Apple debuts new MacBook Air with Apple Silicon M1 chip

Comments

• Reply 81 of 130
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    elijahg said:

But that was in reply to StrangeDays claiming that he has real world experience with businesses etc. Which clearly he doesn't otherwise he'd know Windows is still king in the business world.
    Since there are far more consumers than businesses, I think Apple will survive without being "king" in the business world. 

Also my next work laptop will likely be a Mac.  Something I would have NEVER expected to happen in my world.  Blackberry used to rule business too.  

I'm sorry you aren't having as smooth an experience with your Mac's - technology is complex and as it continues to get even more interconnected there will still be challenges.  Overall I find less friction with Apple than other vendors.  If you don't for your mix of needs and other solutions can work better then have at it.  That's why I'm a huge fan of choice and think focuses on things like being "king" are silly.   

I don't need my computing platforms to be a zero sum game.  For Apple to win others don't have to loose and vice versa.  Once again, I thought "diversity is our strength" was supposed to be the current enlightened groupthink :p
    rezwitsronndewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 130
    elijahg said:

docno42 said:
    elijahg said:
    I notice the price is the same as before, so rather than dropping the price due to cheaper CPU and increasing accessibility for people, they're just absorbing the extra profit. Great, that's the Cook Way. ߙ䦬t;/div>
    You aren’t buying a collection of parts, your buying functionality.

If you don’t think the value proposition works for you, don’t buy it.  Frankly I’m surprised they didn’t raise the price - this little thing called inflation means they are already grossing less just from that alone.  

If you want cheap crap there are plenty of other vendors to choose from out there.  Have at it.   I have no problem paying for a better experience.  I originally typed out paying more for a better experience, but comparing previous Air to this one you aren’t paying more for a machine that appears to be better in every way.

Yup - damn those greedy Apple bustards!
    Lol yeah these dudes crack me up, they’re used to lemonade stand economics and that’s about it. No real world experience in product, don’t grasp value propositions, likely have never run a business, etc etc.. Just IT nerds doin what they do best — bitchin’. 
    You're the one with no real world experience, if Macs are such great value why is it a Mac with almost identical specs to a Windows machine is so much more expensive? A Dell XPS is cheaper than a Mac, has the same specs and is cheaper. And surely if "running a business" is a way to know value proposition, every business would be full of Macs, but they aren't. Why do you think that is?
    What is this 2015?  This argument that you are using has been STATED year after year for over 20+ years, and after 2015, war's over dude.

As has been stated before like a million times (seriously).  The reason the price is HIGHER is because of the OS (+security), do you even read replies? (for the last 20 years?)

Man, gees.  And now it's COMPLETELY over, you now have INTEL PCs (x86_64+Windows) and M1 Macs (M1+macOS).
    Two different machines, two different lives and lifestyles.

Here is something YOU need to understand.  Mac people ARE for the most part HAPPY, while you are angry and upset...
    Take your LACK of cool PC products to buy somewhere else, to make yourself HAPPY, IF YOU CAN.

Unlike DONALD (wink wink), who doesn't know when to accept defeat, you seem to be in the same CAMP, Windows USER, or should I say Windows LOSER...  Accept defeat Windows users.

I mean serious, all you want to do is open a "Window" or go full screen, and allow a Video card to just rip thru a video game at 90fps.  That's your only return argument, year after year after year...

Handheld gaming = Apple/Nintendo, Console gaming = PS5/Xbox, and PC gaming, if you are not an eSports Pro why do you even care/try?

Laters...
    docno42mwhiteronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 83 of 130
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member

Rayz2016 said:
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:
    I notice the price is the same as before, so rather than dropping the price due to cheaper CPU and increasing accessibility for people, they're just absorbing the extra profit. Great, that's the Cook Way. ߙ䦬t;/div>
    Insanity. You’re conveniently overlooking years of R&D which you apparently believe falls off trees. Now they have to recoup that. A more capable machine at the same price despite inflation is an appealing value proposition. Out in the real world, where people will snap these up, nobody cares about IT dudes pretending to be CEOs whining about things they don’t understand. 
    My friend, Apple could release a poo emoji for $599 and you'd say it's the most amazing and unique product in the universe. 

But either way, nope. Most of the the R&D has already been done in the chips used in iPhones and iPads, did you forget the iPad Air is only $329? Do you somehow think the M1 is entirely unique? If it was, then yes absolutely the cost is justified. But it's not, it's a reconfigured A14. And as I said, I'm not so sure they will without Windows support as a fallback. I know several people who won't get one because it can no longer run Windows. Indeed the school I worked at has Macs at the moment because they can use Windows programs in Boot Camp, but without it they'll go back to PCs.
    And we wish them all well.

When they announced the switch, I wondered why they'd decided that now was the time. Then Cook mentioned that only 2% of Mac users actually use Bootcamp. So, yup; now's the time. Did you really think they'd pass up the chance to unify the entire product line on a common architecture, for 2% of the user base? 

Still, your old Macs won't stop working, and when you're ready, just move to a PC.

Don't really see the problem here.
    That says nothing about how many use Windows in Parallels, I don't doubt few use Boot Camp. But 75% of the people I know with Macs use Windows in Parallels. 

The "doesn't affect me so its not a problem for anyone" is pretty short sighted and selfish. The point you're missing when you say "just move to a PC" is yes, I may be in the minority in using Windows on my Mac, but there are so many other things that Apple keeps doing with their Macs that alienate some proportion of the user base that eventually each Mac user is going to be negatively impacted in some way. If every one of those impacted moved to a PC, there'd be very few Mac users left.  

Ultimately I hope that this spurns a switch to ARM on the Windows side too, so eventually Windows on ARM will work in Parallels, along with most programs.

edited November 2020
  • Reply 84 of 130

elijahg said:
    Which is more of a game breaker for someone who uses Windows on their Mac, a slightly better webcam, or lack of Windows support?.  And no, if it was super niche do you really think VMware would bother with Fusion? And Parallels? They keep existing despite Windows on Mac being "super niche".
    Niches can still be profitable.  After all you just declared windows "king" in business, therefore the Mac must be niche.  Yet you seem to own one.  

However niches are just that - they don't necessarily have to be the tail wagging the dog.  And Apple has decided that x86/Windows/Bootcamp isn't enough to stop them from transitioning.  Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose when changes are made.  
    rezwitsrandominternetpersonronnwatto_cobrajdb8167
  • Reply 85 of 130

elijahg said:
    docno42 said:
    elijahg said:

If you don’t think the value proposition works for you, don’t buy it.  Frankly I’m surprised they didn’t raise the price - this little thing called inflation means they are already grossing less just from that alone.  

If you want cheap crap there are plenty of other vendors to choose from out there.  Have at it.   I have no problem paying more for a better experience.
    Yes, all these added bells and whistles are nice, looking better on webcam etc, faster ML, but those things are super niche. Better battery is great, but having 10 hours vs 20 isn't essential. When's the last time you worried about how you look on webcam, or how fast ML is? It's actually less functionality for me at least, as it can't run Windows which I use for parts of my job - And so does Apple. Amusingly, the Mac Pros are running Modelsim, which is a logic analyser. And it's Windows only. I used Windows on my Mac regularly at uni, if I couldn't, I would have got a PC laptop. Same for several of my friends at uni.
    Seriously? I think it's time to take a hard look at your university. Most any university these days has platform agnostic web apps and integrations. If yours doesn't, I certainly hope they aren't offering any tech related classes, because they are stuck in the 2008-2010 era. get out ASAP and find a university that is a much better use of your (or your parents', or government taxpayers') hard earned dollars. In 2020, any university that has a learning system locked to a singular platform is a relic. 
    There is more to university than the university's own administration pages, you realise a browser can't represent every form of computing. You best go tell the engineering and science industry that they should rewrite everything currently Windows-based to run in a browser because Apple is switching to ARM. Good luck with that. Better go and tell Apple to stop using Modelsim on their Mac Pros too to design the Apple chips, and use a browser.
  • Reply 86 of 130

docno42 said:

elijahg said:
    Perhaps Apple will release a dual-CPU machine with an Intel CPU and an M1, so we don't have to live with emulation. Emulation is horribly slow without hardware support. Don't know if you ever tried to use Windows on a PPC Mac, but it was excruciatingly slow.
    Windows was a hot mess period in those days but yes, software emulation on PowerPC didn’t help back then either.

However this is no longer the 90’s/early 2000’s.  Apple has complete control over the instruction set in their chips so they could be working with parallels and if there are one or two areas that would dramatically help emulation they could do that.  

I guess another way to put it - just because it sucked a couple of decades ago I wouldn’t automatically assume it will suck just as bad now.  It may - but if Apple didn’t care about it they wouldn’t have had Parallels on stage during WWDC - anything presented on stage is a pretty deliberate decision since stage time is a finite quantity.  
    They could be, and hopefully they are. However emulating CISC on a RISC CPU is always sluggish, so hopefully Apple has some hardware in the M2(?) to help out.

That demo was an ARM build of Parallels running ARM OSs. It was not emulating anything.
  • Reply 87 of 130
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    docno42 said:
    MplsP said:
    Citrix on the iPad is not the same as Citrix on a desktop.
    It is on these Mac's since you can literally run the iPad app on them B)
    Yeah, I thought of that, but the functionality of the two is not the same so it would be a bit more than just 'port the iPad app to the new mac.' Still, I would expect it to show up reasonably quickly. it's also possible the old version will work under emulation. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 88 of 130
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    elijahg said:
    The T2 and Touch ID add $500 to the cost? The SSD in the Dell is roughly 700MBps, the Intel Macbook is 1500MBps. That's nice, but 700MBps is never going to be a bottleneck.
    Every so often, people like you come out of the cracks playing off like you know something others don't, and those in disagreement with you - and supported by actual data - you take the low-road and blame their beliefs on Apple fanaticism, when the truth is more obvious that you refuse to acknowledge, and that is "ignorance".

Apple is one of the top sellers of desktop/laptops.  You can't spin it any way to suit your agenda.  Even running Intel, they still outsell most other competitors, and Apple makes a nice profit that actually goes into making better machines.

Think the R&D that Apple spent for years creating the M1 tech for MacOS doesn't justify keeping the price the same?  Where have you been?  You don't seem to recall that many companies actually increase prices on products with new tech.  Now, people like you are complaining that Apple kept their prices the same?

I'm one of those people that just bought a 2020 Intel iMac because I need to run Windows.  I paid a handsome penny for this machine (10-core i9, 8TB SSD, 128GB RAM) yet I am excited to see what these new Macs are capable of.  Too pricey for you?  Don't buy it, or get a better job.  Many don't agree with you.  

The new MacBook Air may be the most fastest laptop in that form factor.  Show me an Intel-based laptop in that same form factor with the same speed AND no fan for the same price.  Guess what... you won't find one.  So here we are... listening to people like you complaining about pricing of Apple's new tech being the same.

The M1 (and future Apple Silicon) is the shot fired right across Intel's bow.  If the performance truly is what Apple claims it is, Intel is going to be eating a lot of humble pie and a lot of uphill climbing to catch up to where Apple is at.  

And yes... I - a windows user - am happy that Apple kept the price of all this new tech the same.  Could it be cheaper?  Perhaps, but I'm assuming that Apple - a business - is in business to make a profit and customers apparently don't mind.

Of course... you'll dismiss all this as my being an Apple Fanatic" because you can't make a valid counter-argument. 

Take a hike. 
    docno42rezwitsronnRayz2016watto_cobrajdb8167
  • Reply 89 of 130
    elijahg said:
    They could be, and hopefully they are. However emulating CISC on a RISC CPU is always sluggish, so hopefully Apple has some hardware in the M2(?) to help out.

That demo was an ARM build of Parallels running ARM OSs. It was not emulating anything.
    It was always in the past because the CPUs doing the emulation were least common denominator general purpose CPUs.  Apple Silicon is not an LCD bin part, it's custom.  Including the instructions contained within.

And yes, they only demo'd ARM - but they have documented on their web site that they will have x86 emulation too.  Which should not be surprising; they did it before. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 90 of 130
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Disappointed by the no design refresh. iPad Pro style thin bezel screens and Face ID should have been included in the new MacBooks. Every other PC manufacturer is now making top line notebooks with modern edge to edge screen designs and Apple is still shipping a machine that looks almost identical to what they first released in 2015. Face ID is the most baffling thing of all. The Mac is the best suited platform to unlock the power of Face ID and it’s the only platform where it’s not available. 

Yeah, that's a tricky one. The thing is that Apple is selling transition: they do not want existing sales to dry up; they do not want folk to start waiting three years until the whole line has moved across. Keeping the case the same is a psychological trick for the vast majority of Apple's customers who are concerned with platform stability more than anything else. They're going to tread slowly and cautiously. This is the biggest change to the Mac since the Intel switch. See what the reaction is to the new machines, and feed that into the design of the next generation. 

I'd like to see new cases, but I understand why they might wait for that.

I wasn't expecting FaceID because there are an awful lot of folk who plug their laptops into monitors. I do that and even using TouchID is a a bit of a pain; FaceID would be worse. The other thing about FaceID is that it can be a bit fussy about angles. 
    I don't think is related to users connecting notebooks to external monitors, considering many Windows laptops include Windows Hello.  
  • Reply 91 of 130
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    docno42 said:
    MplsP said:
    Citrix on the iPad is not the same as Citrix on a desktop.
    It is on these Mac's since you can literally run the iPad app on them B)

My question is how do you install and iPad app on these new Mac's?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 92 of 130
    mwhite said:

The same way you do on an iPad - the app store. 

Whether they mix everything into the Mac App store or introduce an iOS app store alongside the Mac App Store that remains to be seen.

I suspect the Mac app store will expand.  Hopefully they will handle it better than the UI unification with the Music App and Apple Music vs. your personal library :p
    mwhitewatto_cobra
  • Reply 93 of 130
    macfox said:
    Do folks here have any update on Apple's trade-in program policy? Looking to trade in my 2020 MBP but learned today that the device has to be at least 1 year old. Somewhat frustrating as I'm sure many customers will want to transition to the M1 platform. Is Apple likely to change this policy and offer a trade in for recent hardware (4 months old). Any other recommendations on how to get a good price for the pretty new device? 

They took my 2020 Air in trade.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 94 of 130
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    elijahg said:

Rayz2016 said:
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:
    Insanity. You’re conveniently overlooking years of R&D which you apparently believe falls off trees. Now they have to recoup that. A more capable machine at the same price despite inflation is an appealing value proposition. Out in the real world, where people will snap these up, nobody cares about IT dudes pretending to be CEOs whining about things they don’t understand. 
    My friend, Apple could release a poo emoji for $599 and you'd say it's the most amazing and unique product in the universe. 

But either way, nope. Most of the the R&D has already been done in the chips used in iPhones and iPads, did you forget the iPad Air is only $329? Do you somehow think the M1 is entirely unique? If it was, then yes absolutely the cost is justified. But it's not, it's a reconfigured A14. And as I said, I'm not so sure they will without Windows support as a fallback. I know several people who won't get one because it can no longer run Windows. Indeed the school I worked at has Macs at the moment because they can use Windows programs in Boot Camp, but without it they'll go back to PCs.
    And we wish them all well.

When they announced the switch, I wondered why they'd decided that now was the time. Then Cook mentioned that only 2% of Mac users actually use Bootcamp. So, yup; now's the time. Did you really think they'd pass up the chance to unify the entire product line on a common architecture, for 2% of the user base? 

Still, your old Macs won't stop working, and when you're ready, just move to a PC.

Don't really see the problem here.
    That says nothing about how many use Windows in Parallels, I don't doubt few use Boot Camp. But 75% of the people I know with Macs use Windows in Parallels. 

The "doesn't affect me so its not a problem for anyone" is pretty short sighted and selfish. The point you're missing when you say "just move to a PC" is yes, I may be in the minority in using Windows on my Mac, but there are so many other things that Apple keeps doing with their Macs that alienate some proportion of the user base that eventually each Mac user is going to be negatively impacted in some way. If every one of those impacted moved to a PC, there'd be very few Mac users left.  

Ultimately I hope that this spurns a switch to ARM on the Windows side too, so eventually Windows on ARM will work in Parallels, along with most programs.

I think most folk install Windows on Bootcamp and the use Parallels to build one or more virtual machines with the BootCamp partition. So there are still not enough Windows VM users for Apple to tie themselves to Intel any longer than they have to. 

The "doesn't affect me so its not a problem for anyone" is pretty short sighted and selfish.
    Though not as short-sighted and selfish as holding back the platform for millions because you were too lazy to find Mac alternatives or move to Windows. Fact is that Apple always loses a boatload of users when make one if these transitions, and the fact is the Mac user base carries on growing. 

And no one said it isn’t a problem. We just said it wasn’t an insurmountable problem. The only person making it impossible to fix is you. 

ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 95 of 130

docno42 said:
    mwhite said:

The same way you do on an iPad - the app store. 

Whether they mix everything into the Mac App store or introduce an iOS app store alongside the Mac App Store that remains to be seen.

I suspect the Mac app store will expand.  Hopefully they will handle it better than the UI unification with the Music App and Apple Music vs. your personal library :p
    Apparently, the iPad version gets replaced when a Mac native appears on the App Store. 
    docno42rezwitswatto_cobra
  • Reply 96 of 130

danvm said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Disappointed by the no design refresh. iPad Pro style thin bezel screens and Face ID should have been included in the new MacBooks. Every other PC manufacturer is now making top line notebooks with modern edge to edge screen designs and Apple is still shipping a machine that looks almost identical to what they first released in 2015. Face ID is the most baffling thing of all. The Mac is the best suited platform to unlock the power of Face ID and it’s the only platform where it’s not available. 

Yeah, that's a tricky one. The thing is that Apple is selling transition: they do not want existing sales to dry up; they do not want folk to start waiting three years until the whole line has moved across. Keeping the case the same is a psychological trick for the vast majority of Apple's customers who are concerned with platform stability more than anything else. They're going to tread slowly and cautiously. This is the biggest change to the Mac since the Intel switch. See what the reaction is to the new machines, and feed that into the design of the next generation. 

I'd like to see new cases, but I understand why they might wait for that.

I wasn't expecting FaceID because there are an awful lot of folk who plug their laptops into monitors. I do that and even using TouchID is a a bit of a pain; FaceID would be worse. The other thing about FaceID is that it can be a bit fussy about angles. 
    I don't think is related to users connecting notebooks to external monitors, considering many Windows laptops include Windows Hello.  
    That’s why I thought that was the problem; I’ve yet to see any of my Windows colleagues use it, and that’s why apparently. 

For me, the easiest  way to unlock a Mac is the Apple Watch. Stroll up, start working. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 97 of 130

sflocal said:
    elijahg said:
    The T2 and Touch ID add $500 to the cost? The SSD in the Dell is roughly 700MBps, the Intel Macbook is 1500MBps. That's nice, but 700MBps is never going to be a bottleneck.
    Every so often, people like you come out of the cracks playing off like you know something others don't, and those in disagreement with you - and supported by actual data - you take the low-road and blame their beliefs on Apple fanaticism, when the truth is more obvious that you refuse to acknowledge, and that is "ignorance".

Apple is one of the top sellers of desktop/laptops.  You can't spin it any way to suit your agenda.  Even running Intel, they still outsell most other competitors, and Apple makes a nice profit that actually goes into making better machines.

Think the R&D that Apple spent for years creating the M1 tech for MacOS doesn't justify keeping the price the same?  Where have you been?  You don't seem to recall that many companies actually increase prices on products with new tech.  Now, people like you are complaining that Apple kept their prices the same?

I'm one of those people that just bought a 2020 Intel iMac because I need to run Windows.  I paid a handsome penny for this machine (10-core i9, 8TB SSD, 128GB RAM) yet I am excited to see what these new Macs are capable of.  Too pricey for you?  Don't buy it, or get a better job.  Many don't agree with you.  

The new MacBook Air may be the most fastest laptop in that form factor.  Show me an Intel-based laptop in that same form factor with the same speed AND no fan for the same price.  Guess what... you won't find one.  So here we are... listening to people like you complaining about pricing of Apple's new tech being the same.

The M1 (and future Apple Silicon) is the shot fired right across Intel's bow.  If the performance truly is what Apple claims it is, Intel is going to be eating a lot of humble pie and a lot of uphill climbing to catch up to where Apple is at.  

And yes... I - a windows user - am happy that Apple kept the price of all this new tech the same.  Could it be cheaper?  Perhaps, but I'm assuming that Apple - a business - is in business to make a profit and customers apparently don't mind.

Of course... you'll dismiss all this as my being an Apple Fanatic" because you can't make a valid counter-argument. 

Take a hike. 
    I think over the coming months we’re going to be hearing a lot from “I can’t run Lotus Ami Pro for Windows anymore” brigade. 

This transition hasn’t been a secret. Everyone knew it was just a matter of time. 
    ronnwatto_cobrarandominternetperson
  • Reply 98 of 130
    Japhey said:

docno42 said:
    elijahg said:

If you want cheap crap there are plenty of other vendors to choose from out there.  Have at it.   I have no problem paying for a better experience.  I originally typed out paying more for a better experience, but comparing previous Air to this one you aren’t paying more for a machine that appears to be better in every way.

Yup - damn those greedy Apple bustards!
    Lol yeah these dudes crack me up, they’re used to lemonade stand economics and that’s about it. No real world experience in product, don’t grasp value propositions, likely have never run a business, etc etc.. Just IT nerds doin what they do best — bitchin’. 
    What’s with you and the IT bashing today? Somebody make Mr. Disposable Income angry at work this week?
    As an IT guy myself, just seen it too many times. All the signs are there. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 99 of 130

elijahg said:
    elijahg said:

Your position is truly preposterous, and born of ignorance. I know it seems so simple to you and that the iphone surely poops out desktop-class chips, but no, that isn’t how it works. 
    dewmeronnwatto_cobrajdb8167
  • Reply 100 of 130
    I had a strong feeling they would drop the new chips into existing cases. The iterative nature of new silicon design and new hardware design makes for a lot of moving parts in the development stages. This way the silicon designers have a set chassis and a set thermal envelope as their foundation.  I believe they will introduce new designs next round. And I also think that’s when they’ll bump the camera too. 

As for the 16 Gig RAM limit, keep in mind they have tighter integration now. IOS devices can run laps around Android devices with twice the RAM. I think the same would apply here. 
    ronnrezwitswatto_cobra