Apple's HomePod mini review: the speaker for the rest of us

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I've bought both AirPods and a Watch from B&H PhotoVideo for the discount pricing when each item was announced. Both took forever to ship. So I only buy from them when the ad copy says "In Stock". In that case I get an item promptly, otherwise it's anybody's guess. Waiting on product from Apple is probably the case with most authorized third-party sellers.

As to audio quality, I find my HomePod bass heavy as well. I haven't tried moving them around, as its size limits my positioning it around the room. It may be that a more open location lessens the bass somewhat. But there is no independent control of the EQ, not even rudimentary "tone" controls of bass and treble. The restricts my HP to background listening instead of being the main focus of listening. It appears the mini can't be connected to a full size HP the way either can be connected to a like unit. That's a shame as it might provide me a more favorable tonal balance. Maybe with a future update?

The mini, using a USB-C connector for power, is a huge plus. That it's on the end of a permanently connected cable, however nice, not so much.

Can anyone advise, via actual experience, how well either the HP or HP mini work when providing audio for video content? BT speakers have so far been unacceptable for this. Even a small lag of maybe 25ms drives me nuts. I could possible tolerate their generally poor audio but for the lag. I'm not an audio snob nor do I have audiophile pretensions, but most of my music and video listening and viewing is done on a somewhat critical level, so most artifacts aren't easily overlooked. 

These small HPs would seem a natural for "computer" or "TV" speakers, especially when compared to the latter's weak internal offerings. I see them as more pleasing aesthetically, than a sound bar, so I'd like to know if they "keep up" with video content.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    jagbatth said:
    Still have yet to receive my HomePod mini from the Adorama deal Apple insider mentioned a month ago.  HomePod mini is available in Mexico and other countries and I ordered on launch date with no updates on shipping or even if it will ever ship. Sad story. Please do not use Adorama for anything or recommend these schmucks in the future!
    Same here. It would at least be nice for AI to say something about this. I know it’s a third party reseller but it still had AI’s backing, and I thought maybe the $10 discount was helping AI a little bit so that’s why I did it through Adorama instead of Apple, Inc. Now I’m waiting for weeks while many already have it. Last correspondence from Adorama said that they’re still backordered and also that Nov. 30th is when it should arrive. I’ll believe it when I see it. 
    Our deals coordinator should be chiming in on this fairly soon, in this thread.
    Just following back up on this. I didn’t see anything from your deals coordinator about this, unless I missed it. December 1 and still nothing. Adorama order says they would arrive on November  30th, but I don’t know if that meant to them or to me. Doesn’t look like to me. Just would be nice if they were more transparent and they probably would have more answers if you guys approached them instead of a regular Joe like me. 
    jagbatth
  • Reply 43 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I was hoping I could aggregate a couple of Home Pod minis to work with the Apple TV4K and the paired Home Pods already in use to act as rear speakers.  So far it seems it is an either-or situation with additional Home Pods.  I can select various other audio devices to be ganged with the Home Pods, e.g. a sound bar or the TV's own speakers but not more Home Pods.  Has anyone found a way to select more than the single pair from the AppleTV4K?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 44 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Regarding my previous post above.  I can easily play music from a voice command through all Home Pods and Home Pod minis in the house but I don't see a way to do the same from the Apple TV4K.  They appear as options and you can only select individual Home Pods or paired sets from the on-screen menu, I can't find a way to select all of them.  I'd appreciate any input if there is a way to do this.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    Alger said:

I hope this isn't an indication of what's to come from them.
    Perhaps Apple isn't the company for negative nellies?!
    Apple are not a political party or movement to be loyal to at all costs. They are a product, branded as the best overall, and I've purchased more than $10K worth of Apple products because they are the best experience overall, not because I like the name.  I also own a large amount of Apple stock, so I want the company to continue their breathtaking success - I just don't see how they're going to grow their smart-speaker market with this product.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 46 of 48

I honestly don't know why people think the HomePod sounds good.  It is far too heavy on the bass and too boomy, and Apple refuses to incorporate tone/EQ controls so people can tailor the sound to their own liking.  It is Apple's way, or no way.  Too many restrictions on a speaker thatatake away the enjoyment of its sole purpose - to listen to music.  Sorry, but the 4.5 rating is a joke.

Agreed on this point. Returned mine today. I mostly listen to spoken word and my impression, same as the regular homepod, is that speaking voices are unnaturally bass-y and also sound MUFFLED.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    It would be if it worked.  Finally got mine today.  I tried over 10 times to set it up and it kept getting a failure. My iPhone XS Max was up to date and it had good WiFi signal in the area. Would go through all the setup screens and then fail with 301003 code.  Factory reset the HomePod mini multiple times. 

Decided to try the iPad Pro.  Updated that to iPadOS 14.3 and low and behold the HomePod mini was able to be set up.  But now when I try and do anything it says that it can’t connect to the internet.  Of course every other device set right next to it has perfect WiFi signal and no problems connecting to the internet. 

I can use the Home app, where it does show up, to play music on it (which I suspect is being streamed through my phone).  

Wasted hours today trying to get this thing to work. 

I got it to test Thread and the Nanoleaf essentials bulbs with.  Hopefully that part works.  

• Reply 48 of 48
    jagbatth said:
    Still have yet to receive my HomePod mini from the Adorama deal Apple insider mentioned a month ago.  HomePod mini is available in Mexico and other countries and I ordered on launch date with no updates on shipping or even if it will ever ship. Sad story. Please do not use Adorama for anything or recommend these schmucks in the future!
    Same here. It would at least be nice for AI to say something about this. I know it’s a third party reseller but it still had AI’s backing, and I thought maybe the $10 discount was helping AI a little bit so that’s why I did it through Adorama instead of Apple, Inc. Now I’m waiting for weeks while many already have it. Last correspondence from Adorama said that they’re still backordered and also that Nov. 30th is when it should arrive. I’ll believe it when I see it. 
    Hi, unfortunately the inventory constraints affecting the HomePod mini are coming from Apple directly. I spoke with Adorama today and they're working hard to ensure preorders are shipped as soon as units are available from Apple and through distribution channels. While inventory shortages are plaguing the tech industry right now, I know how frustrating it can be and want to say thank you for your patience. As of my conversation with Adorama today, we're hoping units will ship no later than mid- to late January. This shortage is affecting Apple resellers in general, not just Adorama.