Amazon employees arrested for stealing $592,000 worth of iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2020
A group of five Amazon employees has been arrested for allegedly stealing iPhones from a logistics center in Madrid, Spain, in an operation that is believed to have involved the theft of 500,000 euro ($592,000) in goods.

An Amazon fulfilment center.
An Amazon fulfilment center.

The arrests were made following an internal investigation by Amazon itself, discovering there were issues with some packages sent to customers due to some having weights differing from what the actual order was expected to weigh. The detected differences prompted Amazon to install hidden cameras to find out what was happening.

It was determined a group of workers was slipping new iPhones like the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro into orders secretly, replacing the actually ordered contents of a package at the last moment. iPadizate reports it is believed the orders were placed by an accomplice.

Three of the five people implicated in the theft ring were arrested on leaving work, a fourth was picked up while working, and a fifth turned himself in to police voluntarily. All five have been fired by Amazon and are awaiting trial.

The workers were found to have ten iPhones in their possession, intended to be dispatched out using the same method. They were also carrying a large number of stickers with IMEI numbers, seemingly torn from boxes to hamper the investigation.

Further arrests have not been ruled out, with investigations continuing to determine where the dispatched iPhones ended up. It is estimated half a million euros worth of devices were stolen by the group.

The popularity and premium nature of iPhones make them a target for thefts. In March, 3 million euros worth of iPhones were taken from Amsterdam's Schipol airport, followed by 530,000 euros worth of Apple Watches the following May.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    It was determined a group of workers was slipping new iPhones like the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro into orders secretly, replacing the actually ordered contents of a package at the last moment. iPadizate reports it is believed the orders were placed by an accomplice.

Ya think?  Or perhaps they are the notorious Santa Thieves who just like giving expensive stuff to strangers.

The smaller packaging of the new iPhones marginally helps thieves as well.  Maybe Apple should start packaging then like CDs in the 1980s to make them bulkier.
    edited November 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    What do you think we're looking at with that Amazon stock photo?  That clearly isn't a traditional "warehouse" since every shelf contains an eclectic mix of products (and mostly books?).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    What do you think we're looking at with that Amazon stock photo?  That clearly isn't a traditional "warehouse" since every shelf contains an eclectic mix of products (and mostly books?).
    Looks like a pretty old stock photo.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Amazon actually found it is faster and more efficient to “randomly” place stock all over the warehouse.  Not all the XYZ Widget are in one place, but on shelves all over.   Obviously their computer system knows where everything is and so as stock is pulled they can go to the closest position for the next item needed for the order instead of potentially going all the way across the warehouse (if all of the same widget were in one place ).  

This article describes it (amongst other Amazon related stuff) — https://www.logiwa.com/blog/amazon-inventory-management-system

randominternetpersonronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Cool article.  Thanks for sharing.  Having said that, the picture in the article looks like a warehouse and nothing like the picture in THIS article.  I agree with Spam, I bet that stock photo is from decades ago.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    So they stole over 500 iPhones before this was discovered?? 
    SgtJmackwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Dummies smfh all they had to do was continue working and save up their money and start a drop shipping business selling phones but instead they thought robbery would work 🤦🏾‍♀️🤦🏾‍♀️🤦🏾‍♀️ 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    I'm just curious as to how it took this long, you never got complaints like I read on ebay about how people was getting empty boxes and stuff, when people complain about something do you just shrug it off or turn your head. If I owned a business and customers complained about anything all it would take is one complaint for me to look in to it not hundreds or thousands.
    SgtJmackwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21
    It was determined a group of workers was slipping new iPhones like the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro into orders secretly, replacing the actually ordered contents of a package at the last moment. iPadizate reports it is believed the orders were placed by an accomplice.

Ya think?  Or perhaps they are the notorious Santa Thieves who just like giving expensive stuff to strangers.

The smaller packaging of the new iPhones marginally helps thieves as well.  Maybe Apple should start packaging then like CDs in the 1980s to make them bulkier.
    In the Apple video, they told us that they wanted smaller packaging and told us there were headphones and power supplies overrunning our houses, causing us to buy larger houses, waste precious natural resources, and cause islands in the South Pacific to capsize.  To relieve this problem, they stopped shipping the power supplies and headphones, and pocketed the $38 retail value of these, and made the box thinner, so they could get more on the aircraft used to deliver them, instead of using an ocean transport.  Virtue will only convenient when it's convenient.

That was fun (not!) getting CD's in the '80s, and getting outside of Tower Records and cutting the package open and throwing it away, even for gifts. 
    SgtJmack
  • Reply 10 of 21
    This goes back to Amazon and there crappy pay they work u like a dog pay is litterly average at best
  • Reply 11 of 21
    This goes back to Amazon and there crappy pay they work u like a dog pay is litterly average at best
    No.. this boils down to certain individuals lacking morals and thinking it’s okay to be a thief. Find a new, better paying job if the you have sucks... or continue your education. There ARE more viable options out there that won’t land you in prison. #DoBetterHumans
    SgtJmackWhosthebrainsherewatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21

In the Apple video, they told us that they wanted smaller packaging and told us there were headphones and power supplies overrunning our houses, causing us to buy larger houses, waste precious natural resources, and cause islands in the South Pacific to capsize.  To relieve this problem, they stopped shipping the power supplies and headphones, and pocketed the $38 retail value of these, and made the box thinner, so they could get more on the aircraft used to deliver them, instead of using an ocean transport.  Virtue will only convenient when it's convenient.

That was fun (not!) getting CD's in the '80s, and getting outside of Tower Records and cutting the package open and throwing it away, even for gifts. 
    Not t mention thy are still ending the headphones and chargers and cords etc. to the stores and CHARGING you full price to buy them. 

So, no it wasn't anything to do with "saving the environment".

And they do use ships.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    No, this goes back to the individual being immoral and a thief. The pay isn't that bad at Amazon for the meanial task jobs that those people do. If you want more money, bring more to the table.
    Whosthebrainshere
  • Reply 14 of 21

Oh yeah, and they didn't have to remove the items from the packaging in order to save room. All they had to do was simply make the boxes smaller.  Look inside the older boxes and you'll see there is a lot of air inside. Heck, even the new box has too much air inside but plenty of room for those items.

I just bought a Samsung Note 20 Ultra and guess what, same size as before, but no headphones, case or screen protector like before. They are all getting cheap and charging us more, like $1300 for the phone. I'm not complaining about the phone as it is a great device, just the little things the company does,... or doesn't do.
    jeffythequick
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Incredible!  People actually think that because a company doesn't pay them what they feel is what they deserve or their worth, it "justifies" internal theft. First of all, NOBODY makes anyone go apply or work for a particular company. That's your choice. You know the pay and conditions going in so that's on YOU. But, I do agree that companies as successful and as powerful as Amazon and Apple should pay better wages because the line workers are vital and they are an important piece of the company's bottom line. If powerful companies shared the wealth more fairly and reasonably, I think we wouldn't see as many of these stories. 
    edited November 2020 MeddBlue22watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    For those who haven't had the opportunity to tour an amazon facility you should go and visit. It's Built like a high tech federal penitentiary.  Impervious to a nuclear blast and more bars and security measures than fort knox.  Drab grey cement and yellow surround you while workers bathroom and bowel movements are tracked to decimal point accuracy. They churn through their chipper young tour guides every few months (tour guides are PR corporate employees not laborers in the warehouse). My guess is the tour guides get sick of trying to force the plebs to smile as the bourgeois outsiders observe them in a caged environment.  But hey, it's super fast delivery.  
  • Reply 17 of 21
    SgtJmack said:
    No, this goes back to the individual being immoral and a thief. The pay isn't that bad at Amazon for the meanial task jobs that those people do. If you want more money, bring more to the table.
    I can't argue with your position except to say there is no honor among thieves.  Amazon's monopoly is a threat to every economy and free individual in the world and they ain't close to being done with their master plan.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    That is so messed up I work for Amazon in Fresno ca and this company treats there employees well we may work are asses off for Amazon but my employer takes good care of there employees with good pay and benefits and we have a lot of extra and when my love one past away they could care of me shame on them
    MeddBlue22watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    I used to do security at an Amazon fulfillment site i seen a worker walk out with numerous IPhones i told lose prevention and they said they knew they were building a case. I asked how long has he been doing it they said about 6months I said isn't that enough for a case. I asked for the guys name looked him up on Facebook and showed them pictures of him with dozens of IPhones. I said theres your case shes the phones he took him woth said phones we have video of him on the line taking said phones no do your job.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    A good solution is to higher a lot of people that are special needs or have a disability believe it or not a few big companies have tried that and they are doing very well. Many people with disabilities are very capable of doing a good job, are honest, come in on time, finish their work and go home. So try it!!!