SixtyForce

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone gotten it to work? It was slow on my iBook so I waited, bided my time, and bought a miniPowerBookG4 with 640 RAM. Yet with nothing else running it's still too slow with all my favorite games like MarioKart, Super Smash Bros, Zelda, etc. Yes Brad I own them.

Anyone else tried these games, and what system are you on? By the looks of screenshots on Gerrit Goosen's site it looks like some people have been getting it to work for quite a while. I just want to be rad and get a USB controller and play smash bros and mario kart on the road with my PB.

Also what's his email I noticed it's almost his birthday again and I want to say keep up the good work and all that jazz.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    dp
  • Reply 2 of 75
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Yeah...he's known to release a update to sixtyforce every 3rd of April. But rumor has it that this may not happen this year. He's apparently very busy and doesn't have much time to work on sixtyforce. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised with a release that'll blow me away in terms of speed and compatibility but I really doubt this will happen.

Also, HID support is apparently in according a guy on mac.emuscene.com that knows Gerrit. Everything else is still a bit of an unknown. I suppose that with the Zelda screenshot, Gerrit has no choice but to release sixtyforce with the Zelda support (even if it's been rumored, once again, that by adding Zelda compatibility, other games broke.)
  • Reply 3 of 75
    Thanks for the info. I can't imagine the amount of work it takes to make an emulator. I'd gladly pay for SixtyForce. I just wanted to know if it's just me or if everyone else is seeing the slowness. Sound stutters in MarioKart but when it's off it almost runs normally, about 80% speed. Most games won't open. Super Smash Bros opens but it insanely slow.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Thanks for the info. I can't imagine the amount of work it takes to make an emulator. I'd gladly pay for SixtyForce. I just wanted to know if it's just me or if everyone else is seeing the slowness. Sound stutters in MarioKart but when it's off it almost runs normally, about 80% speed. Most games won't open. Super Smash Bros opens but it insanely slow.

Well things are looking very grim for a birthday release.
  • Reply 5 of 75
    heh.. I've tried 60force with Mario 64 and it runs ok... accept it runs like sh*t with sound on...Once you disable the sound it runs like butter....err as smooth as butter I should say. heh. Try experimenting with the different settings. Yeah I saw that screenshot.... He's even told me in the past that hes working on getting it work with Zelda Majora's Mask... Theres also another N64 emulator that may not be as good but its worth a try in my opinion. Its called Mupen64. Its under heavy developement that last time I checked... They released a new version recently... Check it out here.
  • Reply 6 of 75
    What system are you using? I also see weird artifacts in Mariokart, like white squares under the cars. And you can't change the keys in SixtyForce..It's April 4th I'm hoping Gerrit comes back to SixtyForce sometime! It's 80% there. It looks like Mupen isn't able to play regular games yet.
  • Reply 7 of 75
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Mario 64 is really the only game I've been able to play acceptably on it.
  • Reply 8 of 75
    Yeah that was the first game the Big N released for it.... So I'm not surprised that that's the first game that working well... That screenshot looks promising though....
  • Reply 9 of 75
    What system is everyone using? I was blown away by the slowness. I have a G4 867 with 640 RAM and 10.2.4. Considering Gerrit's low-level emulation I was expecting it would play realtime on my iBook, but when it wouldn't I was understanding, the original iBook does have some major handicaps. But not the PBG4 12"...
  • Reply 10 of 75
    Ive got the "snow" 2001 600 Mhz model iBook with 384 MB of RAM... I havent f*cked around with 60force in a while so.... heheh..
  • Reply 11 of 75
    12" screen
  • Reply 12 of 75
    Quote:

Considering Gerrit's low-level emulation I was expecting it would play realtime on my iBook...

1. sixtyforce is using high level emulation.

2. Low level emulation is even more processor intensive...if Gerrit used low level emulation for sixtyforce, you'd be getting even bigger slow downs.
  • Reply 13 of 75
    I could swear I read low-level but I can't find it and I don't care. Anyway most games in addition to running at 10% speed have a weird flickering going on. I have 0% success rate so far with 15 or so games. I'll email Gerrit to see what he's doing and of course happy birthday. I wonder how Mupen is coming along?
  • Reply 14 of 75
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Has anyone tried Muppen? I do not have to many games to test it out with but it seems to have promise...
  • Reply 15 of 75
    Yes. It's shittacular. I know it's .1 but it just quits, no error message or anything, on every single ROM I have. Presents an open dialog at opening, and clicking cancel quits it. It would be nice to be able to click cancel and look and look at the prefs. Oh well I guess it'll be another year before we can play N64 games. If I had a fast enough Mac I'd try emulating a N64 in Virtual PC (yes an emulator in an emulator!)
  • Reply 16 of 75
    Mupen does the same thing on XP. Why are they being retarded? They should help SixtyForce, since it is open source I believe, I saw a link to download .6 soure on gerrit's site. I'm depressed I emailed Gerrit Goosen 10 days ago or something and I guess he's too busy to keep developing SixtyForce or even email his fans
  • Reply 17 of 75
    I guess SixtyForce is dead.
  • Reply 18 of 75
    Quote:

I guess SixtyForce is dead.

Correction...Gerrit, the author is probably dead. sixtyforce is open source. Someone with N64 knowledge should just take the source and keep working on it.
  • Reply 19 of 75
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Correction...Gerrit, the author is probably dead. sixtyforce is open source. Someone with N64 knowledge should just take the source and keep working on it.

well thats a nice thought...
  • Reply 20 of 75
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

well thats a nice thought...

What...that Gerrit might be dead?