Apple updates Windows Migration Assistant for macOS Big Sur

Posted:
in macOS edited November 2020
Apple has released an update for its Windows Migration Assistant, enabling the tool to help users transfer from a Windows PC to a Mac that's running macOS Big Sur.

The new update, released overnight on Friday, brings with it support for macOS Big Sur, Apple's latest version of its Mac operating system. Version 2.3.0.0, spotted by iMore, continues to function with no major changes to how it works, except it is fully compatible with Big Sur.

The Windows Migration Assistant is software by Apple that helps with software migration from Windows-based systems to macOS. This includes the transferring of contacts, calendars, email accounts, music, pictures, movies, and other files from the PC to the Mac.

Once installed on the PC, the tool will automatically run, and can be used in conjunction with the Setup Assistant on a new Mac or the Migration Assistant in the Mac's Utilities folder. Once a transfer has been decided upon, users have to enter their administrator name and password, select their PC from an available list, check passcodes on both the Windows and Mac displays, select files and data to transfer, and then start the migration itself.

Apple actually has four versions of the Windows Migration Assistant available to download, with the latest version just covering macOS Big Sur. The previous version was compatible with macOS Mojave and macOS Catalina, the one before dealt with macOS Sierra and High Sierra, and a fourth works for OS X El Capitan and earlier releases.

The latest Windows Migration Assistant is compatible with PCs running Windows 7 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I just love Mac OS Bug Sur
    Arszykuduwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    How about fixing List view in Mail on Big Sur. It’s completed messed up and inefficient with all the white space. Nobody has a touchscreen Mac where this would be useful.
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 3 of 8
    cpsro said:
    How about fixing List view in Mail on Big Sur. It’s completed messed up and inefficient with all the white space. Nobody has a touchscreen Mac where this would be useful.
    Didn't you know that extra white space is currently 'de-rigeur' with app designers. Blame MS. They started it and it has gradually spread everywhere (like a certain Virus).

I hate it. Back in the day, I'd be hauled over the coals if I submitted a UI with all that blank space.
    {Blank Space is a character in one of my short stories otherwise it is 'a waste of space'}
  • Reply 4 of 8
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    cpsro said:
    Didn't you know that extra white space is currently 'de-rigeur' with app designers. Blame MS. They started it and it has gradually spread everywhere (like a certain Virus).
    Thanks, I didn’t know. It seems like the only purpose is for touch UI, which Windows has had for years... and Apple Macs will soon. It truly sucks, though, and is a huge FU from Apple to current Mac owners, even if Apple didn’t recognize it. If not fixed (as in made optional), I may never upgrade my Mac Pro to Big Sur. I would add that the toolbar icons also suck, as they are not quickly discernible from each other. For anyone who spends a good portion of their day in Mail, this is a huge loss of efficiency and potential source of mistakes.
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    cpsro said:

I hate it. Back in the day, I'd be hauled over the coals if I submitted a UI with all that blank space.
    {Blank Space is a character in one of my short stories otherwise it is 'a waste of space'}

It's not Microsoft's fault to be honest. You need to direct your rage at the visually-impaired and folk who have mobility problems. They're part of the reason why there's so much white space on websites these days. It makes it easier to visually separate out elements and hit targets on screen if your hands aren't as steady as you'd like.

The other reason, I suspect, is that it makes it much easier to share UIs from mobile platforms (but that's just me being cynical).
    kuduwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

spice-boy said:
    I wasn't sure at first, but it's definitely growing on me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    Rayz2016 said:

spice-boy said:
    I wasn't sure at first, but it's definitely growing on me.
    It’s growing on me also, although I wish they had not removed the ability to make custom key shortcuts for Finder. And it doesn’t seem that you can add other apps to the shortcut side bar like you used to. You’re stuck with Apple’s pre-defined categories. For now at least. Sometimes they add features like that back in. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Does the tool support transfers from macOS to Linux based distributions (e.g. Ubuntu or something similar) too or do you guys know a different program that is effective for this task? I need to migrate away for reasons beyond my control.
    Preferable would be a solution without using any cloud.

Thank you in advance!
    edited November 2020 watto_cobra