Post your 970 Tower mock ups

Comments

• Reply 101 of 215
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Woops, sorry! Not reading carefully enough.......

At any rate, the stuff would still be way to heavy.

I don't know if you're joking or not, but Fluorinert wasn't really brought up for serious consideration. A) You need a Fluorinert bath for it to dissipate heat effectively, or you need some kind of secondary cooling. The set-up also needs to be sealed since the stuff evaporates rather quickly.

Heft is a non-issue as a result.
  • Reply 102 of 215
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jouster

I think both of the above are nasty, especially the big transparent 'X'.

They are not at all Ive-Like

I think nasty is a bit harsh. I don' think Apple is going to release boxes that are as "in your face" as those two, but they have potential. The al one would look nicer if it were not as chrome and was a bit more rounded in the edges. The X would look nicer with more of a silvery look and with the X a little toned down. They are nice concepts though.

But hey, maybe Ive will take us completely by suprise like he did with the "new" iMac.
  • Reply 103 of 215
    th0rth0r Posts: 78member
    Anyone remember these?

• Reply 104 of 215
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Th0r

[B]Anyone remember these?

I DO! That micraphone that was supposed to be real. Wasn't that an April fools joke?

{EDIT} Removed picture so pages would load faster.
  • Reply 105 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I DO! That micraphone that was supposed to be real. Wasn't that an April fools joke?

I think it was a custom built overclocked water cooled PowerMac from a company in Finland. Apple killed the project though
  • Reply 106 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

I think it was a custom built overclocked water cooled PowerMac from a company in Finland. Apple killed the project though

Yeah! Right. Like anyone is going to believe that. But I guess you did.? That's a Photoshop mochup of an old Sure Micraphone. That thing never existed.
  • Reply 107 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Yeah! Right. Like anyone is going to believe that. But I guess you did.? That's a Photoshop mochup of an old Sure Micraphone. That thing never existed.

Ok. I may be wrong about that picture, but wasn't it some company a couple o' years ago that had taken the PowerMacs and rebuilt them with som sort of "cool"-ing tech?

Think it was introduced at some event in Helsinki Finland on the first of April 2001
  • Reply 108 of 215
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    For those curious, the Shure microphone is here. They still offer it for sale.
  • Reply 109 of 215
    Yeah, they were called Xtrem. Their website used to be www.xtrem.com. At some point they were actually shipping a $30 jumper block for overclocking. I don't know if the Xtrem mac was a hoax or an overly ambitious plan or if Apple killed it but it certainly never saw the light of day.
  • Reply 110 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by griel_del_noche

Yeah, they were called Xtrem. Their website used to be www.xtrem.com. At some point they were actually shipping a $30 jumper block for overclocking. I don't know if the Xtrem mac was a hoax or an overly ambitious plan or if Apple killed it but it certainly never saw the light of day.

Thanks man!
  • Reply 111 of 215
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Th0r

Anyone remember these?

I can just see someone pulling up in their Chrysler Limited Edition and unloading one of those.
  • Reply 112 of 215
    Skip, those picture links arent' loading...
  • Reply 113 of 215
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I don't know if you're joking or not, but Fluorinert wasn't really brought up for serious consideration. A) You need a Fluorinert bath for it to dissipate heat effectively, or you need some kind of secondary cooling. The set-up also needs to be sealed since the stuff evaporates rather quickly.

Heft is a non-issue as a result.

No, I wasn't being serious, just pointing to an obvious problem. I should just leave "wild speculation land" alone........
  • Reply 114 of 215
    Nevertheless I am still convinced it was a big load of ____.
  • Reply 115 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Take a hard drive, insert the cables and set the jumpers. Then go out and buy a bucket of Polyester. Put some duct tape over the seals and bolt holes. Then just dip the drive into the polyester and let it dry. Repeat this a few times. You'll soon have yourself a watertight disk.

Umm, last i checked polyester was a synthetic fabric, perhaps you meant Polyurethane?
  • Reply 116 of 215
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

Umm, last i checked polyester was a synthetic fabric, perhaps you meant Polyurethane?

Polyurethan is often a part of a polyester. The name polyester is used on many different polymers where monomers are connected with an ester.

Polyester is used reinforced with glass fibres i plastic boats f.x. There are also many other uses for polyesters including textiles fx fleece jackets.
  • Reply 117 of 215
    whoops, guess thats why i never did well in chemestry
  • Reply 118 of 215
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Those xtrem machines were nice... it was during 2000 or 2001, right? The fastest chip at that time was still <500Mhz G4. Their CRT display looked mediocre anyway.

imagewww.rightonmac.com/images/xtrem_monitor.jpg" border="0" alt="" />
  • Reply 119 of 215
    For a thread supposed to be about Mock-Ups, it sure is lacking in Mock-Ups.

w
  • Reply 120 of 215
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    Of all the mockups I've seen, and especially the ones posted in this thread, considering the XtremMac as a mockup, I think the XtremMac is the best-looking, most realistic, and most Apple-like. Sure, a bit retro, but retro-futuristic, stylish, and surely unique. It could be done in a light aluminum, yet still appear to be heavy and massive while not taking up any more space (perhaps less) than the current PowerMac.