Keychron K1 review: the wireless keyboard Apple should have made

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Finally a topic on which all the AI factions agree!
    StrangeDaysSpamSandwichcpsro
  • Reply 22 of 34
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mcdave said:
    “The Keychron K1 is the perfect introductory mechanical keyboard for users coming from Apple's Magic Keyboard.” - coming from? Where are these users going to? The 70s?

AI needs to seriously rethink its sponsors.

They are going back to good, high quality, keyboards for typists because they're fed up with junky (but expensive) keyboards.

• Reply 23 of 34
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Don't forget the dustcover! It's the most critical accessory for retro keyboards. 

Nah!   It's Apple's butterfly keyboards that need dust covers.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    WTF???!!!!
  • Reply 25 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    "This mechanical keyboard is not for everyone. It fills a specific niche,"

...which is exactly why it isn't the wireless keyboard made by Apple, who targets mass markets.
    edited December 2020 foregoneconclusion
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Should be called the "Magic: The Gathering" keyboard.  (reference for specific generations)
  • Reply 27 of 34
    mr lizard said:
    Good lord that thing looks hideous. I’m sure it’s an absolute delight to type on and it’s great that it exists for those who want it, but no, it’s definitely not the “keyboard Apple should have made”. 
    Yeah, it looks like something straight off the Alibaba site. Horrendous.
    Or worse, Alienware.
    Remember those monstrosities?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 28 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    The comments are quite amusing!

I do have to admit that I am very intrigued with the ten key less (TKL) 87-key keyboard design because the 104-key designs put the mouse/trackpad too far away. Plus I never use the number pad - especially since it has no gold key - cough cough. I cannot see myself going back to using such a thick keyboard and having to use a wrist wrest to reach the upper row.

If Apple made a TKL version of their wireless Magic Keyboard I would buy one immediately. 
  • Reply 29 of 34
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    Ugliest tech thing I have ever seen. Subjective of course.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    Everyone is knocking it without having tried it. I bought one and have been using it for a month. I have to say its pretty incredible and I will be buying it for another setup I have. 

The only downside is that it needs more tilt for me. If you look at it compared to the other keyboards shown here, the keys are not angled despite the base angle. I attached a tilt stand. Keychron should have done this in the design. 

Yes... flash LED is not a part of our Apple universe... and seems rather... well... ugly... but turning to white for example, that is your backlighting. 

All that being said... as a developer... who types excessively.... this keyboard is a massive step up in productivity and comfort. 

Don't knock it until you give it a go. (ugliness and all)
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 31 of 34
    I use a mechanical keyboard with my Mac. Cherry MX browns, and RGB. Specifically a Durgod K320 Taurus. My main draw, is a work in the dark, and I like RGB lighting. I used to have a magic keyboard, but I thought it looks a bit boring and dated compared to a lot of modern mechanicals, plus I wanted the lighting. 

I cannot imagine Apple making a keyboard like this. But I think they should include RGB lighting in their offerings.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    ipilya said:
    Everyone is knocking it without having tried it. I bought one and have been using it for a month. I have to say its pretty incredible and I will be buying it for another setup I have. 

The only downside is that it needs more tilt for me. If you look at it compared to the other keyboards shown here, the keys are not angled despite the base angle. I attached a tilt stand. Keychron should have done this in the design. 

Yes... flash LED is not a part of our Apple universe... and seems rather... well... ugly... but turning to white for example, that is your backlighting. 

All that being said... as a developer... who types excessively.... this keyboard is a massive step up in productivity and comfort. 

Don't knock it until you give it a go. (ugliness and all)
    Apple customers tend to have a bias toward good looking products, so I don’t see a big future among enthusiasts.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    What a ludicrous article title.

Also, for people who like to have clean hardware, that looks like a nightmare for cleaning.