Disney+ hits 73.7M subscribers in less than one year

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
Exactly a year after it launched, Disney+ on Thursday reported that its Disney+ streaming service accumulated more than 73 million subscribers as of Oct. 3, 2020, far surpassing initial targets.

Credit: Disney
Credit: Disney

According to Disney's fourth quarter earnings results, the subscription service gained 73.7 million subscribers since it launched in November 2019. The media giant initially projected Disney+ to reach between 60 million to 90 million global subscribers by the end of fiscal 2024.

"The real bright spot has been our direct-to-consumer business, which is key to the future of our company, and on this anniversary of the launch of Disney+ we're pleased to report that, as of the end of the fourth quarter, the service had more than 73 million paid subscribers - far surpassing our expectations in just its first year," said Disney CEO Bob Chapek.

The company last reported subscriber counts in August, when it said Disney+ had 57.5 million subscribers. Based on that number, it appears that Disney+ added 16 million subscribers in the last three-month quarter.

In addition, Disney reported that its total number of Hulu subscribers reached 36.6 million in October 2020, up from 28.5 million in September 2019.

Apple, for its part, has not released subscriber numbers for its Apple TV+ streaming service, though reports indicate that the platform has seen a lackluster start.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    The Mandalorian might have had something to do with that.
    dewmeCloudTalkinMplsP
  • Reply 2 of 12
    It should be noted that Verizon gave a years subscription to D+ when announced, and that years ended as of yesterday. I’ll bet D+ loses a bunch of subscribers in November, myself included. A good reason for bragging about how great it was doing in October, I guess...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    alphaman said:
    It should be noted that Verizon gave a years subscription to D+ when announced, and that years ended as of yesterday. I’ll bet D+ loses a bunch of subscribers in November, myself included. A good reason for bragging about how great it was doing in October, I guess...
    Yeah I bet a ton of people leave in November with The Mandalorian season 2 barely half over...🙄. 
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Disney is really made for a steaming service. Kids will watch and rewatch the films and series (providing value) and it's always available (they can be smarter about releasing new stuff constantly as their library carries so much weight). I expect them to have the largest subscriber base once it's rolled out. 
    jahblade
  • Reply 5 of 12
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I’d like to see the rest of the Marvel films and Star Wars stuff I’ve missed since Disney+ caused this stuff to be in theaters & Disney+ only... and since I don’t go to theatres much in the first place (even before covid), well...

But I am NOT subscribing to more shit!

Is this stuff being released on Blu-ray? I finally have a digital TV, so maybe a Blu-ray player is a good next step.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Mandalorian was the real reason I subscribed to it, but there’s enough variety of programming to keep things interesting. Apple should still acquire the libraries of as many studios as they can to get a leg up on the substantial (and growing) competition for movie and TV show content.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I got the 1-yr trial from Verizon a few months ago, so I still have a few months left. I think I might keep it.  The classic Disney cartoons and National Geographic are good and of course the Mandalorian. I recently watched the 8-part Mandalorian documentary on Disney Gallery, and I highly recommend it. The behind the scenes stuff, especially regarding the tech and process were really interesting. It was almost better than the show itself!

PS: There is a discount for paying for a year up front too, so that helps.
    Ofer
  • Reply 8 of 12
    dysamoria said:
    I’d like to see the rest of the Marvel films and Star Wars stuff I’ve missed since Disney+ caused this stuff to be in theaters & Disney+ only... and since I don’t go to theatres much in the first place (even before covid), well...

Is this stuff being released on Blu-ray? I finally have a digital TV, so maybe a Blu-ray player is a good next step.
    I have not heard if/when Mandalorian or other stuff gets released on Blu-ray, but unless you can borrow Blu-rays from your local library for free (and are happy with their selection), one or maybe two Blu-ray rentals per month is pretty much the price of a subscription.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    dysamoria said:

Why not buy on iTunes?

Also buy movie codes and get them cheaper.
    philboogie
  • Reply 10 of 12
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,684member
    I'm in the process of switching from ADSL to fibre and a lot of the all in one plans of Spanish giant Movistar (Telefonica) include Disney+.

I'll get it in my subscription but after the 3 month promotional pricing of the plan I'll be switching to a more basic plan without TV. 
    philboogie
  • Reply 11 of 12
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    I have the subscription. Mostly for my daughter. As for me, as much as I want it to be a good service, I cannot find anything really worth watching.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,338member
    imat said:
    I have the subscription. Mostly for my daughter. As for me, as much as I want it to be a good service, I cannot find anything really worth watching.
    I'd recommend the Mandalorian, which has pulled the Star Wars Universe from the abyss. 

I'm also watching the Right Stuff (series, first season focussing on Project Mercury), but it's probably not of interest to anyone who wasn't there for the Apollo Missions. since Mercury, and Gemini, were the programs that preceded that.

edited November 2020