HomePod mini power cable is not removable, teardown reveals

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
The USB-C power cable on the new HomePod mini is not removable despite initial speculation that it could be, a home teardown of the device revealed.

Credit: ouimetnick/MacRumors
Credit: ouimetnick/MacRumors

Although technically not meant to be removed, the power cable on the original HomePod could be detached and reattached with a bit of force. That's not the case on the device's smaller counterpart.

On Tuesday, MacRumors forum member ouimetnick published a home teardown of the new HomePod mini, which contained the tidbit about its power cable.

"The power cord is NOT replaceable," ouimetnick wrote in the forum post. "DO NOT pull as it won't come out."

Compared to the previous version, disassembling the HomePod mini is different and requires users to get through the mesh before removing the top piece of the device.

The teardown also shows off the built-in Apple S5 chip, which appears to be on its own "daughter" printed circuit board that is soldered to the primary board. Additionally, the markings on the NAND flash storage aren't readable.

Apple's $99 HomePod mini became available to preorder on Nov. 6, and should be shipping out to initial customers this week.

Stay on top of all Apple news right from your HomePod or HomePod mini. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider Daily," and you'll get a fast update direct from the AppleInsider team.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Wow, this was a shocker, in other news, water is wet...
    williamlondonStrangeDaysrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Wrong. It's absolutely removable.

It's just not able to be (easily? seamlessly?) reconnected. And removing it will most likely cause permanent damage to the unit.

But you CAN remove it. Once.
    williamlondontrustnoone00mobirdrazorpitrandominternetpersonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    While I would prefer removable, this is no different than every other CE device in the house.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Wrong. It's absolutely removable.

It's just not able to be (easily? seamlessly?) reconnected. And removing it will most likely cause permanent damage to the unit.

But you CAN remove it. Once.
    Damn!  You beat me to it!  :-)
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    As someone who intends to build furniture accommodating the HomePod Mini, I would appreciate both a removable cable and a bottom entry connector option. Now, if I were an economist, I'd simply have to wait for this to be instantiated due to the demand that I have just created...  B)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    While I would prefer removable, this is no different than every other CE device in the house.  
    Companies do this to stop folk plugging in any LTD connector they find lying around the house then suing the company when the device goes up in flames. 

Oh hang on.  It’s just a USB-C socket at the other end? No idea then. Seems a bit daft 
    edited November 2020 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    This was a deal breaker for me. Can't believe Apple intentionally missed out of the portable speaker market.

Guess I'll be keeping my crappy knockoff HomePod.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Anyone else think this “teardown” only happened because the guy was expecting to be able to plug the power cord back in, yanked it out and then realized he had ruined his HomePod mini?

It would be nice to have the option of different length power cords, though, and I really like @iqatedo’s idea of a connector on the bottom. That would be great for hiding the cord in shelving and giving a seamless look.
    iqatedorandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    If HomePod mini requires only 20W adapter, why cable at all? Why it cannot be powered with MagSafe - just put it on and it’s on power :)
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    riverko said:
    If HomePod mini requires only 20W adapter, why cable at all? Why it cannot be powered with MagSafe - just put it on and it’s on power :)
    At 20W this thing is easily capable of being a PoE device.  No more WiFi issues and no need to use an extension cord if the included cord is too short.

Another excellent reason for having an ethernet port (and a removable cord).
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    What a waste of a perfectly serviceable ipod mini 
    watto_cobra