Apple releases Leather Sleeve with MagSafe for all iPhone 12 models

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2020
Apple on Friday quietly released the hotly anticipated Leather Sleeve with MagSafe support for all new iPhone 12 models, completing the rollout of a line of MagSafe accessories announced in October.

iPhone 12 Leather Sleeve

Apple unveiled the Leather Sleeve during last month's iPhone event and promised to launch the accessory before year's end.

Priced at $129 for all models, the case is made from soft, "specially tanned and finished European leather" that develops a natural patina over time. The sleeve is designed to fit like a glove over iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Max, offering protection of scratches and drops. Inside is a slot for cards, while the accompanying strap is removable.

When inserted, iPhone 12 displays the time through a cutout in the case, with the digital clock's font color matching that of the sleeve. It's a nice touch enabled by MagSafe's NFC capabilities.

A MagSafe accessory, Apple's Leather Sleeve enables accurate positioning of the MagSafe charging puck for efficient wireless charging. Like the company's other leather case designs, constant use of MagSafe accessories will result in "slight imprints," Apple says.

The Leather Sleeve with MagSafe is offered in four colors -- Baltic Blue, Pink Citrus, Saddle Brown and (Product)RED -- and is available for order from the online Apple Store. Current ship times are set at Dec. 16 to Dec. 23 with free service or as early as Dec. 15 with express shipping.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    good job, Apple.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 14
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Is this as protective as Apple’s silicone case or Otterbox’s Aneu case? 
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 3 of 14
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    That's just about the fugliest case ever developed for an iPhone, and coming from Apple :smile:

ANTICIPATION MOUNTS
    Does anyone here or know someone that felt this way?:
    "the hotly anticipated Leather Sleeve".

STOP THE PRESSES!!
    Earth shattering innovative design by Apple -
    "When inserted, iPhone 12 displays the time through a cutout in the case, with the digital clock's font color matching that of the sleeve".
    OH, WOW!!

ANOTHER GROUND BREAKING FEATURE "specially tanned and finished European leather" that develops a natural patina over time".

Priced at $129.00, which is about $80.00 too much.

This thing looks like something my daughter and her friends would have had when they were around 8 years old...In their club house...

If you want a beautifully designed leather iPhone case check out Vaja, they have probably the finest selection of leather phone cases anywhere.

edited November 2020 williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Very girly
  • Reply 5 of 14
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Not a fan, of the look and definitely not of the price, but could be fun for many. 
  • Reply 6 of 14
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    mobird said:
    That's just about the fugliest case ever developed for an iPhone, and coming from Apple :smile:

ANTICIPATION MOUNTS

STOP THE PRESSES!!
    "When inserted, iPhone 12 displays the time through a cutout in the case, with the digital clock's font color matching that of the sleeve".
    OH, WOW!!

ANOTHER GROUND BREAKING FEATURE "specially tanned and finished European leather" that develops a natural patina over time".

This thing looks like something my daughter and her friends would have had when they were around 8 years old...In their club house...

If you want a beautifully designed leather iPhone case check out Vaja, they have probably the finest selection of leather phone cases anywhere.

So, are you getting one?
    randominternetpersonmacgui
  • Reply 7 of 14
    aderutter said:
    Very girly
    Are you implying that's somehow a negative? This personally does not appeal to me, but I know my wife would snatch this up in an instant, except for the price. There is a giant market for phone holders that essentially work the same way as a clutch, so there's no reason to think this won't end up being a relatively popular product.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 8 of 14
    mobird said:

Yikes, that is one massive collection of fugly. 

But you know what I dislike the most with these little third-party wannabes? The in-your-face ugly-ass logos covering Apple products that they stick in your face. No, thanks. 
    urahara
  • Reply 9 of 14
    mobird said:

ANTICIPATION MOUNTS

STOP THE PRESSES!!
    OH, WOW!!

mobrid user: LET ME BOST SOME BS!!
    ...mobrid user posts some BS.

And Vaja cases cost $149,00. Which by your logic is $100.00 too much.

And Vaja's design is something a person with style would never buy. 

(See what I did there? ;)).
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 10 of 14

mobird said:

Yikes, that is one massive collection of fugly. 

But you know what I dislike the most with these little third-party wannabes? The in-your-face ugly-ass logos covering Apple products that they stick in your face. No, thanks. 
    Look at Vaja's face masks - such a beautiful product (/s):
    https://row.vajacases.com/products/vaja-mask-2

• Reply 11 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Haha! I always found Vaja overpriced and over designed.  That face mask is very Hannibal. Also good for S&M parties (at least I imagine so).

I had a Sena sleeve on my iPhone 3GS. I would have to say it was pretty good, although I think was called a “pouch”. As I recall it was much less than half the price of this but doesn’t have the MagSafe feature or the little trick with the clock. It was extremely tight to start with but got more supple and easy to remove over time. It didn’t really take up extra space in my pocket compared with just the phone.
    Mrs entropy once had a Toffee leather sleeve on her iPhone 5 but I don’t think they make them anymore and Mrs entropy prefers a wallet.

I don’t use a case these days and don’t plan to with my 12 mini.  And on modern iPhones, I suspect the camera bump would be a bit of a pain with a leather sleeve. I mean, look at the picture! Maybe it’s designed for people who mainly keep their iPhone in a bag and use their Apple Watch and CarPlay because with that camera bump you won’t be getting the iPhone out of that sleeve in a hurry until it is well and truly worn in.
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 12 of 14
    I bet it looks better in person.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    Apple leather products are the best crafted I've seen. But they're far to expensive for my taste.

Sadly, while a few third-party leather products are decently made and arguably a better value, they still don't come close to Apple kit.

For some people, OK is good enough. I balk at paying Apple $$ for some of their products. I looked at every band maker/retailer for a leather watchband for my Stainless Watch, but none were equal to Apple's leather band.

Same with a leather case for the iPad mini 2. Very nicely  made. There were a lot of third-party offerings that were cheaper, but just didn't have the fit and finish of the Apple case. So I don't mind paying more for their kit, but I do mind paying a lot more.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    pslicepslice Posts: 150member
    The thing I would like to see is what it looks like on the iPhones. These photos don’t tell me enough to spend $129.  Maybe AI will eventually have a review with photos and/or video.