Paid Apple TV+ subscribers to receive $4.99 credits until January

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2020
Apple is providing credits to customers who paid for access to Apple TV+, with paid subscribers set to receive $4.99 per month between November and January 2021.

Emails have started to be received by Apple customers who have signed up for Apple TV+'s paid service, declaring they will be receiving the equivalent of their subscription fee back for a three-month period. Eligible accounts, namely any Apple TV+ subscribers paying for access, will receive a store credit to their Apple ID each month in the period, which can be used towards other Apple services, the App Store, or a future Apple TV+ subscription.

The value of the credit will be $4.99 per month in the United States, and will be the local equivalent cost of the monthly Apple TV+ subscription in other territories.

The credit is a "thank you for being an Apple TV+ subscriber," the email advises, though it is likely to bring paid customers in line with what Apple provided to its free users. Hardware-buying customers who received 12 months of Apple TV+ access for free had their time lengthened by three months in October.

The probable reason for providing more free time in general is due to the COVID-19 pandemic impacting a number of major Apple TV+ productions, delaying their release. This may give customers more of a chance to watch the second season of "Dickinson," set to premiere on January 8, as well as other season premieres, which may encourage free users to pay up and continue watching.

Those under the free-year offer will not receive the credits, due to having the three-month extension.

Aside from being provided free for a year with some hardware purchases, Apple TV+ is available in the United States for $4.99 per month or $49.99 annually.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    “Desperate times call for desperate measures.” - Shakespeare
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple extended the free trial period so it’s only fair to extend the paid subscriptions also. Thanks Apple.
    edited November 2020 mac_dogronn
  • Reply 3 of 23
    fred1 said:
    We all know your ilk is desperately hoping for Apple TV+ to fail simply because it doesn’t conform to your ideas. Sad.
    ronn
  • Reply 4 of 23
    My free year has not been extended 3 months. But I’ll be annually renewing next June anyway. Ted Lasso and Tehran are enough to love the service.
    edited November 2020 ronn
  • Reply 5 of 23
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I’m still in a trial period and Apple TV is definitely worth free. 
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    Is Canada included?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    lkrupp said:
    fred1 said:
    We all know your ilk is desperately hoping for Apple TV+ to fail simply because it doesn’t conform to your ideas. Sad.
    Please clarify: 
    you all? Who are you including in this? 
    you know? How do you “know”? Tarot cards? Tea leaves? Crystal ball?
    Let me explain since you obviously have no idea. I have no reason to hope that Apple TV+ will fail. Why would I? I would gain nothing, not would many others. I am simply saying that it has not been nearly as popular as expected and Apple is desperate to get the numbers up. Do you understand?
    elijahgCloudTalkinJazzMonkeychemengin1
  • Reply 8 of 23
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    “Greedy Apple” up to their funny business again.

fred1 said:

Yet if this was netflix or Disney you’d be praising them and bashing Apple for being “greedy”. The hypocrisy is always funny.

fred1 said:
    lkrupp said:
    fred1 said:
    Please clarify: 
    Let me explain since you obviously have no idea. I have no reason to hope that Apple TV+ will fail. Why would I? I would gain nothing, not would many others. I am simply saying that it has not been nearly as popular as expected and Apple is desperate to get the numbers up. Do you understand?

How do you have insider info on Apples subscriber numbers?

Tarot cards? Tea leaves? Crystal ball?
  • Reply 9 of 23

Yet if this was netflix or Disney you’d be praising them and bashing Apple for being “greedy”. The hypocrisy is always funny.
    I really would like to know what you’re talking about and why you refuse to understand my comment. Why do you think for a minute that I love Netflix or Disney and not Apple?  This certainly is the season for baseless claims with no evidence to support them. 
    I explained my view, but you refuse to believe. 

Nope, no Tarot cards, etc. Just the internet. You can do searches on it. You should try it. 

• Reply 10 of 23
    fred1 said:
    lkrupp said:
    fred1 said:
    Please clarify: 
    Yes, I understand you are in the hater class. And you are not a subscriber nor Apple TV owner according to your posting history in which you talk about connecting your computer to your TV with an HMDI cable and only wishing you were a subscriber a couple of times. Interesting.

Apple has yet to release any subscriber numbers ( paid OR free) for Apple TV+ so you have no data to claim Apple is “desperate” in extending subscriptions. You merely assume that’s the case because you personally don’t like the service and don’t subscribe. Your negative colleagues are waiting for the end of the free trials so they can claim victory and declare it a failure, all because you and they don’t like what it is. When the free trials end I suppose you will startled to see revenue from Apple TV+ start to rise because of free trials converting to paid subscriptions. Even if more drop off than subscribe (we don’t know what will happen) the service will begin brining in revenue and profit.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    lkrupp said:
    fred1 said:
    lkrupp said:
    fred1 said:
    Please clarify: 
    Yes, I understand you are in the hater class. And you are not a subscriber nor Apple TV owner according to your posting history in which you talk about connecting your computer to your TV with an HMDI cable and only wishing you were a subscriber a couple of times. Interesting.

Apple has yet to release any subscriber numbers ( paid OR free) for Apple TV+ so you have no data to claim Apple is “desperate” in extending subscriptions. You merely assume that’s the case because you personally don’t like the service and don’t subscribe. Your negative colleagues are waiting for the end of the free trials so they can claim victory and declare it a failure, all because you and they don’t like what it is. When the free trials end I suppose you will startled to see revenue from Apple TV+ start to rise because of free trials converting to paid subscriptions. Even if more drop off than subscribe (we don’t know what will happen) the service will begin brining in revenue and profit.
    To be clear - Apple TV+ is a total let down to a lot of customers and stockholders.  The content is limited, incredibly boring and totally lame.  I have a free year subscription- and I still canceled it after 2 months.  I’m not alone.  

fred1chemengin1
  • Reply 12 of 23
    I called Apple and their iTunes department says they are NOT adding three months to any first free annual subscriptions. I completely disagree with JazzMonkey.

To Be Clear: I love AppleTV+ and will be annually subscribing for only $49.99 after my first free year.
    edited November 2020 randominternetperson
  • Reply 13 of 23
    lkrupp said:
    fred1 said:
    lkrupp said:
    fred1 said:
    Please clarify: 

To be clear - Apple TV+ is a total let down to a lot of customers and stockholders.  The content is limited, incredibly boring and totally lame.  I have a free year subscription- and I still canceled it after 2 months.  I’m not alone.  

Not clear at all. You have no data what-so-ever to back up that claim. You think "The content is limited, incredibly boring and totally lame” but thats just you and it’s incredibly “lame” to make such a completely subjective claim and then say it’s universal. And that kind of language puts you in the hater camp too. 
    ronnrandominternetpersonmike1
  • Reply 14 of 23
    My free year has not been extended 3 months. But I’ll be annually renewing next June anyway. Ted Lasso and Tehran are enough to love the service.
    Dumb question and I think I know the answer, but...

Is it possible to watch Tehran dubbed in English?  If so, how?
  • Reply 15 of 23
    lkrupp said:
    fred1 said:
    lkrupp said:
    fred1 said:
    Please clarify: 

No, you don’t understand. I am not in any way part of a “hater class”. And I did have a free subscription to Apple TV+, but I cancelled it before it expired because there was nothing I wanted to see. 
    I’ve said this already, but it seems that no one can understand my point in what I originally wrote. Please read it this time:
    I do not hate Apple or Apple TV+. There is nothing to indicate this in what I wrote. My point is that the numbers of subscribers is below expectations so Apple is extending free subscriptions and giving credit for paid months in order to temporarily keep the numbers high. This has nothing to do with what I personally think of the service or the content. 
    There are many possible explanations for why Apple TV+ isn’t doing as well as hoped. Here are a few:
    - it started too long after other services already had a large share of the market. 
    - the market is saturated. 
    - the content is not what people want/expect. 
    - the quality is not what people want/expect. 
    -there hasn’t been enough marketing. 
    - the marketing that there has been has not been effective. 

One thing is certain, I completely underestimated how emotional people get about something like a streaming service. But I should have known since people get angry about differing opinions of things like pumpkin spice lattes and reality TV. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 16 of 23
    will be interesting to see which of these streaming players are still here in 10 years. i cant imagine there is room for them all.
    fred1
  • Reply 17 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member

I think the extension only applied (so far) to those who started their free trial in 2019, since production of a lot of original content was delayed due to Covid.
    ronn
  • Reply 18 of 23
    fred1 said:
    lkrupp said:
    fred1 said:
    lkrupp said:
    fred1 said:
    Please clarify: 

No, you don’t understand. I am not in any way part of a “hater class”. And I did have a free subscription to Apple TV+, but I cancelled it before it expired because there was nothing I wanted to see. 
    I’ve said this already, but it seems that no one can understand my point in what I originally wrote. Please read it this time:
    I do not hate Apple or Apple TV+. There is nothing to indicate this in what I wrote. My point is that the numbers of subscribers is below expectations so Apple is extending free subscriptions and giving credit for paid months in order to temporarily keep the numbers high. This has nothing to do with what I personally think of the service or the content. 
    There are many possible explanations for why Apple TV+ isn’t doing as well as hoped. Here are a few:
    - it started too long after other services already had a large share of the market. 
    - the market is saturated. 
    - the content is not what people want/expect. 
    - the quality is not what people want/expect. 
    -there hasn’t been enough marketing. 
    - the marketing that there has been has not been effective. 

One thing is certain, I completely underestimated how emotional people get about something like a streaming service. But I should have known since people get angry about differing opinions of things like pumpkin spice lattes and reality TV. 
    And where, exactly, are you getting this information? Apple has not released any subscriber data yet you claim " My point is that the numbers of subscribers is below expectations”. How do you know that? Of course AI is full of negative response to anything Apple so are you extrapolating the carping of trolls into a fact? Analysts are notoriously wrong most of the time when they pontificate about Apple. So ask you again, where asre you getting your information that Apple TV+ is failing miserably. Or is it just confirmation bias on your part. You don't like it so you assume no one likes it?

Your “point” is invalid. I'm not going to put my two cents about Apple TV+ because it’s irrelevant. I am, however, calling you out for stating your personal opinion as indisputable fact. It’s ain’t. As for your bullet points you are just parroting what you read on some blog and have  NO data to support them, period.
    edited November 2020 randominternetperson
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Just watched their Tiny World series, which features remarkable photography. The made up stories which accompany the on screen behavior are ridiculous and made for kids, but the imagery is amazing.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 20 of 23
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    fred1 said:
    lkrupp said:
    fred1 said:
    Please clarify: 
    I don't understand how you can make a statement like this?  Where are you gauging popularity from? What source?  You went hard with the Tarot, Tea leaves, Crystal ball comment obviously because you didn't like Ikrupp's comment.. I get that.   Then in the same breath you made a comment that you actually have no way to quantify?

ATV+ has existed for a year.. Netflix at this point has been around for 13 years with it's streaming offering just for reference. It's a bit premature to be calling it a failure at this point IMHO. So you're original comment is absolutely pointing to failure. If not then maybe I misunderstood what you were getting at?