Apple's iPhone 12 Pro Max Review: A lot of smartphone, and not for everybody

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    Apple is also employing its toughened Ceramic Shield glass to the front and back [emphasis added]
    Is this definitely correct? Yours is the first review I’ve seen that states this. I was under the impression that only the front glass had the Ceramic Shield and that the back glass is an older generation of Gorilla Glass.
    This is what we've been told, but other than that, we have no way to confirm it independently.

The front and back glasses are mounted on different substrates. The front is laminate, with that OLED display. The rear is effectively glued to the metal back of the phone. That in itself changes the behavior of the glass under different stressors.
    OK, thanks for the reply. Did they say if this is specific to the Pro Max? Because not only have I not seen anyone else say the back glass is Ceramic Shield on the Pro Max, I've seen other reviews (for non-pro models) that specifically mention that the back glass is definitely not Ceramic Shield. Perhaps you could get back to Apple on this for clarification? Much appreciated.
    Sure can. I'm off the clock at the moment, but will make a call in the morning.
    Great, thanks. Here’s an article that states that the back glass on the non-max 12s is not Ceramic Shield and is the same glass as used in the 11: https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/results-are-in-iphone-12-scratch-drop-test-ceramic-shield-as-tough-as-it-sounds/
    philboogie
  • Reply 22 of 35
    I don't have the body for skinny jeans, so I never have experienced any difficulties in putting my iPhones in my pocket since the 6 Plus. I've always had them in my front pocket without issues. 

I do agree with the opinion that the 12 Pro Max is too much phone. I have it and I really don't think I am doing justice to what the phone is capable of, either in terms of processing, or in terms of photography/ videography. However, I wouldn't trade it for anything else, except for the next one!
    urdamanwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,918administrator
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    mr. h said:
    Apple is also employing its toughened Ceramic Shield glass to the front and back [emphasis added]
    Is this definitely correct? Yours is the first review I’ve seen that states this. I was under the impression that only the front glass had the Ceramic Shield and that the back glass is an older generation of Gorilla Glass.
    This is what we've been told, but other than that, we have no way to confirm it independently.

The front and back glasses are mounted on different substrates. The front is laminate, with that OLED display. The rear is effectively glued to the metal back of the phone. That in itself changes the behavior of the glass under different stressors.
    OK, thanks for the reply. Did they say if this is specific to the Pro Max? Because not only have I not seen anyone else say the back glass is Ceramic Shield on the Pro Max, I've seen other reviews (for non-pro models) that specifically mention that the back glass is definitely not Ceramic Shield. Perhaps you could get back to Apple on this for clarification? Much appreciated.
    Sure can. I'm off the clock at the moment, but will make a call in the morning.
    Great, thanks. Here’s an article that states that the back glass on the non-max 12s is not Ceramic Shield and is the same glass as used in the 11: https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/results-are-in-iphone-12-scratch-drop-test-ceramic-shield-as-tough-as-it-sounds/
    We do already know that the iPhone 12 mini, and iPhone 12 are Gorilla Glass of some sort. Call is out, no response as of yet.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,058member
    charlesn said:
    charlesn said:
    Thanks for the most inane review to date on the 12 Pro Max. Let's start with the headline, shall we? "Not for everybody." Well, Captain Obvious, if Apple made an iPhone that WAS for everybody, we wouldn't need five models, would we? The whole reason for Apple's multiple model strategy is that there is no one, two or even three iPhones that will please everybody, hence we have five... and even then, there's still no iPhone for the bargain Android crowd, mainly because Apple rightly sees no profit in that market. Bottom line: reviewing any particular iPhone model in terms of its mass appeal makes no sense. You can only review them and rate them in terms of how well they fit the market segment for which each model was intended. 

Then there's the emphasis on the extraordinary size (at least to you) of the 12 Pro Max, which you and your clueless focus group decided (by "general consensus," lol) was "pretty good at a desk but not something you'd want to walk around with and use." Ever hear of the iPhone 11 Pro Max? The 12 Pro Max has, essentially, the same size and weight specs. To be precise about it: the 12 Pro Max is  7/10 mm THINNER, 3/10 mm wider, 2.8 mm longer and 2 grams (roughly 1/15 ounce) heavier. In fact, it's only the tiniest bit bigger and heavier than the XS Max or 8 Plus. But, you know, stupid Apple buyers--even after three years, they STILL haven't learned that you can't walk around with a phone this size and they just keep on buying them!

As virtually ever other reviewer has figured out, the iPhone 12 Pro Max... like the 11 Pro Max, XS Max and 8 Plus before it... are for buyers who WANT the biggest and best screen possible, the best battery life and--in the case of the 12 Pro Max--a significantly upgraded camera system. THAT is who the 12 Pro Max is for, not everybody, and by those parameters it's the best Max model that Apple has ever released. 
    Bolded point 1: This is absolutely not true. That may be what you want to read -- and that's fine -- but as a reminder, AppleInsider is for everybody, not just folks that bought the iPhone 12 Pro Max already, such as yourself.

Bolded point 2: While you're welcome to approach your own thoughts on the iPhone 12 Pro Max any way you see fit, where did you get that I disagreed with this bolded point? I specifically addressed this point in the review. It's a great phone! It, as the headline says, is just not for everybody for the reasons that make it great for yourself and others, and folks that are making the decision on which to buy should know that.
    I understand that AI is for everybody. But no particular iPhone model is. You could literally begin and end every iPhone model review with the same line you've used for the 12 Pro Max: "Not for everybody." So why tag any model with that line when it obviously applies to all of them? "Lamborghini: Not for Everybody" Is that really a helpful headline and POV for a review, or is it just stating the obvious? 

As for where I got the idea that you disagreed with bolded point 2: when you criticize a phone as "not something you'd want to walk around with and use" -- well, considering the whole point of a "mobile" phone is to walk around and use it, you've essentially declared the phone useless for its main purpose. Not to mention being clueless about what the target market for this phone WANTS to walk around with and use. You've pretty much written a review for people who have no interest in walking around with a bigger, heavier phone--and while I totally get that pov represents more of "everybody" than not, what's the point? I'm pretty sure no one needed an AI review to tell them that the Pro Max is a bigger, heavier phone. 

It's obvious--believe me!--that the 12 Pro Max IS NOT the phone for YOU, which is fine, but it's unfortunate that you allowed this bias to permeate the whole review. 
    I'm not sure why you're taking this review -- which by definition contains my opinions -- so personally and aggressively, because my conclusions differ from yours. The only conclusion I can draw is you're looking for some kind of purchase validation, which I'm sorry you didn't get in the review text.

If I was going to "essentially declare the phone useless for its main purpose" I wouldn't mince words. When I hate something, or don't recommend something, I'm very, very clear about it. There is no kind of hate in this review, nor is there any implication that is the case. I'll have to dig it up, but years ago, prior to the iPhone 6 release, Apple commissioned a survey that said about 75% of the iPhone's use was seated, in bed, or at a desk, so just because some folks would rather not use it while walking, that doesn't mean that the device is not fit for purpose. "Not for everybody" does not mean "not for anybody."

Here's the purchase validation, in case you're looking for it: I'm glad you know enough about yourself and the ecosystem to know that the iPhone 12 Pro Max is for you, as it is a great smartphone. That's not a true statement for everybody, and arguably, it's not a true statement for the vast majority of the smartphone market.

You didn't like this review, so in all likelihood, our opinions on mobile technologies vary, which is also okay. My advice to you, because of opinions, is to find a reviewer whose interests and tastes dovetail more with your own. 

I have a question, though -- and this isn't a gotcha in any way. In a previous comment, you'd noted that the 12 Pro Max had more of a brick-like feeling in your hand than the 11 Pro Max did. Has that changed with usage? I feel like the 22 folks that I got to try the phone may feel differently with time, if your opinion has changed over that same time since you posted the comment.
    Not looking for purchase validation at all, Mike. This is my fourth max phone and I know why I buy them. With all due respect, since you're a reviewer with a public platform and prominent voice in the Apple community, what I'm looking for is INFORMED opinion, and not just opinion, in your writing. At the end of your review you conclude, "...I'm not sure who needs to buy this phone." Hmmmm... considering that the max models have been very successful for Apple dating back to the 6 Plus in 2014, wouldn't you want to inform your opinion about what has been driving all those buying decisions to carry bigger, heavier phones before writing a review of one? I guess not, and that's the problem--what's the point of your review if it's not understanding and addressing those buyers? Dismissing a max phone because it's bigger and heavier is just lazy writing. You've written a max phone review from the perspective of a person who already knows that they don't want to carry a max phone. It's like an iPhone 12 Mini review from the pov of complaint about the smaller screen. Why bother when the smaller screen and overall size of the phone is the whole POINT of the product. The 12 Mini isn't for me, but I can still appreciate it as an awesome choice for anyone who values small size as a top priority in their phone choice. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,918administrator
    charlesn said:
    charlesn said:
    charlesn said:
    Thanks for the most inane review to date on the 12 Pro Max. Let's start with the headline, shall we? "Not for everybody." Well, Captain Obvious, if Apple made an iPhone that WAS for everybody, we wouldn't need five models, would we? The whole reason for Apple's multiple model strategy is that there is no one, two or even three iPhones that will please everybody, hence we have five... and even then, there's still no iPhone for the bargain Android crowd, mainly because Apple rightly sees no profit in that market. Bottom line: reviewing any particular iPhone model in terms of its mass appeal makes no sense. You can only review them and rate them in terms of how well they fit the market segment for which each model was intended. 

Then there's the emphasis on the extraordinary size (at least to you) of the 12 Pro Max, which you and your clueless focus group decided (by "general consensus," lol) was "pretty good at a desk but not something you'd want to walk around with and use." Ever hear of the iPhone 11 Pro Max? The 12 Pro Max has, essentially, the same size and weight specs. To be precise about it: the 12 Pro Max is  7/10 mm THINNER, 3/10 mm wider, 2.8 mm longer and 2 grams (roughly 1/15 ounce) heavier. In fact, it's only the tiniest bit bigger and heavier than the XS Max or 8 Plus. But, you know, stupid Apple buyers--even after three years, they STILL haven't learned that you can't walk around with a phone this size and they just keep on buying them!

As virtually ever other reviewer has figured out, the iPhone 12 Pro Max... like the 11 Pro Max, XS Max and 8 Plus before it... are for buyers who WANT the biggest and best screen possible, the best battery life and--in the case of the 12 Pro Max--a significantly upgraded camera system. THAT is who the 12 Pro Max is for, not everybody, and by those parameters it's the best Max model that Apple has ever released. 
    Bolded point 1: This is absolutely not true. That may be what you want to read -- and that's fine -- but as a reminder, AppleInsider is for everybody, not just folks that bought the iPhone 12 Pro Max already, such as yourself.

Bolded point 2: While you're welcome to approach your own thoughts on the iPhone 12 Pro Max any way you see fit, where did you get that I disagreed with this bolded point? I specifically addressed this point in the review. It's a great phone! It, as the headline says, is just not for everybody for the reasons that make it great for yourself and others, and folks that are making the decision on which to buy should know that.
    I understand that AI is for everybody. But no particular iPhone model is. You could literally begin and end every iPhone model review with the same line you've used for the 12 Pro Max: "Not for everybody." So why tag any model with that line when it obviously applies to all of them? "Lamborghini: Not for Everybody" Is that really a helpful headline and POV for a review, or is it just stating the obvious? 

As for where I got the idea that you disagreed with bolded point 2: when you criticize a phone as "not something you'd want to walk around with and use" -- well, considering the whole point of a "mobile" phone is to walk around and use it, you've essentially declared the phone useless for its main purpose. Not to mention being clueless about what the target market for this phone WANTS to walk around with and use. You've pretty much written a review for people who have no interest in walking around with a bigger, heavier phone--and while I totally get that pov represents more of "everybody" than not, what's the point? I'm pretty sure no one needed an AI review to tell them that the Pro Max is a bigger, heavier phone. 

It's obvious--believe me!--that the 12 Pro Max IS NOT the phone for YOU, which is fine, but it's unfortunate that you allowed this bias to permeate the whole review. 
    I'm not sure why you're taking this review -- which by definition contains my opinions -- so personally and aggressively, because my conclusions differ from yours. The only conclusion I can draw is you're looking for some kind of purchase validation, which I'm sorry you didn't get in the review text.

If I was going to "essentially declare the phone useless for its main purpose" I wouldn't mince words. When I hate something, or don't recommend something, I'm very, very clear about it. There is no kind of hate in this review, nor is there any implication that is the case. I'll have to dig it up, but years ago, prior to the iPhone 6 release, Apple commissioned a survey that said about 75% of the iPhone's use was seated, in bed, or at a desk, so just because some folks would rather not use it while walking, that doesn't mean that the device is not fit for purpose. "Not for everybody" does not mean "not for anybody."

Here's the purchase validation, in case you're looking for it: I'm glad you know enough about yourself and the ecosystem to know that the iPhone 12 Pro Max is for you, as it is a great smartphone. That's not a true statement for everybody, and arguably, it's not a true statement for the vast majority of the smartphone market.

You didn't like this review, so in all likelihood, our opinions on mobile technologies vary, which is also okay. My advice to you, because of opinions, is to find a reviewer whose interests and tastes dovetail more with your own. 

I have a question, though -- and this isn't a gotcha in any way. In a previous comment, you'd noted that the 12 Pro Max had more of a brick-like feeling in your hand than the 11 Pro Max did. Has that changed with usage? I feel like the 22 folks that I got to try the phone may feel differently with time, if your opinion has changed over that same time since you posted the comment.
    Not looking for purchase validation at all, Mike. This is my fourth max phone and I know why I buy them. With all due respect, since you're a reviewer with a public platform and prominent voice in the Apple community, what I'm looking for is INFORMED opinion, and not just opinion, in your writing. At the end of your review you conclude, "...I'm not sure who needs to buy this phone." Hmmmm... considering that the max models have been very successful for Apple dating back to the 6 Plus in 2014, wouldn't you want to inform your opinion about what has been driving all those buying decisions to carry bigger, heavier phones before writing a review of one? I guess not, and that's the problem--what's the point of your review if it's not understanding and addressing those buyers? Dismissing a max phone because it's bigger and heavier is just lazy writing. You've written a max phone review from the perspective of a person who already knows that they don't want to carry a max phone. It's like an iPhone 12 Mini review from the pov of complaint about the smaller screen. Why bother when the smaller screen and overall size of the phone is the whole POINT of the product. The 12 Mini isn't for me, but I can still appreciate it as an awesome choice for anyone who values small size as a top priority in their phone choice. 
    I'm glad you're not looking for purchase validation. Based on your previous comments, you seem like a reasonable person. For what it's worth, the entire quote you're citing here is:

"But, unless you're replacing that iPhone X or older that you got at launch, or perhaps an iPhone XS Max that's got a few too many miles and drops on it, I'm not sure who needs to buy this phone, versus the iPhone 12 Pro non-Max"

This is radically different than just what you clipped out, out of context. My full remark specifically addresses both the folks that want the best of everything (upgrading from the iPhone x) and/or the biggest of everything (upgrading from the iPhone XS Max), versus what you implied I said, which is clearly not what the sentence means.

We're going to have to disagree on this, and I disagree with your assertion that I wrote it from the perspective of somebody who already knows that they don't want to carry a max phone. As I keep saying, and I'm not sure you're hearing, this is still a great smartphone. I bought this with my own money to replace that XS Max I mentioned with a few too many miles and drops, and it's not being returned in favor of something else smaller and less expensive -- I just won't be using it as a daily carry.

I wrote the review with the larger market in mind, and you wanted a review for big iPhone users that want big iPhones. And it is informed opinion. It just doesn't match yours.
    edited November 2020 CloudTalkin
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Has anyone done a test of the fast charge compatibility or time using the 18 Watt charger that came with the recent iPad Pro’s?? Since we have multiple of the 18 Watt chargers ( use them with the iPhone 11 Pro Max), would hate to just orphan them if the 18w didn’t support fast charge! If fast charge time were only10-15% slower that would be fine.  Likewise any issues using the 61 Watt chargers (or higher) from a MacBook Pro 13.   
    Thank you! Have a safe holiday ߦ㦬t;/div>

small edit for clarity 
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 27 of 35
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Thank you for the very complete and very candid, honest review...  I found it helpful.

The main message I took from it came from reading between the lines.  Specifically, it shows how the market has matured.  That is:
    That this is one great phone that exceeds the needs of most people.   It is an indication of how the smart phone market in general has matured:  that the power and functionality of these phones has begun to exceed the needs of most users.

Perhaps the analogy might be:   Buying a car with 600 horse power would be nice -- but in practice its not going to deliver much more to the average buyer than the family sedan that only has a third of that power does --because either will get you to the grocery store or work just as quickly.

Still, I would love to have a car with 600 hp as well as an iPhone Pro Max.   But, my frugal, pragmatic nature will likely stop me from buying either.  SOB!
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 28 of 35
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,258member
    I think this was quite a good, objective review, thank you Appleinsider.
    edited November 2020 williamlondonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 35
    I’ve gotta agree with others....there is a negative tone to the review that is not justified.  Starting with 4 out of 5 stars?  This phone is INSANE AWESOME!  If anything deserves 5 stars this is it!

Yes, it’s big....which is part of what makes it so awesome!  True, many will prefer a smaller phone but that is not a strike against this beast:D

I love it!
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 30 of 35
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 946member
    FWIW from the product page. 

“iPhone 12 Pro Max

Silver, Graphite, Gold, Pacific Blue

Ceramic Shield front
    Textured matte glass back and

stainless steel design”: 

https://www.apple.com/iphone-12-pro/specs/

as to the review? Yes it’s a lot of camera, which I like. Then again my other camera is a Nikon d850. The size is great for content access and fits nicely in the same pockets my previous Max fit. 
    edited November 2020
  • Reply 31 of 35
    eriamjh said:
    I love my iPhone 12 Max Pro Extreme Ultimate Super Magnum Epic Monster Deluxe Supreme Edition.  

I don’t mind the high price because I’m planning on this being a 4-year phone, like my 7 Plus was.   It’s literally only 0.10” taller than the 7 Plus is and the same width with more screen in the same area.  Weight?  It’s heavier, but I need to workout more.   

My 7 plus was really getting loose in the lightning port so I also bought the MagSafe charger for home overnight charging.    

Cell signal is faster everywhere outside, but at home, I’m in a 1-2 bar area so home WiFi makes up for that.  

I’m happy and now have a $40 phone payment for the next 30 months.   It’s what happens.   
    Hey ereiamjh, I'm like you. I'm going from the iPhone 7 Plus (interestingly enough the last iPhone to distinguish itself from its smaller version with a genuine hardware based camera improvement) to the 12 Pro Max. Either we've been out of the loop too long, or reviewers have forgotten what the Plus models were like since the iPhone X dropped, but I don't get all the "it's too big" consternation I've seen from reviewers. I've been using the 7 Plus, with the Apple Leather case, since launch day and it fits my pants pockets just fine. In fact, with that case it's larger than the 12 Pro Max, and it similarly fits my hand(s).

Now, for anyone reading reviews and trying to judge if it's right for them, I'll be clear that I do have big hands. Let me be specific about what I mean by that so it actually has some value to you as a reference. Like many of you, I've heard/seen several reviewers make the same claim. They are then quick to point out that EVEN WITH their big hands the 12 Pro Max is simply too big, and likely too much to handle on a daily basis for the audience. Well, based on my current 7 Plus experience, as well as the visual evidence in their video reviews, I think they are associating having "big hands" with having large, thick, meaty paws. Those may be "big", but that's not what I mean when I say I have big hands. In fact, I'm quite lean with hands to match. I'm talking about the overall length of the hand/fingers (nothing else implied or suggested  ;)). For reference, so you can compare to your own hands, I'll tell you that I'm 6' tall, but that I can truly palm a basketball, and can hold a 10.5" iPad Pro edge to edge with it comfortably in the first knuckle of my thumb and middle (as well as the other) fingers. I can use the 7 Plus one handed without any difficulty.

The main reason for upgrading to a new iPhone for me is the camera. I'm a photographer. To this day I take better photos with the 7 Plus than most friends and family members do with an 11 Pro (if you're a photographer as well, pro or amateur, you know this isn't a special feat, it's the simple reality of good image composition and an understanding light). I want the iPhone to function well in the role of a camera as a hardware device, not simply as a phone that can capture computationally good images. As a photographer who uses a battery gripped 5D Mark IV, and who finds the ergonomics of the otherwise phenomenal mirrorless cameras from Sony and others challenging, I greatly prefer something with size to hold for stability. For photos and videos, I find the size an actual advantage, never mind how much better it works as a view finder with the larger screen, and that the size now allows for a significantly larger sensor and IBIS.

If you look at the review Niley did for The Verge, and watch the video review on YouTube (highly recommended), you'll see there are some very significant advantages to the iPhone 12 Pro Max camera. He captures images in the types of lighting that challenge most cameras, and the differences between the Max and the regular Pro, as well as the latest Pixel, are dramatic. Better still for photographers, the new ProRaw format from Apple enhances those differences even further. If you're looking to upgrade for a better camera, if you care mostly about the camera in a phone, if you want to forgo a real camera for all but the most important images, absolutely go with the Pro Max. It's no larger or any less usable than the 6/7/8 Plus, and will give you superb results for 4-5 years. 
  • Reply 32 of 35
    JFC_PA said:

Textured matte glass back and

https://www.apple.com/iphone-12-pro/specs/

That's solid info; thanks.

• Reply 33 of 35
    NioNio Posts: 1member
    Here’s my experience of the 12 Pro Max that can hopefully help some people:  

1) SIZE: Moving from a XS Max, I didn’t have much concern over the size, since it is only marginally bigger than my current model. The screen is great, and I like the larger screen. My experience with the new 12 Pro Max, however, was that it felt noticeably larger because of the squared sides, more like a brick, than the XS Max—much more than the negligible spec-difference would indicate. Also, because of the squared sides, when performing the swiping actions, my fingers would scrape the corner edge—not a problem, just noticeable—which is not an issue with the iPad Pro because of their larger bezels. 
    2) WEIGHT: noticeably heavier. The specs only show a 20g difference (428g vs 408g), but it’s enough to make it harder to handle, especially with one hand.
    3) FUNCTION: Apple no longer offers the Folio case with auto on/off when you open and close the cover. It’s a function that I much appreciate and enjoy on the iPhone, as well as the iPad Pro. The lack of the folio for the new iPhone is likely because it relies on magnets at the front and back of the case to function, and with the advent of MagSafe, it’s no longer possible. This means that when putting the iPhone down, I need to press the on/off button or else rely on the auto shut-off. A second problem this created is that I also liked putting my subway pass in the folio, so I could fold it out and tap the gate for subway use. The current wallet is not a substitute, because to have the subway card function, one would need to remove the magnetic wallet from the phone, pull the card out (because the holder is shielded), tap, before reversing the process after going through the gate—obviously a non-starter. 
    4) SELFIE LENS: Haven’t seen my concerns written up anywhere, but with the 7MP to 12MP megapixel increase, the lens also went wider angle. This would normally be a useful upgrade, except for two things. First, my Zoom setup is such that I use a blank wall as a background, sometimes on the couch and sometimes on my bed. With the wider angle, the lens now picks up the bed frame and sheets, and there is no way to zoom the camera on Zoom, at least for now. I tried moving my phone setup closer, which helps some, but this leads to a second issue, that the lens introduces a fisheye distortion. In the wide angle main camera, the phone uses algorithms to correct the distortion, but this is not present with the front lens. The closer the lens is, the more the fisheye problem is obvious—great for a rap video effect, not so much for a professional Zoom call. I ended up looking for other ways to do Zoom calls that didn’t involve my new iPhone. 

Any one or even two of these issues would have been fine, but when taken as a whole, I decided to return the phone after 12 days and return to my well-loved XS Max. I’ll miss the photographic advantages of the 12, but not the other stuff. When I upgrade in the future, I will consider a smaller model. 
    williamlondonphilboogieavon b7
  • Reply 34 of 35
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,058member
    Nio said:
    Here’s my experience of the 12 Pro Max that can hopefully help some people:  

1) SIZE: Moving from a XS Max, I didn’t have much concern over the size, since it is only marginally bigger than my current model. The screen is great, and I like the larger screen. My experience with the new 12 Pro Max, however, was that it felt noticeably larger because of the squared sides, more like a brick, than the XS Max—much more than the negligible spec-difference would indicate. Also, because of the squared sides, when performing the swiping actions, my fingers would scrape the corner edge—not a problem, just noticeable—which is not an issue with the iPad Pro because of their larger bezels. 
    2) WEIGHT: noticeably heavier. The specs only show a 20g difference (428g vs 408g), but it’s enough to make it harder to handle, especially with one hand.
    3) FUNCTION: Apple no longer offers the Folio case with auto on/off when you open and close the cover. It’s a function that I much appreciate and enjoy on the iPhone, as well as the iPad Pro. The lack of the folio for the new iPhone is likely because it relies on magnets at the front and back of the case to function, and with the advent of MagSafe, it’s no longer possible. This means that when putting the iPhone down, I need to press the on/off button or else rely on the auto shut-off. A second problem this created is that I also liked putting my subway pass in the folio, so I could fold it out and tap the gate for subway use. The current wallet is not a substitute, because to have the subway card function, one would need to remove the magnetic wallet from the phone, pull the card out (because the holder is shielded), tap, before reversing the process after going through the gate—obviously a non-starter. 
    4) SELFIE LENS: Haven’t seen my concerns written up anywhere, but with the 7MP to 12MP megapixel increase, the lens also went wider angle. This would normally be a useful upgrade, except for two things. First, my Zoom setup is such that I use a blank wall as a background, sometimes on the couch and sometimes on my bed. With the wider angle, the lens now picks up the bed frame and sheets, and there is no way to zoom the camera on Zoom, at least for now. I tried moving my phone setup closer, which helps some, but this leads to a second issue, that the lens introduces a fisheye distortion. In the wide angle main camera, the phone uses algorithms to correct the distortion, but this is not present with the front lens. The closer the lens is, the more the fisheye problem is obvious—great for a rap video effect, not so much for a professional Zoom call. I ended up looking for other ways to do Zoom calls that didn’t involve my new iPhone. 

Any one or even two of these issues would have been fine, but when taken as a whole, I decided to return the phone after 12 days and return to my well-loved XS Max. I’ll miss the photographic advantages of the 12, but not the other stuff. When I upgrade in the future, I will consider a smaller model. 
    I have to agree that the flat sides give the 12 Pro Max a bigger, more brick-like feeling that is actually in contradiction to the specs. Compared to my 11 Pro Max, which I still have in my possession, the 12 specs out as nearly identical: it's a slightly thinner phone, and only the slightest bit larger in length, width and weight. Yet the feeling-in-hand is of greater difference. On the plus side, however, I prefer to carry my iPhone careless, and the flat sides give me a much better grip, especially for photography, unlike the "wet bar of soap" feeling I had with the rounded edges of the 11. 
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Thank you for the thorough, thoughtful, and insightful review. I found it useful.