Apple launches new embeddable web player for Podcasts

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
Apple on Monday launched a new embeddable web player for its Podcasts, giving creators, marketers, and listeners new options for sharing and playing podcast content.

Credit: AppleInsider
Credit: AppleInsider

As first spotted by TechCrunch, anyone can create an embeddable web player from either the Apple Podcasts Preview page or the Apple Podcasts Marketing Tools portal.

The web player is customizable and includes the most recent episodes of a single podcast. It's also interactive, allowing listeners to play an entire episode without moving to another app or webpage. Users can also use the web player to open the Apple Podcasts app so that they can learn more about a program or add it to their subscriptions.

Each embed player is responsive and will adapt to various interfaces on macOS, iOS, or other operating systems. They also feature the full suite of playback controls and show notes.

Listeners can also generate embed codes through the Share icon on the Preview page for a show or individual episode. Apple said that the new feature should be available broadly starting Monday.

As an example, here is the embeddable web player for the AppleInsider Podcast.

Apple added web playback support for its podcasts platform back in April 2019. The new feature on Monday will allow users to create embedded web players for any of Apple's more than 1.5 million shows.

The new marketing tool comes amid increasing competition from platforms such as Spotify, which has invested heavily in its podcast platform. Spotify also offers embeddable web players for its podcasts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Is there STILL not a next button on Podcasts in iOS 14?

im on an iPhone 5s so I can’t fell.

It’s sad seeing the company that invented Podcasts sabotaging their own platform. Even knockoffs like Google adopted the “Pod”cast name. They couldn’t call them GoogleCasts or something?  Sad. 
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Beats said:

It’s sad seeing the company that invented Podcasts sabotaging their own platform. Even knockoffs like Google adopted the “Pod”cast name. They couldn’t call them GoogleCasts or something?  Sad. 
    Apple didn't actually invent podcasts, though the "pod" part of the name was based on being able to play them on iPods.

Former MTV VJ Adam Curry and Dave Winer paired up to create the format (ie Winer was the Woz and Curry the Jobs)
    gregoriusmchasm
  • Reply 3 of 7
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    Beats said:

There is. And a "play last" button as well! The default on the Apple Podcasts app (there are others as I'm sure you know) is to play the next UNPLAYED episode when the episode you're on ends, but you can change that in preferences.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    While Apple didn't invent the podcast format/concept, I'm glad they were an early champion of it, and I'm especially glad that they didn't force monetization of the entire genre the way Spotify, Google, and others are trying to do. I certainly don't mind podcasters making money from ads or Patreons (et al), but the fact that nearly all podcasts are completely free to listen to is a wonderful gift that helped grow the format into a bonafide internet success story -- one that is now mainstream enough to support monetization for high-quality podcasts.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    dwebarts said:
    Beats said:

Apple didn't actually invent podcasts, though the "pod" part of the name was based on being able to play them on iPods.

Former MTV VJ Adam Curry and Dave Winer paired up to create the format (ie Winer was the Woz and Curry the Jobs)
    He knows this, it's been pointed out to him multiple times.  Since he knows and continues to spread the falsehood, he's a troll.

https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/3265793/#Comment_3265793
    Rayz2016elijahg
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    crowley said:
    dwebarts said:
    Beats said:

He knows this, it's been pointed out to him multiple times.  Since he knows and continues to spread the falsehood, he's a troll.

Sounds vaguely familiar. Perhaps he needs better role models.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Again, Apple adds more bells and whistles but neglects screw-ups it's made. Example, as far as I know, they've never fixed the Podcast app's inability to designate where one desires to store podcasts and instead forces them be stored on the home drive. I have a Mac Mini on my home theater and have a large library of video podcasts which filled the Mac's drive. Normally, I store all media on an external hard drive. To get some space on the drive, I've had to reassign the podcasts as TV shows.

I want the old Apple back. You know, the Apple that actually designed products with the user's needs in mind rather than focus on profits like all its competitors. Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs.