Apple TV app now on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
Ahead of the launch of Sony's PlayStation 5, the PlayStation Network has added the Apple TV app to its store, bringing Apple TV+ to both consoles.

Apple TV+ has arrived on Playstation consoles
Apple TV+ has arrived on Playstation consoles

As previously reported to be planned, Sony has added the Apple TV app to its PlayStation Network in the PlayStation Store. It appears to be rolling out steadily and so is not yet available in all territories, but it's been added in advance of the launch of the PlayStation 5.

It means that PlayStation 4 or 5 owners will have all of the regular Apple TV+ content available to them directly in the console. That includes Apple TV Channels, and also any media bought via the iTunes Store.

Sony earlier confirmed the addition was coming after Xbox beta testers discovered the app on the Xbox App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Would Sony be able to "see" what you are watching in the Apple TV app and send that info back to Sony HQ?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Would Sony be able to "see" what you are watching in the Apple TV app and send that info back to Sony HQ?
    That’s a good question but I don’t think so. Kinda the same way these companies can’t track what you watch via Netflix app. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Cool.  I'll probably get rid of my Apple TV box now then; no need for it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    crowley said:
    I was just going to say I don’t want to fire up the noisy beast that is my PlayStation over the AppleTV that I have.  :D
    JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    crowley said:

Depends. Will the App allow Airplay 2?

Sometimes it is nice to mirror your iOS devices to the screen.

JWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Embarrassing.

The console for Apple users should have been an Apple TV.

Applelogists are saying Apple revealing an Apple TV with M1 chip would have been unreasonable as if Apple was a less capable company than Sony/MS/
    razorpit