Apple Music support added to Google's smart speaker and display ranges

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2020
Owners of Google's Nest and other smart speakers and displays that use the Google Assistant are now able to use their Apple Music subscription through the devices for the first time.

Google is rolling out support for Apple Music to its Google Assistant-enabled devices, including Nest Audio, Nest Hub Max, Nest Mini, and others, from Monday. The move, arriving just before the holidays, will let those with an Apple Music subscription listen to over 70 million songs, as well as albums and playlists hosted by the service.

To enable Apple Music on the devices, users have to link their Apple Music account to their Google Home app, and then set Apple Music as the default music streaming service, Google's official blog writes. Once enabled, users will be able to perform normal assistant queries to access their music, such as "Hey Google, play Caravan Palace Lone Digger."

This also includes the ability to request playing specific songs, artists, and user-created playlists, as well as those generated by Apple itself covering genres, moods, and activities. It is even possible to play songs a user has liked and added to their Apple Music library.

The support also extends to Google Home's multi-room control feature, for music to be played on multiple devices throughout a home or to be moved from one place to another.

Apple Music support has started to roll out to Nest and other Assistant-equipped smart speakers and displays, in the United States, United Kingdom, France, Germany, and Japan. It joins a wide variety of other music services accessible from Google's speakers, including Spotify, Deezer, Pandora, TuneIn, and YouTube Music.

The addition of Apple Music on Google's ecosystem follows long after a similar move by Amazon, which has included it in its Echo speaker line for a number of years.
razorpit

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    About. Damn. Time. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Wouldn't that involve me providing Google with my AppleId & its Password?  

No way!  I feel secure with my health data and access to my finances being available to Apple -- but to give somebody else the keys to that data?   No thanks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Doesn’t seem to be there for me yet.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    You guys use these spy machines?
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11

No way!  I feel secure with my health data and access to my finances being available to Apple -- but to give somebody else the keys to that data?   No thanks.
    And how many Google Home or Nest devices do you own? My guess is zero. So your only purpose in contributing was to make yet another riposte expressing your disdain for Google's decision to protect themselves from being swallowed up by the Microsoft monopoly by creating Android. So enjoy your HomePod.

Oh, but you own an Alexa? Fine ...  so of course you knew that Amazons' speakers run Android too? Amazon's entire hardware ecosystem is based off their forked version of Google's Android. Before then, all Amazon had going on was firmware for their Kindle e-readers. So even if you do own a HomePod, it is only because Amazon's Android speakers created a successful product for Apple to copy in the first place.
    bala1234
  • Reply 6 of 11

To enable Apple Music on the devices, users have to link their Apple Music account to their Google Home app, and then set Apple Music as the default music streaming service, Google's official blog writes

The addition of Apple Music on Google's ecosystem follows long after a similar move by Amazon, which has included it in its Echo speaker line for a number of years.
    Except the blog doesn't actually SAY that. Instead it says "You can also select Apple Music as your default music streaming service." But you can also keep your existing default music streaming service while making Apple one of the alternate services that you can specify with commands. 

As for "follows a similar move by Amazon" ... so we are to believe that this was being blocked on the Google side as opposed to the Apple one? Case in point: of all the TV or movie streaming services, which is the only one that can't be accessed on any Android device? Apple TV and ... well that is it. While Apple and Amazon have mostly played together nicely for years - minus exceptions like Amazon refusing to sell Apple TV devices - Apple Music is the only Apple product or service that made it through the blockade to Android (and even then only because Apple knew that they needed Android's numbers to be able to dislodge market leader Spotify). Even after creating the Apple Music app for Android, Apple dragged their feet on enabling Chromecast support for as long as humanly possible. Well I guess not quite as long ... because Amazon still refuses to enable Chromecast for Prime Video or Prime Music to this day. (But ... at least Amazon allowed Prime Video and Prime Music on Android phones and tablets from day one and recently gave up and now permit them on Android TV also). 

I have yet to see evidence that Google blocks any (legitimate) products or services from their platforms. Google also knows that millions of Android device owners subscribe to Apple Music and that if those people couldn't stream that service to Google speakers they would buy Alexa or HomePod products instead (as indeed some undoubtedly have). But ... if the author is able to show me how and where I am wrong - and that Apple Music is the only legitimate product that Google has ever blocked in its history - then I will gladly recant.
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 7 of 11
    cloudguy said:

To enable Apple Music on the devices, users have to link their Apple Music account to their Google Home app, and then set Apple Music as the default music streaming service, Google's official blog writes

Except the blog doesn't actually SAY that. Instead it says "You can also select Apple Music as your default music streaming service." But you can also keep your existing default music streaming service while making Apple one of the alternate services that you can specify with commands. 

As for "follows a similar move by Amazon" ... so we are to believe that this was being blocked on the Google side as opposed to the Apple one? ...
    Little too sensitive today? I was with you on your first response. But this...

GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    bala1234 said:
    cloudguy said:

As for "follows a similar move by Amazon" ... so we are to believe that this was being blocked on the Google side as opposed to the Apple one? ...
    Little too sensitive today? I was with you on your first response. But this...

Ignore him. He's been ranting against Apple since he joined. He keeps tying a whole lot of nothing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    cloudguy said:

And how many Google Home or Nest devices do you own? My guess is zero. So your only purpose in contributing was to make yet another riposte expressing your disdain for Google's decision to protect themselves from being swallowed up by the Microsoft monopoly by creating Android. So enjoy your HomePod.

Oh, but you own an Alexa? Fine ...  so of course you knew that Amazons' speakers run Android too? Amazon's entire hardware ecosystem is based off their forked version of Google's Android. Before then, all Amazon had going on was firmware for their Kindle e-readers. So even if you do own a HomePod, it is only because Amazon's Android speakers created a successful product for Apple to copy in the first place.

You guessed correctly.
    I don't have Google spyware in my house or in my pocket -- and do not intend to.

But, that's beside the point:   I do not intend to hand my AppleID & Password out to anybody except Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    cloudguy said:

You guessed correctly.
    I don't have Google spyware in my house or in my pocket -- and do not intend to.

But, that's beside the point:   I do not intend to hand my AppleID & Password out to anybody except Apple.
    Sign in with Apple. I think that's the way it works. 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    gatorguy said:
    cloudguy said:

You guessed correctly.

Sign in with Apple. I think that's the way it works. 

I SKEARED!

Not knowing what happens behind the scenes makes me hesitant.
    But that does make sense.
    watto_cobra