Early macOS Big Sur adopters running into teething issues

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    For me big sur is konda mixed feelings... Feels fresh, but on the other hand I am going to reinstall macbook tomorrow since most of my 3rd apps simply can’t connect to the internet (just connection time out...) and safari is working just fine etc. So I hope that reinstall will do it + I am kinda sad I am gonna need to buy new Parallela licence just because bug sur doesn’t support 15 version... on the other hand my 12” MB works just fine on Big sur (which is kinda irony, when bigger brother has those issues - mid 2017 MBP 15”...) I was even 1 hour on phone with support, I will see tommorrow how f*ck up I am...
  • Reply 22 of 54
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    dewme said:

dewme said:
    dewme said:
    Several apps show as Update available in App Store, but when I click on Update, nothing happens. 
    We're finding that this means that there is a sub-point update after an initial Big Sur or Apple Silicon update. Closing and re-opening Software Update and letting it do its thing for a few minutes should clear this up.
    I’ve tried that, tried rebooting, tried logging out then logging back in to my App Store account, tried downloading an app I previously purchased that was not on the machine, etc. Nothing makes a difference. Nothing strange looking in Activity Monitor in terms of CPU or memory use. I’ll keep trying other things.
    Huh. We haven't seen this one in our patrols, then. Let me know how it goes.
    When I click on Subscriptions: Manage via Apple ID / Media and Purchases I get the error "Cannot Connect to App Store" so something is hosed with the App Store recognizing my Apple ID at the point where it actually tries to download content.
    That, we have seen off and on since the dawn of the app store. A log out and log in of iCloud on the affected machine is a pain in the ass, but will probably fix your problem.
    You’re right about the PIA factor. 

That symptom may be unrelated since it also happens on a second Mac that has no app downloading issues. In fact, the machine that is having the downloading problem was on the Big Sur beta program since about beta 3 and it worked perfectly fine up until midway through this morning when it decided to quit. 

Oddly, I received a Big Sur update this morning that was only about 2.1 GB in size, well after the downloading issue surfaced. Installing that one didn’t change anything. 

Nothing about this glitch makes any sense, other than the affected machine being a late 2013 MacBook Pro 13” Retina, which seems to be one of the problem children with the release version of Big Sur. The fact that it sailed through the beta gauntlet with no real issues doesn’t seem to matter. Apple tweaked something with the Big Sur release that sprung open Pandora’s Box. 
  • Reply 23 of 54
    I had the email search problem. First attempt to rebuild mailbox did not work. I also saw problems with spotlight, so I initiated a rebuild of Spotlight Index. No immediate fix, but I noticed that Mail was trying to download all email again, and that was exceptionally slow. Rebooted machine and then Mail was downloaded normally and search worked again, even though Spotlight was still Indexing.

Now Spotlight indexing completed (took about 12 hours) and everything seems ok. Big Sur with Spotlight improvements finally fixed Outlook search: for the first time in years I can find all my mail in Outlook (I have about 20GB in archives). This is consistent on 2 machines.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Angmoh said:
    I had the email search problem. First attempt to rebuild mailbox did not work. I also saw problems with spotlight, so I initiated a rebuild of Spotlight Index. No immediate fix, but I noticed that Mail was trying to download all email again, and that was exceptionally slow. Rebooted machine and then Mail was downloaded normally and search worked again, even though Spotlight was still Indexing.

Now Spotlight indexing completed (took about 12 hours) and everything seems ok. Big Sur with Spotlight improvements finally fixed Outlook search: for the first time in years I can find all my mail in Outlook (I have about 20GB in archives). This is consistent on 2 machines.
    That’s a hell of a lot of email. I suspect that developers of most email products don’t ... uh ... test that kind of usage.
    philboogie
  • Reply 25 of 54
    hmlongco said:
    FortiClient VPN doesn't work.
    I've used it several times since updating to Big Sur with no issue.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    AniMill said:
    Adobe After Effects is whacked. They’ve had a year to test, and day-one there’s numerous issues...so much that quite a few content creators are DOA.
    No one who depends on a machine for income would be dumb enough to upgrade to a new OS on day 1. And if they are, we’re probably better off without their “content”.

michelb76sailorpaulphilboogie
  • Reply 27 of 54
    dysamoria said:
    Angmoh said:

That’s a hell of a lot of email. I suspect that developers of most email products don’t ... uh ... test that kind of usage.
    You’d be surprised. I have users with 47 of 50 GB in their Office account and a full 50 GB in their archive and they still complain that they have to move stuff out of it.  :/
    philboogie
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Sounds like not being a first adopter was the best move in this case. I almost took the dive thinking Big Sur was more of refinement over Catalina. That assumption just went out the window. Apple really needs to focus on quality control. Everything should "just work" before new features are added.
    tyler82philboogie
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    viclauyyc said:
    spheric said:
    AniMill said:

There are “content creators” who upgrade their OS main work machine without ensuring that their primary tools are certified for the update? 

Are they new in the business? 
    Shouldn’t apple to do enough testing to make sure their latest and greatest major OS release is safe enough and good enough?

Should Apple test every single app in existence to make sure it runs, then release the OS eight hundred years from now?

lamboaudi4Detnator
  • Reply 30 of 54
    No issues here so far, though I have some apps that need UI updates. 

I installed Adobe a few years back and it needed Java to run, so I uninstalled it because I knew I was looking at a codebase creaking under the weight of poor decisions, patches, hacks and workarounds. This was always going to be problematic whenever Apple made massive changes. 

Shame that others didn’t have the luxury of choice. 

• Reply 31 of 54
    I meant to post this a while back after my Apple Watch stopped unlocking my Mac after an update. Might be worth trying:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/watchos-7-beta-5-unlock-mac-doesnt-work.2250819/post-28904426

philboogie
  • Reply 32 of 54
    razorpit said:
    AniMill said:
    Adobe After Effects is whacked. They’ve had a year to test, and day-one there’s numerous issues...so much that quite a few content creators are DOA.
    No one who depends on a machine for income would be dumb enough to upgrade to a new OS on day 1. And if they are, we’re probably better off without their “content”.

I updated my machine, but didn’t upgrade Mrs Rayz2016’s new laptop. She relies on it to stay in contact with her elderly parents who’re isolating in the countryside. 

Frankly, I’m surprised when Adobe software doesn’t crash and burn after an update. 
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Rayz2016 said:
    I meant to post this a while back after my Apple Watch stopped unlocking my Mac after an update. Might be worth trying:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/watchos-7-beta-5-unlock-mac-doesnt-work.2250819/post-28904426

Heck I’ve been having that issue for years. Usually a reboot or turning the feature off/on works too.  :D
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Prior to Big Sur I never noticed any problems with my Apple keyboard, but since Big Sur I've noticed that about 0.1% of my keypresses aren't registering.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Wireless calling is broken. I was getting a screen prompt telling me to click on System Preferences every minute to enable, which I did but a minute later there it was again.I walked away from the computer and had 50 to 60 of these. The only way to stop it was to quit FaceTime altogether. So I will not be doing FaceTime from my Late 2014 loaded 27 inch  iMac 5K Retina with 4Ghz Quad-core i7, with 32 G of Ram and AMD Radeon R9 M295X for the near future.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    Bug wise, Big Sur has been relatively stable and the update process was very smooth (Europe download).
    I’m mostly disappointed with all the “white” in apps like Mail, and the loss of buttons with icons in favor of just icons. The usability is suffering.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    Big Sur is telling me my brand new APFS formatted external drive has an unfixable error and is read only and needs to be backed up and formatted immediately. Connecting it again yesterday it won’t even mount in Big Sur at all.

It mounts fine in Catalina and Mojave and all possible Disk Utility scans tell me it’s fine and I have no trouble accessing and modifying data on those OSes.

Encrypted APFS on external drives is a disaster in my experience. NEVER use the “Encrypt Drive” context menu especially, you WILL experience some data loss. Never ever again, ever. I will be copying the contents to another drive and formatting my all my new drives to HFS Encrypted. 
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Yeah, I'm skipping this public beta.
    mbenz1962
  • Reply 39 of 54
    amoonra said:
    For me big sur is konda mixed feelings... Feels fresh, but on the other hand I am going to reinstall macbook tomorrow since most of my 3rd apps simply can’t connect to the internet (just connection time out...) and safari is working just fine etc. So I hope that reinstall will do it + I am kinda sad I am gonna need to buy new Parallela licence just because bug sur doesn’t support 15 version... on the other hand my 12” MB works just fine on Big sur (which is kinda irony, when bigger brother has those issues - mid 2017 MBP 15”...) I was even 1 hour on phone with support, I will see tommorrow how f*ck up I am...
    A friend of mine called me 2 days ago because he was having problems getting Apps to connect to the internet on his 2019 iMac after the update. Safari would go online but almost every website triggered an "this connection isn't private / secure error".  iMessages would come through, but App Store wouldn't load.  We tried resetting SMC and PRAM/NVRAM and some other old school "hocus-pocus" to no avail.
    In the end we used internet recovery (Command + R on boot) to reinstall the OS.  He reported yesterday that this fixed all of his problems.  If you are having weird connectivity issues this may help.  This was one step before the "nuclear option" of erasing the HDD and doing a complete reinstall and restore from back up.  I'm glad the OS reinstall fixed his issue because it was way less work.  
    Normally, I install the MacOS updates right away, but I was busy last week.  After these reports and my friend's experiance, I am, for the first time, holding off on the update until 11.1 for my 2015 iMac. 
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Since the upgrade to Bug Sir, my Music app crashes constantly! Right now it quits as soon as it starts! 
    Apple spent eons beta testing this upgrade, I guess they missed one of the apps that people enjoy the most, Music.