Microsoft 365 and Office 2019 updates arrive with Apple Silicon and Big Sur support

Posted:
in macOS edited November 2020
The latest Microsoft 365 and Office 2019 updates make the productivity suite fully compatible with macOS Big Sur and Apple Silicon -- but it is not native code for the M1 processor.

The main apps in Office 2016 for Mac
The main apps in Office 2016 for Mac

The latest release of Microsoft's Office suite of apps including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, and OneDrive can be installed on devices that are based on the Apple Silicon architecture. For the best experience, install the November 2020 build 16.43, or newer.

Beyond Apple Silicon compatibility, the new release includes the "latest optimizations for macOS Big Sur" which is expected to be made available on Thursday afternoon.

Microsoft says that the Apple Silicon updates have feature parity with the previous versions. It also says that the first launch of each Office app will take a bit longer, as macOS is generating optimized code for the Apple Silicon processor -- confirming that the code isn't native to Apple Silicon, and is relying on Rosetta 2 for operation.

There does not appear to be any discrete download at this time. The new updates are available through the Microsoft Update utility in macOS.

A Microsoft 365 subscription comes in business, personal and family versions. The business version costs from $5 per month per user, and the personal edition is $6.99 per month.

Microsoft recently announced that it was officially ending support for Office 2016 for Mac on October 13, 2020. Apple Silicon compatibility in Office 2016 is questionable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I think Office and indeed Microsoft's commitment to cross platform support is amazing.

(Aside from the desktop version of outlook, that is terrible)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The version number is 16.43.20110804 for the four apps. I got the update notice last night.

They’re “snappier”!  B)

And why would anyone expect M1 code at this point? Patience.
    edited November 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    I'm sure we'll be seeing all the major titles rolling up updates soon for Big Sur and M1.

I noticed all of the Affinity apps (Photo, Designer, and Publisher) updated today with Big Sur and M1 support. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    lkrupp said:
    The version number is 16.43.20110804 for the four apps. I got the update notice last night.

They’re “snappier”!  B)

And why would anyone expect M1 code at this point? Patience.
    Microsoft also announced M1 native versions being released yesterday as part of their beta program.  Why would anyone expect M1 code at this point?  Because they had access to the development kit back in June and have been working on M1 native versions since then.  So if you are in their Beta Connect program, you can download M1 native beta versions now.
    asdasd
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Is Office version 16.43 (20110804) running under 32bits compatible with Big Sur ? I am hesitating to upgrade to this new OS, afraid to end up with MS Office Apps not working at all like it was the case when uploading Catalina... Thoughts, suggestions please ?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    So the new releases fixed some bugs and now the apps work using Rosetta 2?

I guess that's good, but pretty par for the course.