Apple security chief Thomas Moyer indicted in concealed firearm permit bribery case

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
A grand jury has issued two indictments charging Apple's head of global security and several other individuals with bribery to obtain concealed weapon permits.

Credit: WikiCommons
Credit: WikiCommons

According to the Santa Clara County District Attorney's Office, Apple Chief Security Officer Thomas Moyer and insurance broker Harpreet Chadha were accused of offering bribes to Santa Clara Undersheriff Rick Sung and Captain James Jensen to receive concealed firearm (CCW) permits.

A two-year investigation by the DA's office found that Undersheriff Sung held up issuing CCW licenses until Moyer and Chadha "gave something of value." In one instance, Captain Jensen aided in the scheme.

"Undersheriff Sung and Captain Jensen treated CCW licenses as commodities and found willing buyers," said District Attorney Jeff Rosen. "Bribe seekers should be reported to the District Attorney's Office, not rewarded with compliance."

In the case of four separate firearm permits withheld from Apple employees, Undersheriff Sung and Captain Jensen reportedly managed to get Moyer to promise that Apple would donate 200 iPads, worth about $70,000, to the Sheriff's Office. Sung and Moyer scrapped the deal at the last minute when they learned that the District Attorney executed a search warrant seizing CCW records from the sheriff's office.

Undersheriff Sung also extracted from Chadha, the insurance broker, a "promise of $6,000 worth of luxury box seat tickets to a San Jose Sharks hockey game."

According to Moyer's LinkedIn page, his responsibilities at Apple include "strategic management of Apple's corporate and retail security, crisis management, executive protection, investigations and new product secrecy." Prior to his tenure at the Cupertino tech giant, Moyer previously served as an associate at a law firm and as an intelligence analyst for the U.S. Navy.

"We expect all of our employees to conduct themselves with integrity. After learning of the allegations, we conducted a thorough internal investigation and found no wrongdoing," an Apple spokesperson said in a statement to CNBC.

The four defendants will be arraigned on Jan. 11, 2021 at the Hall of Justice in San Jose, California. If convicted, they may receive prison time.

"Tom Moyer is innocent of the charges filed against him. He did nothing wrong and has acted with the highest integrity throughout his career. We have no doubt that he will be acquitted at trial," Ed Swanson, Moyer's attorney, said in a statement to AppleInsider.

The Morgan Hill Times reports that the two-year investigation into corruption and bribery at the Santa Clara Sheriff's Office is ongoing, and more indictments may be issued. Previously, officials related to a Facebook security contracting company pleaded guilty in the case.

Earlier in the year, Jensen was also among several people indicted on felony bribery and conspiracy charges in a scheme related to Santa Clara Sheriff Laurie Smith's re-election in 2018, CBS reported. Sheriff Smith has not been charged with a crime.

In California, it is illegal to carry a concealed firearm without a CCW license that can cost between $200 and $400. Applicants for CCWs must show "good cause" and moral character. Local sheriffs have broad discretion in determining who gets the permits.

Update 10:00 PM ET, November 24: Added statement from Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    “ Jensen reportedly managed to get Moyer to promise that Apple would donate 200 iPads, worth about $70,000, to the Sheriff's Office. Undersheriff sung also extracted from Chadha, the insurance broker, a "promise of $6,000 worth of luxury box seat tickets to a San Jose Sharks hockey game."

In California, it is illegal to carry a concealed firearm without a CCW license that can cost between $200 and $400.

So these 2 CLOWNS (Moyer & Chadha) risked their careers and wanted to avoid paying between $200 & $400 to legitimately get their CCW legally?  They should be imprisioned for pure greed and stupidity.

What a pair of Morons!

gregoriusmlkruppSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 83
    Unbelievable, happens to the best of them I suppose. Wouldn’t it have been cheaper and safer to just get a permit???
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 3 of 83
    nikon1 said:
    “ Jensen reportedly managed to get Moyer to promise that Apple would donate 200 iPads, worth about $70,000, to the Sheriff's Office. Undersheriff sung also extracted from Chadha, the insurance broker, a "promise of $6,000 worth of luxury box seat tickets to a San Jose Sharks hockey game."

In California, it is illegal to carry a concealed firearm without a CCW license that can cost between $200 and $400.

So these 2 CLOWNS (Moyer & Chadha) risked their careers and wanted to avoid paying between $200 & $400 to legitimately get their CCW legally?  They should be imprisioned for pure greed and stupidity.

What a pair of Morons!

The issue isn't that they wanted to avoid the $200-$400 (it's actually $400+, when I lived in California I had one). The issue is that even if you pay the money, there is almost no chance you'll get one, since the legislature left it up to the Sheriff and Chief of Police to decide who does or doesn't get one. Nearly every other state is "shall issue"...meaning, if you are a law-abiding citizen, the government can't deny you a CCW. 

California is "may issue", which effectively means no one gets one. 
    marklarklongpathmaltzmrstepronnScot1fahlmanviclauyyccornchiprazorpit
  • Reply 4 of 83
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    marsorry said:
    Unbelievable, happens to the best of them I suppose. Wouldn’t it have been cheaper and safer to just get a permit???
    I'd say it is highly debatable wether these fools are anywhere near 'the best of them'. It would have been cheaper and safer unless there is something more to this story. The obvious thing would just to be not to carry at all. This need to carry deadly weapons around would be totally juvenile had it not been so incredibly dangerous.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 83
    marsorry said:
    They weren't trying to avoid the fees. California is a "may issue" state. The legislature left it up to the local Sheriff or Chief of Police to decide who does or doesn't get one. The majority of Californians are denied this basic right that the majority of the rest of the country enjoy. 

When I had mine, I paid nearly $500 (to cover the 16-hour class, range time, and the permit fees). I paid $250 every other year to renew. In WA state, I paid $50 for a 5-year permit. And unless you have a criminal record, you cannot be denied a permit. 
    marklarklongpathJWSCmaltzmrstepronnmobirdfahlmancornchiprandominternetperson
  • Reply 6 of 83
    marsorry said:
    You completely misunderstood. No, it wouldn’t be cheaper and safer “just to get a permit”. They were trying to get a permit; but such is the case for all “may issue” states, that it is entirely up to the whim of one or more officials, no matter how perfectly you dot your I’s and cross your T’s. I can only assume you don’t have a CCW and have zero concept of what’s involved, especially in a state like California with decades of racist gun control laws (look up the Mulford Act). Your statement suggests that you honestly don’t understand that applying for the permit you said he should have applied for is what was happening when the deputy and sheriff looked for extras. 
    tylersdadmaltzronnfahlmanchristophbjas99jony0
  • Reply 7 of 83
    nikon1 said:

What a pair of Morons!

No, your comprehension of the situation is the lacking piece. They weren’t trying to skirt fees. Approval of application for a CCW is entirely at the whim of the official. It’s an inherently racist and classist process where even if you have money, a spotless record, have exemplary relevant skills, etc., you can still be turned down, without cause. I can only presume you don’t have a CCW and have no concept of the difference between a shall issue and a may issue state.
    tylersdadmobirdmaltzmrstepronnfahlmancornchiprazorpitjas99jony0
  • Reply 8 of 83
    Lots of unanswered questions. Did he really need a CCW? If so, why didn’t corporate use their influence into getting him one, unless it wasn’t for his job and was personal. 

I am amused that San Jose has a “Hall of Justice” and reading that made me miss Ted Knight and his narration of the Superfriends cartoon. 
  • Reply 9 of 83
    nikon1 said:

What a pair of Morons!

Reading comprehension is an amazing thing. For example it will let you understand that they weren’t trying to avoid the fees. The Sheriff wasn’t issuing CCW regardless if the fee was paid or not unless he got something in return. If I was you I will re-read the article again.  
    longpathronntylersdadJWSCchasmfahlmanchristophbrandominternetpersonBobbypduejas99
  • Reply 10 of 83
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    nikon1 said:

What a pair of Morons!
    You're not wrong to think it was stupid to do this to avoid a 200-400 fee, but the 'may issue' nature of this in California is the problem.  As others also point out, law-abiding citizens have a low chance of actually getting a permit issued since it's at the discretion of the Sheriff, and many don't feel like anyone deserves it... Which is, as a bonus, ripe for abuse.  I guess 'protecting Tim Cook' isn't good enough, but they could have just carried illegally like any actual criminal would.  Ludicrous - and it's probably coming to a state near you.
    longpathchristophbcornchip
  • Reply 11 of 83
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    Lots of unanswered questions. Did he really need a CCW? If so, why didn’t corporate use their influence into getting him one, unless it wasn’t for his job and was personal. 

I am amused that San Jose has a “Hall of Justice” and reading that made me miss Ted Knight and his narration of the Superfriends cartoon. 
    It's called the Constitution - 2nd Amendment. Nowhere does it state that you have to have a reason to purchase a gun.

Glad I live in a state that upholds the 2nd Amendment instead of trampling on it.
    edited November 2020 mrsteptylersdadfahlmanchristophbcornchipbeowulfschmidtlongpath
  • Reply 12 of 83
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    nikon1 said:

What a pair of Morons!
    Looks like you're the real moron for not understanding the situation...

LOL...
    ronntylersdadchasmfahlmanomar moralescornchipBobbypduejas99longpathjony0
  • Reply 13 of 83

There are no unanswered questions. When we leave decisions such as who does or doesn't need a CCW up to human beings, it makes the decisions arbitrary. California law states you must have "good cause" to obtain a permit. No place in the law does it define what "good cause" is. It's just not there. So good cause will depend upon the issuing authority. These decisions should not be left up to humans. Rather, objective criteria should be used to determine who should or shouldn't obtain a permit. This is called shall issue. In the absence of criminal activity on the part of the applicant, a permit shall be issued. 

This is what the vast majority of other states have done. Florida has been "shall issue" since the early 90's. There were claims that there would be blood in the streets. That hasn't happened in Florida or any other state that is shall issue. 
    mobirdcornchiprazorpitBobbypduelongpath
  • Reply 14 of 83
    Is the Apple Chief Security Officer Thomas Moyer still employed at Apple?
  • Reply 15 of 83
    iPads don't magically appear out of nowhere. More than just one person had to have been involved at Apple. Will Thomas Moyer name names in in exchange for a lighter sentence?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 16 of 83
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    nikon1 said:

What a pair of Morons!

The article doesn't state that the reason for the scheme was to avoid paying $400. There are other requirements to obtaining a permit aside from paying a fee. 

And just a tip. If you're going to accuse someone of being a moron, check your spelling and grammar. 
    chasmronnfahlmanBobbypduejas99
  • Reply 17 of 83

How are the answers to these questions relevant to their guilt or innocence?  If they're not relevant, then they're not "unanswered."  
  • Reply 18 of 83

mobird said:
    Why wouldn't he be?  Did he steal something from Apple?  Jerk off in his office? Not show up for work?   There's nothing here to suggest he committed any misconduct while in the scope of his employment. 
  • Reply 19 of 83
    flydog said:

mobird said:
    Why wouldn't he be?  Did he steal something from Apple?  Jerk off in his office? Not show up for work?   There's nothing here to suggest he committed any misconduct while in the scope of his employment. 
    He attempted to bribe a public official. I can't think of a single company that would allow someone to stay on their roster of employees after that. 
  • Reply 20 of 83
    tylersdad said:
    flydog said:

mobird said:
    He attempted to bribe a public official. I can't think of a single company that would allow someone to stay on their roster of employees after that. 
    Thank you.
    tylersdaddewme