Samsung apes Apple, won't ship chargers and headphones with devices

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    lkrupp said:
    So what about the outrage expressed in these forums when Apple announced this? Can we expect to hear from those same outraged posters castigating Samsung? I’m betting not. Will Samsung be accused of skullduggery like those same posters trashed Apple over? Just wondering.

"But but that's where the industry was heading anyway!!"

Wasn't AvonB one of the iKnockoff defenders saying it didn't make sense for Sammy to remove these things?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 38
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    Apple: We’re going to reduce environmental waste and stop providing an accessory with every iPhone that most people already have several of

Scamsung: Hold my beer...
    edited December 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 38
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member

Funny Pradox:

iKnockoff morons claimed Apple copied the notch from some oddball knockoff called Essential Phone because it had a camera hole.

All iKnockoffs copy the notch.

Samsung releases iKnockoffs with camera holes.

iKnockoff morons claim Samsung DID NOT copy Apple because "It's a camera hole!!"

But wait, didn't Essential Phone have a "camera hole" which Apple copied supposedly? Or do Apple inventions not count?
    Is a "camera hole" a "notch" or not?
    edited December 2020 magman1979ronnlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 38
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    iHaters everywhere cried out in terror, then silence.
    magman1979razorpitBeatslkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 38
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Sammy is too gutless to think on its own. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    jungmark said:
    Sammy is too gutless to think on its own. 
    I’m pretty sure they thought of it but we’re too gutless to do it on their own. Apple doing it first made it ‘acceptable’
    razorpitBeatslkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 38

Mike, please correct your article before all Apple fans here run crazy.
    Here are the facts:
    - Samsung started shipping Note 20 series without earbuds first
    https://www.phonearena.com/news/samsung-galaxy-note-20-ultra-earphones-box_id126508
    - Apple followed Samsung, but took one step more, Using your own wording "Apple aped Samsung"
    - A stupid sub-department of Samsung marketing which was not aware of the own strategy had made an ad mocking Apple
    - This is the reason why the ad was removed later

• Reply 28 of 38
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,661member
    Beats said:
    lkrupp said:
    So what about the outrage expressed in these forums when Apple announced this? Can we expect to hear from those same outraged posters castigating Samsung? I’m betting not. Will Samsung be accused of skullduggery like those same posters trashed Apple over? Just wondering.

Wasn't AvonB one of the iKnockoff defenders saying it didn't make sense for Sammy to remove these things?
    Why not check for yourself and quote whoever 'AvonB' is?  ;)

If you are referring to me, I don't remember saying that but just quote me and then we'll know for sure. 

Part of marketing is seizing the moment

Samsung has done that. It reminded people that the charger is in the box - today. That said, it didn't make a meal out of it. It was a dig at Apple. 

What it didn't do is make any kind of commitment on the subject. 

That's where the story ends. 

On an industry level, not having the charger in the box (something I have actually defended for years) makes sense but what is important is how it is done. 

It is ironic that, both solutions proving to be equal, Samsung is better placed to remove the charger than Apple (because there are already so many USB-C chargers in the Android world. 

Apple shipped complete junk 5W chargers for 10 years. A charger that is basically useless for the needs of iPhone 12 series users in 2020.

Apple chose to market the removal of the charger as an environmental move. That's opportunism too but let's not forget that's one of the reasons marketing exists. To spin things in a better light. 

• Reply 29 of 38
    Apple may not have been supplying USB -C chargers for a long time, however they have been selling computers with USB-C ports for years now. There was a big stink about apple supplying USB-A cables and USB-C computers. Well now no dongle needed. The MagSafe charger is an optional item, same with the any wireless charger. If you bought one, likely you have bought a multi port charger to go along to save hassle and space. To tout the environmental benefits isn’t spin. There is benefits all along the path for not including the charger. You have to keep in mind Apple sells tens of millions of iPhones. Little changes add up fast. 
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 38
    There is a song called "Same Song" which should be Samsung's theme song. It's by 2PAC which I presume stands for "Too Phony Apple Copier."

edited December 2020 Detnatorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 38
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    williamh said:
    Doesn’t anyone want to claim that Samsung should be forced to provide a charger?
    They will in France and parts of Brazil. Right?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Beats said:
    So Samsung will copy Apple again after mocking them?
    Karma --- I guess? Trolling at first, then doing what Apple did in the end...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 38
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    lkrupp said:

Apple shipped complete junk 5W chargers for 10 years. A charger that is basically useless for the needs of iPhone 12 series users in 2020.

Really?  I've never had one of the 5W chargers die or fail.  And they still charge an iPhone 12 just fine!

I suspect that most people just plug in at night and don't even care/know about the charger wattage.
    Fidonet127Xedronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 38
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,661member
    Apple may not have been supplying USB -C chargers for a long time, however they have been selling computers with USB-C ports for years now. There was a big stink about apple supplying USB-A cables and USB-C computers. Well now no dongle needed. The MagSafe charger is an optional item, same with the any wireless charger. If you bought one, likely you have bought a multi port charger to go along to save hassle and space. To tout the environmental benefits isn’t spin. There is benefits all along the path for not including the charger. You have to keep in mind Apple sells tens of millions of iPhones. Little changes add up fast. 
    It's definitely spin. There is no problem with that. It's even normal and logical.

Apple and everyone else could easily roll out new phones and major OS releases every two years instead of every year. People would probably hold onto phones for longer. The environment would probably see the benefit. That won't happen of course, and for obvious reasons. 

Apple could make the charger a BTO option and include it for free if you didn't already have one.

It could offer a take-back solution and allow purchasers of iPhone 12 series phones to get a modern charger in exchange for handing over an older one.

It chose to exclude it from the package altogether and charge for it separately.

Well, that's their decision but after shipping 5W chargers for over a decade in the very same conditions it now says it is trying to avoid, doesn't stand up to much scrutiny on an environmental level.

Given the fact that the 5W charger had not changed in over 10 years, this decision could have been taken many, many years ago with exactly the same reasoning. Apple knew that the vast majority of users were upgrading from existing iPhones and aready had a charger (or various chargers) . They still pumped out millions of them with every new phone, though.

That's life and so is wanting to spin things in a nicer light. That's what they are doing. It's normal. 

Now, we will see how many people stick with the old 5W chargers they have in drawers, or choose to buy a new 'fast' charger. 

That will truly tell us how many people are happy to charge an iPhone 12/12 Pro and get to just 32% after an hour. We will also see if the 'habit' (necessity?) of overnight charging dies out along with the 5W charger. 

muthuk_vanalingamMplsP
  • Reply 35 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    nicholfd said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    lkrupp said:

Really?  I've never had one of the 5W chargers die or fail.  And they still charge an iPhone 12 just fine!

I suspect that most people just plug in at night and don't even care/know about the charger wattage.
    There was nothing wrong with the quality of the charger; what I suspect s/he meant by ‘junk’ was in the 2nd sentence - 5w chargers are woefully undersized bu currently standards. This is a shortcoming that has been brought up and discussed on AI many times in the past. 

As Avon brought up, there are many inconsistencies in Apple’s spin (both with the current topic and with other changes they’ve made in the past. ) It’s actually not very unlike some of the current politicians - you give people a story that has some morsel of plausibility to it so people can keep believing. 
    jcs2305avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 36 of 38
    The 5W charger has never failed me. Nice, compact size. Works wonderful for overnight charging or or their devices. It is just an elitist attitude that relegates it to “junk.”  This same charger is what people received during the 3rd party trade in that Apple  had. Bring in a 3rd party charger, pay $10 and you would get an apple charger. Apple then recycles the old one. I brought in a noisy Samsung one. 
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Beats said:
    iKnockoff morons

Dude, as much as I agree with the sentiments in most of your posts, this "iKnockoff morons" thing is getting really, really long in the tooth.  Do you think you could let that phrase go anytime soon?
    edited December 2020 Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Well it was obvious they were going to do it. But I didn’t think they’d cave this fast. 
    ronnwatto_cobra