FaceTime eye contact correction feature to launch with iOS 14

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has confirmed that FaceTime's eye contact correction feature, first seen in early beta versions of iOS 13, is back and here to stay in iOS 14.

The eye correction feature was first introduced in an iOS 13 beta, but didn't make it to the final release.
The eye correction feature was first introduced in an iOS 13 beta, but didn't make it to the final release.

The company first tested the feature in an iOS 13 beta before pulling it prior to final release. It used augmented reality and advanced image manipulation techniques to make it seem like a FaceTime participant is making eye contact, or looking directly into the front-facing camera, when they are really looking at an iPhone's screen.

Although the feature didn't make it into the final release of iOS 13, Apple seems to have worked out the kinks and will include it in iOS 14 and iPadOS 14.

On Apple's iOS 14 features page, the company lists "Eye contact" as a new FaceTime feature. It was referred to as "Attention Correction" in iOS 13 beta.

"FaceTime can make video calling more natural by helping you establish eye contact even when you're looking at the screen instead of the camera," the feature's description reads.

iOS 14 will also introduce new widget customization, an App Library, Siri enhancements and a systemwide picture-in-picture mode. It's currently in beta testing and will debut to the public in the fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    Wondered what had become of this. Lack of eye contact in video chat sucks. (also annoyed me that every tv show or film faked this)
    svanstromwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,418member
    I just cannot figure out what makes it so useful. Upon reading an article with examples, even with the correction, it doesn't seem different at all - to me, I can tell if the user is looking at the screen or at the camera. I guess I'll have to wait and see in practice. 
  • Reply 3 of 6
    When I FaceTime with my family using my iPad Air 4, I cannot make eye contact. I checked and am updated to IOS 14 which is supposed to correct that problem. Any help is appreciated!
    byronl
  • Reply 4 of 6
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    Granny3 said:
    When I FaceTime with my family using my iPad Air 4, I cannot make eye contact. I checked and am updated to IOS 14 which is supposed to correct that problem. Any help is appreciated!
    There’s an “eye contact” switch in the FaceTime settings in the iOS preferences. 
    byronl
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Thank you for responding to my question. I couldn’t find the eye contact switch on my iPad Air 4. Upon further research I found out it is not included in iOS 14 for iPads yet.
    byronl
  • Reply 6 of 6
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    Granny3 said:
    Thank you for responding to my question. I couldn’t find the eye contact switch on my iPad Air 4. Upon further research I found out it is not included in iOS 14 for iPads yet.
    Oh, apologies. It never occurred to me that there might be a feature discrepancy between iOS and iPadOS. 

Sorry.
    byronl