Leaker teases holiday Apple 'surprise' is on the way

Posted:
in General Discussion
A serial Apple leaker has warned Apple has a "Christmas surprise" on the way, but it is unclear if the puzzling tease relates to a physical product, a sale or promotion, or something else.

Apple's 2019 holiday ad campaign
Apple's 2019 holiday ad campaign "The Surprise"

Posted to Twitter on Saturday, leaker "@L0vetodream" told followers "You'll get a Christmas surprise from Apple." The tweet didn't state what it was, but offered clues by claiming it is "Winter exclusive" and "good for winter."

While the leaker often provides accurate leaks for unreleased Apple products, they are typically easier to understand and work out than in the latest cryptic tweet. A follow-up post highlighted that they didn't mention what the "Christmas gift" was nor the date of its release, and that it was "a game, a riddle game" for their followers.

You'll get a Christmas surprise from ApplePSWinter exclusivegood for winter

Considering it would be unwise for Apple to launch hardware products over the holiday shopping period, and that it has just completed three months of product launch events, it seems extremely unlikely for something like "AirTags" or "AirPods Studio" to launch and go on sale during that time.

Since that basically rules out the majority of physical items, that leaves Apple with providing something software or data-based to consumers.

This would present a big opportunity for Apple to promote its Services business to consumers, by offering something from it for free. Possible candidates include special content on Apple TV+ that's free to view, or free content from the App Store, both of which could easily cover the "Winter exclusive" hint.

There's also an outside chance Apple could relaunch its "12 Days of Gifts" promotion, an annual tradition that ceased in 2014.

Lastly, the mention of a "Christmas surprise" could be a reference to Apple's 2019 holiday ad campaign, one called "The Surprise."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Maybe they’ll do a mea culpa and make all Peanuts cartoons free to watch in perpetuity.
    mobirdpulseimagesjcs2305bikerdude
  • Reply 2 of 21
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Maybe they’ll offer Apple TV+ free for a year.
    williamlondonnarwhal
  • Reply 3 of 21
    bluefire1 said:
    Maybe they’ll offer Apple TV+ free for a year.
    They just did this, I took advantage of it. 
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    This leaker replies on YouTube. He replied to me when I questioned him.

its probably one of those “12 days of Christmas” things.

i wish it was an M1 Apple TV. 
    ronnScot1ackpfft
  • Reply 5 of 21
    lkrupp said:
    forrie said:
    Apple has lost control of their PR.  These events have been more fluff than stuff; longer than necessary.  The repeated bug fix releases, etc., this makes me now consider products like M1 to functionally be public betas.   And considering the privacy scandal with Big Sur, their participation in the US gov't's PRSM program, etc. -- all while touting their concerns about privacy.... their "surprise" might be novocaine and a plunger, for the 12 days of Xmas at this point.   Really disappointed in where Apple has been going.
    Just crawl back under the troll bridge where you belong.
    You mean stuff like this? https://sneak.berlin/20201112/your-computer-isnt-yours/ 
    argonaut
  • Reply 6 of 21
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    Beats said:

The Apple TV, not being a Mac, will not be using an M1 chip in any future iteration.
    entropystmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Beats said:

chasm said:
    Beats said:

The Apple TV, not being a Mac, will not be using an M1 chip in any future iteration.
    The M1 is way overpowered for an Apple TV. It will more likely use an iPad/iPhone SoC.
    edited November 2020 ronn
  • Reply 8 of 21
    I'm sure Apple would like to spin the surprise as something to help customers get through Coronavirus. I pay for lots of services but I've never paid for a movie, so a good idea for Apple might be to offer users some free movies, hoping to get them hooked on a new service.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Iphone socks.
    hexclockbalustompyrazorpit
  • Reply 10 of 21
    chasm said:
    Beats said:

I believe Apple can go for the consoles with an M1 (sort of) kind of processor on an Apple TV. As of now the ATV looks to me as overpriced related to PS4/xboxes. They have not said that M1 will not be able to run TVos or IOs... just guessing ... to grow revenues AAPL should go for more countries or more services and (why not?) more capable hardware...
  • Reply 11 of 21
    To bad Apple gave up on competing in the router market.  The M1 would bring it #1 for Wi-Fi 6 performance.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Someone should write an app that looks like an animated Star of Bethlehem so you can mount your iPhone on top of your Christmas tree. Of course, it might take a little ingenuity to mount it up there safely. The name of the app should be "Star of Bethlehem" so you can say, "Hey Siri, Launch Star of Bethlehem."
  • Reply 13 of 21
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    entropys said:
    Iphone socks.
    Now you’ve gone and done it 😂
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Someone should write an app that looks like an animated Star of Bethlehem so you can mount your iPhone on top of your Christmas tree. Of course, it might take a little ingenuity to mount it up there safely. The name of the app should be "Star of Bethlehem" so you can say, "Hey Siri, Launch Star of Bethlehem."

I get you were just trying to be funny, but seems like a lot of trouble, when you could just plug your tree lights into a smart outlet of some sort or another...

Anyway this forum system is horrendous on iPad.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    ....Anyway this forum system is horrendous on iPad.

Curios, Why would you say that?  I'm mostly  on my iPad when visiting this and similar forums... No Problems.. easy flow!    It may be different from Desktop  but Horrendous?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    ....Anyway this forum system is horrendous on iPad.

Curios, Why would you say that?  I'm mostly  on my iPad when visiting this and similar forums... No Problems.. easy flow!    It may be different from Desktop  but Horrendous?

Try posting something, then going back to edit it by adding a new quote. It can be done, but there’s like a golden path and if you deviate from it replies get lumped into things being quoted and other bizarre quirks. Maybe not horrendous by most standards, but it’s highly ironic being that it’s for an Apple-centric site. And a lot of people have complained about it over the past couple years. It’s not great. I guess we’re just spoiled by the Apple experience.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Doubling of iCloud storage?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    chasm said:
    Beats said:

I believe Apple can go for the consoles with an M1 (sort of) kind of processor on an Apple TV. As of now the ATV looks to me as overpriced related to PS4/xboxes. They have not said that M1 will not be able to run TVos or IOs... just guessing ... to grow revenues AAPL should go for more countries or more services and (why not?) more capable hardware...
    Who is comparing the ATV to the consoles you mention? You don't think if they keep the current path and update from the A10x in the existing 4K Appletv's to the newest A14 chip the hardware won't be capable?  I have 3 current gen ATV 4ks in my home. Not once have I felt it they were underpowered in the slightest. I have tried Apple Arcade games with a PS4 controller and they were smooth and fast.. I just prefer to do my gaming on an actual console PS4 and now PS5. I don't see Apple going after big AAA games for the Apple Tv.. I could be wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

I will agree however that the price is a bit high after 3 years of the same hardware. Not compared to game consoles but streaming boxes in general.

razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    chasm said:
    Beats said:

The issue with tvOS and games is not the hardware, it's that there are no games that are particularly good. They're almost all just phone-style games, very few have any real immersion and I've only come across one that makes me want make time to actually sit down and play. 
    razorpit
  • Reply 20 of 21
    I'm sure Apple would like to spin the surprise as something to help customers get through Coronavirus. I pay for lots of services but I've never paid for a movie, so a good idea for Apple might be to offer users some free movies, hoping to get them hooked on a new service.
    Yes, appeasing cheapskates who don’t want to pay for content is always a winning strategy. You miss the whole free ATV+ thing somehow?
    razorpitwatto_cobra