Apple releases macOS Big Sur with redesign, Safari updates and more

Comments

• Reply 81 of 124
    Yeah I think they removed the download now. I keep getting a error. I was so close too. Had 6GB out of 12

• Reply 82 of 124
    This problem may go beyond the Big Sur non-load. Messages, Apple Pay, services have tanked as well. Is this a foreign attack, has a meteor come too close to Cupertino, or is Q behind this, LOL
    edited November 2020 sidricthevikings.metcalfanantksundaram
  • Reply 83 of 124
    System Status Page says the issue has been resolved.   Still no go for me with error message.
  • Reply 84 of 124
    i still cant download, is everyone else having same issue?

johnwhite1001s.metcalfflyingdp
  • Reply 85 of 124
    It's not fixed yet despite Apple's claims. ok wasted too much time on Big Sur, will try again tomorrow. 
  • Reply 86 of 124
    Finshed downloading and it won't install.  "An error occurred installing this update".  I cannot find a way
    to delete the downloaded update files.  SIP prevents access to the needed folders.

s.metcalf
  • Reply 87 of 124
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    aegean said:
    A trillion dollar company, with amazing infrastructure globally, can't distribute their merely 12GB software. Amazing.

Crashed multiple times on every machine, now it won't even start downloading, and getting an installation failed error message. 

So wait till tomorrow.  What's the rush?  Read a book... go outside.  Why must you do it today, along with a gazillion other people?
    StrangeDaysjdb8167watto_cobra
  • Reply 88 of 124
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    This is one massive slug of software. Must be due to the universal binary change. I've never in my life tried to downloaded such a massive update/upgrade. I can't even get past the initial update button click before it barfs all over itself and throws up an unrecoverable error. I've been installing all the the Big Sur betas on a different machine so I know what to expect, but the betas were never of such gargantuan proportions. Does it have a couple or few copies of the library of congress in there for nighttime reading?

Time to tamp down the impulses to update to this immediately and chill out for couple of days or so. Realistically, there is probably nothing in this upgrade that is keeping anyone from getting their job done or enjoying the full benefit of their Mac. Yeah, it's a shiny new toy, we're all stuck in doors rebreathing our own bodily emissions, suffering from post election stress, trying to figure out how we're going to to pony up the cash for a new M1 Mac, and we just need something, anything, new to play with. A whole world of new emojis awaits us, along with seeing an "11" in the "About This Mac" dialog for the very first time, but getting yourself and your Mac stuck in a state of pre-installation stress disorder (PISD - which is pronounced "pissed")  isn't going to do any good for anyone. Breathe ... think happy thoughts ... breathe ... close the Software Update dialog ... breathe. It'll still be there in a couple of days.  :|
    edited November 2020 bolskevitebikerdudeStrangeDayscornchipspice-boyflyingdpmuthuk_vanalingamchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 89 of 124
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Seems a bit weird that 6 hours later it's still broken and yet it's still on the App Store, and the status page says previous issues are fixed. Is this the return of MobileMe?
    right_said_freds.metcalfanantksundaram
  • Reply 90 of 124
    I can't speak about non-availability, but it is a completely useless update for the next 6-9 months with all my music equipment and software plugins. The same thing happened with Catalina. It never ceases to amaze how badly the past two major system updates have been so piss poor with coordinating efforts with professional software music companies.
    These companies didn't hear about all the betas? You can lead a horse to water... Anyway I'm glad they didn't hold up the release waiting for unmotivated music companies to get with it.
    MacQuadra840avDancingMonkeysRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 91 of 124
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    I can't speak about non-availability, but it is a completely useless update for the next 6-9 months with all my music equipment and software plugins. The same thing happened with Catalina. It never ceases to amaze how badly the past two major system updates have been so piss poor with coordinating efforts with professional software music companies.
    These companies didn't hear about all the betas? You can lead a horse to water... Anyway I'm glad they didn't hold up the release waiting for unmotivated music companies to get with it.
    If you are using your computer for critical work-related activities you’re probably better waiting anyway. Big Sur is a major update with a lot of new functionality. Even with all the betas I expect a fair number of bugs as it moves into widespread use.
    elijahganantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 92 of 124
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Im getting a install failed, repeatedly and after several reboots. 

I'll wait. Maybe until after my M1Air arrives at the end of Nov. 
    s.metcalframanpfaff
  • Reply 93 of 124
    Downloading for me now.  15 minutes to go.  I'll edit if it actually starts installing.

Edit:  About to install.  Wish me luck.  Seems ok in Australia now.
    edited November 2020 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 94 of 124
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    I totally agree with StrangeDays. Read the kudos from Serif, the developers of the Affinity suite of applications. The full disclosure of what was coming with Big Sur at WWDC, availability of beta builds shortly thereafter, and Apple providing Apple Silicon development machines in the same time frame allowed Serif to release Big Sur and M1 optimized versions of their apps on day one of Big Sur's public release. That is absolutely the gold standard for a how a platform owner best serves its third party developer partners. Yeah, some developers simply don't have the same resources as others and can't run with the big dogs, but Apple absolutely delivered, and rather spectacularly, this time around. This isn't a knock on anyone, but Apple has to live up to the expectations of its fastest partners, not its slowest ones.
    cornchipflyingdpDancingMonkeyschiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 95 of 124

Perhaps you should blame the developer of whatever programs you use for not updating their programs to be up to date and compatible with a new system release.  It is not Apple's fault the developer does not keep up to date when they should have been prepping their software since June.  It is not Apple's job to force developers to update their programs.
    macseekerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 96 of 124

MplsP said:
    If you are using your computer for critical work-related activities you’re probably better waiting anyway. Big Sur is a major update with a lot of new functionality. Even with all the betas I expect a fair number of bugs as it moves into widespread use.
    Share Photos with AppleTV in the Sharing panel still does not work in RC2, and RC2 is the official public release.
  • Reply 97 of 124
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Perhaps you should blame the developer of whatever programs you use for not updating their programs to be up to date and compatible with a new system release.  It is not Apple's fault the developer does not keep up to date when they should have been prepping their software since June.  It is not Apple's job to force developers to update their programs.
    No one said it was.
    cornchipelijahganantksundaram
  • Reply 98 of 124
    Been trying for the past 6 hours. Just starting downloading now, in Canada.
    It says 40m total download time.

Previously I was getting the error message just like everyone else.
    edited November 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 99 of 124
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    saarek said:

My daughters 2010 MacBook Pro works great with Catelina, no reason to think you would have any issue with Big Sur on your iMac.

awww yea! Hopefully he does one for the 0912MPs!
    edited November 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 100 of 124
    One segment of the download was being disallowed causing the entire download to fail.

Seems to be working now.
    watto_cobra