Apple introduces new Apple Silicon Mac mini with $699 price tag

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    KidGloves said:
    So, so close... Looks incredible. I could put up with 16GB of RAM but I see this only supports 2 monitors. I need 3 with my setup. Doh!

I thought it was in the bag and had the credit card out to order... Ah well. It does look tremendous though. All three products look really special. One of the great days for the Mac. And almost one for me... 
    Three monitors to me sounds like you’d better wait for a more professional oriented offering, perhaps the MacBook Pro 16?
    mike1
  • Reply 22 of 56
    Am I wrong in thinking that this will be a great candidate for server farms (either now or soon when appropriate software is available)? It seems to me that the ratio of performance to power and heat combined with the compact form factor and low price would make it much better than anything currently available for this application. 
    williamlondonrandominternetpersonasdasdwatto_cobrarazorpit
  • Reply 23 of 56
    Apple Insider post says four TB/USB4 ports on the new AS Mini. Wrong, only two.
    RAM maxes out at 16GB.
    Storage fares better, with options into multi TBs.

williamlondonwatto_cobrarazorpit
  • Reply 24 of 56
    KidGloves said:
    So, so close... Looks incredible. I could put up with 16GB of RAM but I see this only supports 2 monitors. I need 3 with my setup. Doh!

I thought it was in the bag and had the credit card out to order... Ah well. It does look tremendous though. All three products look really special. One of the great days for the Mac. And almost one for me... 
    Three monitors to me sounds like you’d better wait for a more professional oriented offering, perhaps the MacBook Pro 16?
    This is actually good news in a way. With only 2 TB ports instead of 4 in the Intel Mini, and a quarter of the max ram, Apple is intentionally hobbling the new Mini. This more or less confirms that the fabled xMac is coming. If it's halfway between this and the Mac Pro I'll be a happy man. They still mentioned that the transition will take 2 years but hopefully that's just a ploy to keep folk buying up current Intel stock and by the end on 2021 the iMac, xMac and Pro will all be getting the Apple Silicon speedy goodness.
    williamlondonrazorpit
  • Reply 25 of 56
    Pleasantly surprised the Intel versions for the 13" MacBook Pro and the Mac Mini are still available to order ... I wonder how long that will be the case ...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 56
    egpu support?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 56
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    It seems there are two M1 chips, one with 8GB RAM and one with 16 GB RAM, for USD$200 more.
    lit will be interesting to see if the 16 GB is needed all that much. This is more like RAM in an iPad than in an intel machine.
    also what is the optimum configuration of RAM and SSD options for performance without breaking the bank on SSD cost.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 56
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

I guess I was right, in my posts on this website. The Mac Mini would be one of the first Apple Silicon Macs. I don't recall anyone else predicting that. Yay me!

I predicted it, but I may have walked it back because everyone was denying it. I was still hoping for it, and now I'm substantially poorer because of it.

Plus, upgrading the RAM means it takes a week longer to get here.

I do have a slight concern about the lack of ports on these new Macs. I think 4 was a sweet spot, and two is kind of a problem. Once you plug in your dock, that's pretty much it, and I'm disappointed in the number of ports in the available TB docks, although once the TB4 ones become available, that should help.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 56
    XedXed Posts: 2,560member
    I think my Mac mini with socketed RAM just went up in value.
  • Reply 30 of 56
    entropys said:
    It seems there are two M1 chips, one with 8GB RAM and one with 16 GB RAM, for USD$200 more.
    lit will be interesting to see if the 16 GB is needed all that much. 
    I agree. And I just ordered the 16 GB RAM version of the Mac Mini, just to be safe. I'm more of a tinkerer than anything else, so 8GB would probably be enough.
    seanjwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 56
    KidGloves said:

You may want to check the details on that. I run two external monitors on my MBP using a dock/hub. It might be possible to run multiple monitors using an external device that supports multiple monitors. May also depend on the resolution of the multiple monitors. Are you running 3x4k? Or will 1080 work?
    edited November 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 56
    Was hoping a nice non-pro Apple branded display would accompany this one. Leaving money on the table as antsy iMac early adopters switch to Mini and someone else’s display. 
    I'm probably going to get a mini for my kid to replace his iMac.  What's a good 4K monitor to go with it?  Maybe a Dell (shudder)?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Xed said:
    Yeah, when something better and cheaper comes out, legacy equipment tends to soar in value.
    mike1watto_cobrabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 34 of 56
    entropys said:
    lit will be interesting to see if the 16 GB is needed all that much. This is more like RAM in an iPad than in an intel machine.
    also what is the optimum configuration of RAM and SSD options for performance without breaking the bank on SSD cost.
    Check out the MacBook Air options.  The entry-priced ones only has 7 GPU cores.  So that's either yet another version or they disable one core for thermal reasons perhaps?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 56
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    KidGloves said:

I know they said two monitors at 6K, but not sure that necessarily means you couldn't run more than two at lower resolutions. Maybe through a hub?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 56
    XedXed Posts: 2,560member
    Xed said:
    Yeah, when something better and cheaper comes out, legacy equipment tends to soar in value.
    Your comment sounds sarcastic, but that is what happened the last time Apple switched the Mac mini to soldered RAM. I hope it happens again because I'll glad sell someone the latest Intel Mac mini with soldered RAM for a new one with an M1 chip that is is considerably faster.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 56
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Hi.Jack said:
    I really despise these marketing people at Apple. No specs on storage or CPU options, but full of BS like

speeds “UP TO” 
    prices “FROM”
    and the ultimate intelligence buster... $x99

They probably assumed you knew how to use a web browser.

https://www.apple.com/macbook-air/specs/

docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 56
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Only providing two ports seems idiotic for a desktop Mac.  Everything else about the machine looks great.

I was disappointed to see 8GB for this and the Air but thankfully after going to the store it was nice to see 16GB as an option.  My current Air gets killed by Safari so the thought of being stuck at 8GB was not an appealing thought. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 56
    Are you sure about it being Thunderbolt 4?  I never heard them actually say Thunderbolt 4, just Thunderbolt in general and then USB 4.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 56
    I'm probably going to get a mini for my kid to replace his iMac.  What's a good 4K monitor to go with it?  Maybe a Dell (shudder)?
    There are actually only a few 4K monitors that work at the ideal ppi - interesting article here:
    https://bjango.com/articles/macexternaldisplays/

Personally we got a 1440p (QHD) panel. It’s not as good as 4K obviously but it’s way better than 1080p and not much more expensive.
    edited November 2020 watto_cobra