
    edited November 2020 Paradroid
  • Reply 24 of 130
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Disappointed by the no design refresh. iPad Pro style thin bezel screens and Face ID should have been included in the new MacBooks. Every other PC manufacturer is now making top line notebooks with modern edge to edge screen designs and Apple is still shipping a machine that looks almost identical to what they first released in 2015. Face ID is the most baffling thing of all. The Mac is the best suited platform to unlock the power of Face ID and it’s the only platform where it’s not available. 
    Face ID would be nice but I suspect they don’t have enough room in the bezel you were just complaining about.  It does have Touch ID so that’s very nice.  I’m sure there will be other designs as they get more into the 2 year transition more.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 130
    elijahg said:
    I notice the price is the same as before, so rather than dropping the price due to cheaper CPU and increasing accessibility for people, they're just absorbing the extra profit. Great, that's the Cook Way. 🙄
    Gosh, that $100 price drop on the new Mini must have broken your brain, huh? 
    tmayRayz2016williamlondonmwhitecornchipjony0randominternetpersonrezwitsronnurahara
  • Reply 26 of 130
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    What moving to Intel was to getting Windows users switch platforms because of the Boot Camp/VM "safety net", the ability to run all your iPhone and iPad apps on a laptop or desktop will push even more Windows users to the Mac.
    docno42cornchipronnwatto_cobraspock1234Beats
  • Reply 27 of 130
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Anyone know how corporate remote access tools like Citrix Receiver work on this new M1 model?

That’s a key requirement for our teams.  Many have been holding out waiting for this
    Not for sure, but I expect exactly the same as an iPad.
    williamlondoncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 130
    elijahg said:
    But either way, nope. Most of the the R&D has already been done in the chips used in iPhones and iPads, did you forget the iPad Air is only $329?
    You aren’t buying component parts.  Your buying a device that delivers an experience.  

If you wan’t to parse with vendors where you can break things out by component parts, they exist.  With the corresponding user experience as well.  Have at it!  
    fastasleeptmaywilliamlondonronnwatto_cobraBeats
  • Reply 29 of 130
    It will be interesting to see if the tech press starts treating the M series for desktops/laptops the same way that the A series is treated for phones/tablets, i.e., deemphasizing the higher performance versus competitors when it comes to the overall rating for the product.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 130
    elijahg said:
    docno42 said:
    elijahg said:

If you want cheap crap there are plenty of other vendors to choose from out there.  Have at it.   I have no problem paying more for a better experience.
    Better battery is great, but having 10 hours vs 20 isn't essential. When's the last time you worried about how you look on webcam, or how fast ML is?
    I am lol’ing at your dismal of doubling the battery life to an insane 20 hours. That’s incredible for a machine on the go, and you’re acting like it’s unimportant. “But but but they didn’t make this new machine that does more cheaper!”

And nobody “worries” about how fast ML is since you can’t see it. You feel it tho, in snappier apps. 

At least we know you’re gonna be butthurt about anything and everything, regardless of the announcement. If only we had a word for that...
    docno42tmayfastasleepchiawilliamlondonmwhiteronnuraharawatto_cobraspock1234
  • Reply 31 of 130

docno42 said:
    elijahg said:

If you want cheap crap there are plenty of other vendors to choose from out there.  Have at it.   I have no problem paying for a better experience.  I originally typed out paying more for a better experience, but comparing previous Air to this one you aren’t paying more for a machine that appears to be better in every way.

Lol yeah these dudes crack me up, they’re used to lemonade stand economics and that’s about it. No real world experience in product, don’t grasp value propositions, likely have never run a business, etc etc.. Just IT nerds doin what they do best — bitchin’. 
    You're the one with no real world experience, if Macs are such great value why is it a Mac with almost identical specs to a Windows machine is so much more expensive? A Dell XPS is cheaper than a Mac, has the same specs and is cheaper. And surely if "running a business" is a way to know value proposition, every business would be full of Macs, but they aren't. Why do you think that is?
  • Reply 32 of 130
    They list one of the differences between Air and Pro as "USB-C power port". What does that mean?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 130
    With all the new “guts” inside I was surprised they didn’t update the actually hardware design, especially the MacBooks. Smaller bezels, some design cues from the phone or Mac Pro perhaps? 
    This felt like a moment to introduce a new design. It’s weird they didn’t.

I also expected them to support 5G in laptops, but alas. 

Looking forward to their iMac and MacBook Pro 16” offering, especially GPU.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 130

Disappointed by the no design refresh. iPad Pro style thin bezel screens and Face ID should have been included in the new MacBooks. Every other PC manufacturer is now making top line notebooks with modern edge to edge screen designs and Apple is still shipping a machine that looks almost identical to what they first released in 2015. Face ID is the most baffling thing of all. The Mac is the best suited platform to unlock the power of Face ID and it’s the only platform where it’s not available. 
    I’m guessing the lid is too thin for face is sensor array? Would be nice for sure 
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 130
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    elijahg said:
    mwhite said:
    elijahg said:

Shut up!!!!
    Thankyou for your contribution. 
    Yes, it was about as informative as yours. 
    edited November 2020 williamlondoncornchipjony0ronnuraharawatto_cobraroundaboutnowspock1234jdb8167
  • Reply 36 of 130
    It will be interesting to see if the tech press starts treating the M series for desktops/laptops the same way that the A series is treated for phones/tablets, i.e., deemphasizing the higher performance versus competitors when it comes to the overall rating for the product.
    As an Mac user since 1986 when I shake my magic 8 ball it instantly responded “Most assuredly YES”

Luckily all the critics of Apple over the last several decades haven’t impacted the performance or my enjoyment of my Mac’s yet.  I can’t wait to see the mental gymnastics to try to downplay what Apple has delivered here today in their first (!!) round of Apple Silicon Macs.  

Which is also important - this is the START of the transition, not the end.  
    foregoneconclusionchiacornchipjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 130
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:
    Insanity. You’re conveniently overlooking years of R&D which you apparently believe falls off trees. Now they have to recoup that. A more capable machine at the same price despite inflation is an appealing value proposition. Out in the real world, where people will snap these up, nobody cares about IT dudes pretending to be CEOs whining about things they don’t understand. 
    My friend, Apple could release a poo emoji for $599 and you'd say it's the most amazing and unique product in the universe. 

But either way, nope. Most of the the R&D has already been done in the chips used in iPhones and iPads, did you forget the iPad Air is only $329? Do you somehow think the M1 is entirely unique? If it was, then yes absolutely the cost is justified. But it's not, it's a reconfigured A14. And as I said, I'm not so sure they will without Windows support as a fallback. I know several people who won't get one because it can no longer run Windows. Indeed the school I worked at has Macs at the moment because they can use Windows programs in Boot Camp, but without it they'll go back to PCs.
    It is a unique chip. If you really think the nam of the chip being M1 and now A14 is only for marketing I'd love for you to back up that claim.

You're somehow conflating a lower cost in the chip with lowering the total cost of the machine. Did you not see all the other advancements coming to the MBA? Those aren't insignificant but you want to claim they didn't cost anything? You're also ignoring that the Mac mini si $100 less, which may be because there isn't need for batteries (which may be larger now that there is less room needed for cooling the CPU and GPU, it could be from the Mac mini not having a display or camera (which they stated was now improved in the MBA), and/or many other aspects that are different between a notebook and desktop. The point is you're ignoring that they did lower the cost of the Mac mini (which apparently Apple would never do because it's all about greed blah blah blah) and made the MBA the biggest YoY update by a very large margin (which apparently Apple would never do because it's all about greed blah blah blah).

This is a good day for the future of the Mac.
    fastasleepwilliamlondonRayz2016randominternetpersonronnwatto_cobraroundaboutnowspock1234
  • Reply 38 of 130

elijahg said:
    elijahg said:
    I notice the price is the same as before, so rather than dropping the price due to cheaper CPU and increasing accessibility for people, they're just absorbing the extra profit. Great, that's the Cook Way. 🙄
    What makes you think that the total cost of designing and contracting out the manufacture of this new SOC is less than buying off-the-shelf Intel products?
    It's estimated the similar A series chip used in iPhones are about $60, which is a lot less than the $150 for the i3 in the MBA. The i3 also needs the supporting chipset too, whereas the M1 is a SoC with pretty much everything on board.
    Estimated by whom? What is the breakdown? Fabrication only? How does the estimator factor in internal manpower, R&D, etc? It’s not an off the shelf part so those costs are intangible to anyone outside of Apple. 
    fastasleepwilliamlondoncornchipRayz2016randominternetpersonronnwatto_cobraspock1234jdb8167
  • Reply 39 of 130

docno42 said:
    elijahg said:
    Yes, all these added bells and whistles are nice, looking better on webcam etc, faster ML, but those things are super niche. Better battery is great, but having 10 hours vs 20 isn't essential. When's the last time you worried about how you look on webcam, or how fast ML is? It's actually less functionality for me at least, as it can't run Windows which I use for parts of my job - And so does Apple. Amusingly, the Mac Pros are running Modelsim, which is a logic analyser. And it's Windows only. I used Windows on my Mac regularly at uni, if I couldn't, I would have got a PC laptop. Same for several of my friends at uni.
    With that kind of battery life I will no longer care that magsafe is gone.  It’s now irrelevant.  If you need Windows that sucks and these machines aren’t for you (yet).  Luckily I have no such needs for my laptop.  I only care about Windows for gaming and I have a gaming PC for that.  

Also the Windows story on Apple Silicon hasn’t been completely told yet.  We know Parallels is working on x86 emulation and since Apple owns their CPU design it wouldn’t surprise me if it was going to be beneficial and not complicate things that they have hardware assist for x86 emulation.  I’m not holding my breath, but Apple knows x86 is going to be an issue for Pro’s so I wouldn’t count something like that out.

It’s WAY early in this transition.  This is the start of a 2 year process, according to Apple.  It will be interesting to see how things play out, that’s for sure.
    Perhaps Apple will release a dual-CPU machine with an Intel CPU and an M1, so we don't have to live with emulation. Emulation is horribly slow without hardware support. Don't know if you ever tried to use Windows on a PPC Mac, but it was excruciatingly slow.
  • Reply 40 of 130
    elijahg said:

docno42 said:
    elijahg said:

You're the one with no real world experience, if Macs are such great value why is it a Mac with almost identical specs to a Windows machine is so much more expensive? A Dell XPS is cheaper than a Mac, has the same specs and is cheaper. And surely if "running a business" is a way to know value proposition, every business would be full of Macs, but they aren't. Why do you think that is?
    LOL You can't look at a handful of specs and claim something is the same. There is no T2 in the Dell. There is no Touch ID. Both having an SSD does not make something "the same."
    fastasleepwilliamlondonronnwatto_cobraroundaboutnowspock1234Rayz2016