Apple releases macOS Big Sur with redesign, Safari updates and more

Comments

• Reply 61 of 124
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    A trillion dollar company, with amazing infrastructure globally, can't distribute their merely 12GB software. Amazing.

Crashed multiple times on every machine, now it won't even start downloading, and getting an installation failed error message. 

edited November 2020 spice-boywatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 124
    I am also getting the "Can't install update" (for reasons) message.  Glad it's not just me. I hope this is a waiting for Apple to get its act together issue and not an oh crap, have to reinstall the OS issue.
    spice-boywatto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 124
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Apple has acknowledged that there is an issue on their support page, iMessage is also having issues.
    elijahgspice-boy
  • Reply 64 of 124
    aegean said:
    A trillion dollar company, with amazing infrastructure globally, can't distribute their merely 12GB software. Amazing.

Crashed multiple times on every machine, now it won't even start downloading. 
    Lol are you serious. 12GB is very large, for million of people to hit at once. Ain't happening. But it's alright, you'll live, son.
    rezwitschiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 124
    For those who can download it ...congrats!

I think their issues are exacerbated by their Software Update software, which seems to operate on weak web-based services that are extremely susceptible to failing.  It works well in ideal conditions such as what they might get in their Apple corporate facilities, but in the real world things don't always go so well.

Any kind of interrupt kills the download and usually necessitates restarting it from the beginning, which exacerbates the demand that could have caused the problem in the first place!  It'is bad in the case of local network difficulties but also in the case of problems delivering the files on their end, as might occur during periods of extreme pressure such as new software updates.

I managed to download the software, but it appears that the post-download verification check failed and it deleted the whole thing!  There has got to be a better way of doing this.  FTP or torrent-based systems are much more attune to these kind of issues.  It should never delete partially downloaded software, yet that is common across both Mac and iOS.  I've wasted so much mobile data in the past (back when I relied on it) because of issues with Apple's Software Update.
    edited November 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 124
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    OMG, WTF?! It looks like the problem started at 1 PM, I'm assuming PST?

edited November 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 124
    JinTech said:
    spice-boy said:
    This disastrous Big Sur download makes me yearn for days of CD installs. 
    What's a CD? Just kidding! Remember the days where a Mac OS 8 was on like 27 something floppies?  :D
    Well, *I'm* old enough to remember when people waited for Service Pack 1 before upgrading to a major OS release...   :D

I'm in the same boat as everyone else here by clicking that "Upgrade Now" button a... few times and still getting the same results. But if you think about it, this is actually a testament to Apple's improved QA that everyone seems to trust enough to install it on day 1 (or really, hour 1)
    s.metcalfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 124
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    s.metcalf said:
    For those who can download it ...congrats!

I think their issues are exacerbated by their Software Update which seems to operate on weak web-based services that are extremely susceptible to failing.  It works well in ideal conditions such as what they might get in their Apple corporate facilities, but in the real world things don't always go so well.

Any kind of interrupt kills the download and usually requires restarting it from the beginning.  This is bad in the case of local network difficulties but also in the case of problems delivering the files on their end, as might occur during periods of extreme pressure such as new software updates.

I managed to download the software, but it appears the post-download verification check failed and it deleted the whole thing.  There has got to be a better way of doing this.  FTP or torrent based systems are much more attune to these kind of issues.  It should never delete partially downloaded software, yet that is common across both Mac and iOS.  I've wasted so much mobile data in the past (back when I relied on it) because of issues Apple's Software Update.
    Microsoft use some form of distributed downloading for Windows updates, seems to make now that people have faster upload speeds. It also has the advantage of verifying each 20MB or so chunk so redownloads are 20MB rather than the entire update.
    s.metcalfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 124
    "Major new features in macOS Big Sur"

Many of us have discovered one of them: It's unavailable.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 124
    its now crapped out about a dozen time, most i got was about 8 or 9 gb before it did.

Now it fails immediately i try again.
    Same here. The frustrating part is that this was experienced and reported with RC2...but Apple decided to release it anyway. WTH.
    s.metcalf
  • Reply 71 of 124
    tzx4tzx4 Posts: 21member
    On the bright side, my 2011 MBA just successfully completed the security update that was just issued .
    More often than not the past year, it has failed during a security update, and required re-installing the entire operating system.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 124
    They are now reporting Apple Pay and Apple Card Outages as well. Oh, Apple!
    s.metcalf
  • Reply 73 of 124
    Everyone cancel your downloads so mine will go faster!
    s.metcalfspice-boychiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 124
    downloaded about 4 gig before fail.

s.metcalfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 124
    For what it's worth, trying the download in Safe Mode is no different. 

I know that's not particularly helpful, but it might save some people the bother of trying it.
    s.metcalfspice-boywatto_cobra
  • Reply 76 of 124
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    So far Bid Sur is not a disaster but the delivery is. Now I'm wondering if I can trust this latest MacOS...
    s.metcalf
  • Reply 77 of 124
    elijahg said:
    Microsoft use some form of distributed downloading for Windows updates, seems to make now that people have faster upload speeds. It also has the advantage of verifying each 20MB or so chunk so redownloads are 20MB rather than the entire update.
    That would be perfect.  Apple needs to do this.
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 124
    jcc said:
    Doesn't seem like the best day to be working in IT/Infrastructure at Apple...
    s.metcalf
  • Reply 79 of 124
    jcc said:
    Doesn't seem like the best day to be working in IT/Infrastructure at Apple...
    They're not working on anything of the kind. This is just straight-up infrastructure failure under load. They should probably hire better dev-ops people.
    s.metcalf
  • Reply 80 of 124
    I can't speak about non-availability, but it is a completely useless update for the next 6-9 months with all my music equipment and software plugins. The same thing happened with Catalina. It never ceases to amaze how badly the past two major system updates have been so piss poor with coordinating efforts with professional software music companies.

s.metcalfanantksundaram