Second season of Apple TV+ exclusive 'For All Mankind' to debut in February

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2020
The second season of Apple TV+ hit "For All Mankind" will begin streaming on Feb. 19, 2021, the company announced on Thursday.

For All Mankind

Apple revealed the upcoming air date in a post to the official "For All Mankind" Twitter account, telling fans to "prepare for the next era."

After being sidelined by the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, production of the alternate history drama resumed in August.

According to a report from Deadline, shooting of all but two episodes blocked for the second season wrapped before production was halted.

"For All Mankind" debuted last year as a tentpole show in the Apple TV+ launch slate. It was also one of the first series to get renewed for a second season, with Apple giving the green light before Apple TV+ debuted in November 2019.

The series tells the tale of America's space program in an alternate reality that sees the Soviet Union win the space race. Created by Ronald D. Moore, Matt Wolpert and Ben Nedivi, the show stars Joel Kinnaman, Michael Dorman, Sarah Jones, Shantel VanSanten, Wrenn Schmidt and Jodi Balfour.

The upcoming season appears to take place about a decade after the events of the first season. With the Cold War raging, the moon becomes a flashpoint for military hostilities.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Stoked.  Great show.  
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I want it now. 
    I don’t watch a lot of Apple TV. And this is the only one that I love the most. 
    sdw2001Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    If you liked season one, make sure you go back and watch the last episode now, because you may have missed the post-credit scene which gives a big hint/teaser for season two. I missed it myself and caught it only accidentally after the second watching. I won't spoil it here.

The upcoming season will probably be a little more "Flash Gordon" and less "The Right Stuff."

If I was writing this show, I would add an Easter Egg for Foundation. Technically these two shows are in the same "universe" and it's possible to add something that could be spotted in both shows, since a small part of Foundation Series happens on Earth's Moon. Uh-oh, I hope I didn't spoil anything.

Upon reflection, I think it's obvious to me that the writers of "For All Mankind" need to make the show "compatible" with "Foundation" which could result in some plot lines in this series that lead to the plot lines in Foundation. Season 2 appears to begin in 1983. However in the Foundation Universe, one of the first characters to appear on earth occurs in the 1990s, so we may not see signs of Foundation until Season 3. In the 2004 Will Smith movie, "I Robot," there was a character named Lawrence Robertson who is part of the general Foundation universe. But Apple doesn't own that movie so it's likely to be unreferenced. But I'm predicting that we will see a character named Lawrence Robertson either in Season 2 or Season 3, if the writers have half a brain.
    edited November 2020 Japheyviclauyycmbenz1962Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    In fact, after it's clear that these two shows are in the same universe, this show should be renamed: "Foundation: For all Mankind." Just like "Star Wars" was renamed to "Star Wars, Episode 4: A New Hope" after retconning.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    No, just no, Mr 2013. Do not cheapen Foundation’s legacy that way.

interesting timing on the release of series 2. Right about free subscriptions start running out.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Apple could always amortise the cost of the moon sets with some other moon stories.

eg
    • Heinlein’s The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (libertarian themes with an AI that rather than the standard Hollywood meme of trying to destroy mankind, is actually helpful). Also famous geek SF memes and acronyms abound. Even the name is cool.
    • The Aristillus series of books by Travis Corcoran are probably an updated version of The Moon is a Harsh a Mistress in many ways, but possibly cooler if possible. The technology in particular is more up to date, and it has genetically uplifted dogs!
    • Stark’s War by John G. Hemry is military Sci Fi which is basically a War of Independence analogy with a bit of NCO good, Officer bad stuff.
    Actually when I think about it, most moon colonisation stories tend to be about cutting the cord with earth. I would not be surprised if the russkies and the Americans on the moon end up telling the earth governments to get stuffed in For All Mankind too.
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 7 of 9
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

The series tells the tale of America's space program in an alternate reality that sees the Soviet Union win the space race.
    Don't you mean the race to the moon because last I remember the Russians did indeed win the space race? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9

The series tells the tale of America's space program in an alternate reality that sees the Soviet Union win the space race.
    Don't you mean the race to the moon because last I remember the Russians did indeed win the space race? 
    Most people would be surprised to learn that one American nuke test before Sputnik shot an iron manhole cover into the sky so fast and so far that they are still trying to figure out if that iron covering made it all the way to space or not. If it made it, then the Americans actually won the space race. http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/Brownlee.html <--
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Disney already has Star Wars, but Apple now has Foundation, which, if handled correctly, could become a property as valuable as Star Wars. And Disney can't sue Apple because Foundation came before Star Wars. In fact Star Wars was loosely based on Foundation but Isaac Asimov decided not to sue George Lucas over it.
    watto_cobra