MagSafe Duo Charger limited to 11W with 20W adapter

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
Although the single MagSafe Charger can provide wireless charging up to 15 watts, Apple now says that the MagSafe Duo cannot reach that rate, and is instead limited to either 11W or at most 14W, depending on the power adapter used.

Apple's forthcoming MagSafe Duo Charger
Apple's forthcoming MagSafe Duo Charger

Although the previously-announced MagSafe Duo Charger is listed on the Apple Store site, it remains shown only as coming soon. However, Apple has now updated the product information on the store's listing, and revealed that the device will charge at less than the regular MagSafe Charger.

Specifically, if users have or separately buy a 20W USB-C power adapter, they will only get up to 11W of charging on compatible devices. The iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max can in theory be wirelessly charged up to 15W. The iPhone 12 mini is limited to a maximum of 12W.

If a user instead buys a 27W USB-C power adapter, they still won't get the full 15W. Instead, the charger will provide a maximum of 14W.

The MagSafe Duo Charger is to retail for $129, and in comparison the regular MagSafe Charger is $39. Apple says that this single MagSafe Charger can provide up to 15W.

Apple recommends a 20W power adapter -- with good reason -- and does sell one separately for $19. It does not sell a 27W adapter, but it has a 30W USB-C one for $49. Apple says that can be used with "select iPhone and iPad models to take advantage of the fast-charging feature."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    As predicted last week. 
    So, let’s see... that’s a total of $148 for a compromised charging speed OR $178 for a slightly better, yet still compromised, charging speed? Lol, I can’t wait to hear how it gets defended now.  
    caladanianwilliamlondonsvanstromjeffythequick
  • Reply 2 of 18
    The value proposition for this device keeps getting lower.  You gotta really really want this to drop coin.  This is for the fan's fan.  
    williamlondonTheObannonFile
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I’m not one to often invoke the holiness Steve Jobs himself, but… He absolutely would have blown a fuse if he’d seen this confusing mess Apple has created, in about a month, with different chargers and standards (all of it invisible to the average user).
    williamlondon80s_Apple_GuyFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Japhey said:
    As predicted last week. 
    So, let’s see... that’s a total of $148 for a compromised charging speed OR $178 for a slightly better, yet still compromised, charging speed? Lol, I can’t wait to hear how it gets defended now.  

Charging speed isn't everything to everyone. Overnight is still overnight and I don't care whether my watch and phone are done charging at 3:00am or 3:30am.
    Still going to make a nice travel charger. I would probably start using it with one of the multitude of iPad (12W, I believe) chargers I have kicking around and see how that goes.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I take a different view on this...  I see this products use case as something you use on travel.  11W charging is plenty when all you would do is put it on the charger at night and it would be charged in the morning.  And if yo want the higher rate buy a 3rd party power adapter like the 60W Anker power port atom III for $30/list.  It a convenience product.  If you don't like the price or the charring power get the regular MagSafe charger.
    williamlondonbageljoeygregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Sorta off topic but can someone point me somewhere that can educate me on charging options for iPhone 12?  Seems that charging has gotten to be overly complicated and I just want to understand what accessories maximize or limit charging before purchasing.  Just want to make sure I make an educated purchase when and if I upgrade my current charging options.  I'm pretty tech savvy but damn charging profiles optimized for various devices is complicated.  Thanks in advance! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    pfarfour said:
    Sorta off topic but can someone point me somewhere that can educate me on charging options for iPhone 12?  Seems that charging has gotten to be overly complicated and I just want to understand what accessories maximize or limit charging before purchasing.  Just want to make sure I make an educated purchase when and if I upgrade my current charging options.  I'm pretty tech savvy but damn charging profiles optimized for various devices is complicated.  Thanks in advance! 
    The only confusion that people are claiming is with MagSafe charger and soon with the MagSafe duo charger. 

In Summary: 

Apple 20W brick will give you 15W of charging on MagSafe charger

Apple 20W brick will give you 11W of charging on MagSafe Duo Charger

Apple 30W brick will give you 14W of charging on MagSafe Duo Charger

Your PD wired charging options haven’t changed. 
    bageljoeygregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Apple_Bar said:
    pfarfour said:
    The only confusion that people are claiming is with MagSafe charger and soon with the MagSafe duo charger. 

In Summary: 

Thank you for the reply.  I guess my confusion is I have no usb-c bricks in my house and four new iPhone 12s.  I don't want to reward Apple by buying their 20w brick but from what I think I understand is the other brands may not provide for maximum output if I eventually buy a MagSafe charging cable. Maybe this will become clearer as more brands begin selling accessories designed for the 12.  
  • Reply 9 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    pfarfour said:
    Apple_Bar said:
    pfarfour said:

In Summary: 

Thank you for the reply.  I guess my confusion is I have no usb-c bricks in my house and four new iPhone 12s.  I don't want to reward Apple by buying their 20w brick but from what I think I understand is the other brands may not provide for maximum output if I eventually buy a MagSafe charging cable. Maybe this will become clearer as more brands begin selling accessories designed for the 12.  

You can also use any other previous USB A iPhone brick with a Lightning cable. Just like you always did.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    I only travel once a year, coughing out for magsafe dou is not convenient in my wallet. I just wanted to clean up the cables/charger clutter in my family room so i find it practical the belkin or mophie 3-1 q1 wireless charger for overnight charging....which are MFI certified. Just my needs at this time and hopefully will be seeing more products as years goes by.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Japhey said:
    As predicted last week. 
    You sir, obviously hate the planet, and want to make ants in 2% of the islands in Indonesia unhappy, at least for 4.3 seconds.

Since I can't defend this, I'll just attack you.

(please please please nooooo.....)
    ok...
    /sarc
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    svanstrom said:
    I’m not one to often invoke the holiness Steve Jobs himself, but… He absolutely would have blown a fuse if he’d seen this confusing mess Apple has created, in about a month, with different chargers and standards (all of it invisible to the average user).
    Well, that's why his holiness wouldn't complain: it's invisible to the average user.

Most folk will not actually care how fast this thing charges as long as it can get the job done in a few hours.

What they will care about, I think, is the price. That is very expensive, IMO.

williamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 18
    pfarfour said:
    Apple_Bar said:
    pfarfour said:

In Summary: 

I see but keep in mind that $19 for a 20W power brick is very reasonable with the advantage that if in the future you decide to buy the MagSafe cable you will be covered. If you compare it with Anker atom 20W currently at $17 on Amazon for just $2 more you can have the Apple branded and the only (currently) that will give you the 15W on MagSafe charging cable.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Japhey said:
    As predicted last week. 
    Initially I thought this product looked pretty good. But, with all these compromised charging speeds and these prices without blocks… It’s looking more and  more like this is not something I want to get invested in.

You can’t hold your phone and charge either with this product . . . well maybe you can but it would most likely be a very heavy and bulk hold. 

At first glance it looks like a nice little travel package but you’d still need to carry a cable and a charging block along with this thick foldable charger.

So it really isn’t that portable. 

What I suggest is that if you’re  looking for portability… Pick up the Apple Watch magnetic charger dock… It comes with a super long cable and with this you could fold up and separate from the cord. $79. 

Then get a dual Anker charger for $14 

Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock

There’s also a cheap Belkin alternative that uses your Apple Watch included mag Charger but you can’t separate it from the disc. 

Belkin Travel Stand Charger for Apple Watch Series 4, 3, 2, 1, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072KS25ZB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_yqvTFbSXAS05D

Sure you would still need a cable and a charging block for your iPhone… But you already have those and if you bought this duo charger, you would still need a cable and a charging block to travel with it so you’re not really add any more to your travel accessories.  

edited November 2020 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I just bought the Apple USB-C brick, two USB-C cables (third party) and a power bank with USB-C/PD, and wireless (up to 10W for wireless).   Like $30.  This still cost me like $60 or more.  Apple should include the damn USB-C charging brick in a $1300 phone for Christ's sake.  I don't mind maybe shelling out another $40 for the MagSafe, but the $19 brick?  Come on.  At least include it WITH the MagSafe.  What a mess.  I predicted this reaction when the rumors were floated regarding removing earbuds and the charger.  People don't care about the earbuds.  The charger is just absurd.  
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 16 of 18
    mtashiro said:
    I take a different view on this...  I see this products use case as something you use on travel.  11W charging is plenty when all you would do is put it on the charger at night and it would be charged in the morning.  And if yo want the higher rate buy a 3rd party power adapter like the 60W Anker power port atom III for $30/list.  It a convenience product.  If you don't like the price or the charring power get the regular MagSafe charger.
    It's not marketed as a travel accessory, though; and personally, when I travel is when I most often find myself in need of a very quick top up of a device.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 18
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    I want charging speed. There is no such thing as charging overnight -- I wear the watch all the time except for charging in the morning during shower and breakfast. 

Induction charging simply is too slow and too wasteful of energy. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 18
    larryjw said:
    I want charging speed. There is no such thing as charging overnight -- I wear the watch all the time except for charging in the morning during shower and breakfast. 

Induction charging simply is too slow and too wasteful of energy. 
    And no combination of charging pad or charging brick will make your watch charge faster.  The faster charging/higher output is only for iPhones.
    svanstromwilliamlondonwatto_cobra