Apple debuts $549 AirPods Max over-ear headphones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 250
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    What do you guys think of that digital crown placement? It looks a bit off to me and seems like it's in a fiddly spot, have to reach to the top of your ear to adjust. I wonder if that was a downgrade from the sensors they were rumored to not have working in time? 
  • Reply 22 of 250
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I am sure these are aimed at professional studios, they will be followed next year by a lower-cost version for the great unwashed.
    Alex1Nspock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 250
    The only slightly odd thing to me is that it is not available in the only color of the product that it is named after. 
    Alex1Nspock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 250
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    tipoo said:
    What do you guys think of that digital crown placement? It looks a bit off to me and seems like it's in a fiddly spot, have to reach to the top of your ear to adjust. I wonder if that was a downgrade from the sensors they were rumored to not have working in time? 
    Yeah, that struck me as a bit odd having it on top, though I'm not sure I have a better suggestion; such a small control is probably going to be a bit awkward wherever you put it on a headphone.  I'm sure it'll be fine once you're used to it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 250
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Image shows detail of mesh textile in pink

So there is a right side and left side. Looks like the auto sensing which orientation it was on was also shelved. 
  • Reply 26 of 250
    The only slightly odd thing to me is that it is not available in the only color of the product that it is named after. 
    They're all two-tone, and the band on the silver ones is white, so that's the one that fits.

It's strange how the green ones have the inverse light/dark of the red, blue and black. Doesn't matters, obvs, just a bit strange.
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 27 of 250
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    MacPro said:
    I am sure these are aimed at professional studios, they will be followed next year by a lower-cost version for the great unwashed.

No mic? I can't use it to talk with my iPhone? The fact that it has active noise cancellation proves it has some sort of mic in it, but not one I can speak into?

It's labelled with L and R for the Left and Right sides. How are they going to market that in countries where English isn't known or spoken widely?
    Headphone manufacturers have managed to sell their 'phones with "L" and "R" labels internationally for seventy years. I'm pretty sure the market will be fine. 
    omar moralesmike1muthuk_vanalingampmhwilliamlondonronntokyojimurazorpitMplsPsvanstrom
  • Reply 28 of 250
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    crowley said:
    The Smart Case looks... unusual.
    Wonder if it comes in a 38DD?
    zeus423philboogierazorpitMplsPchristophbwatto_cobraCarnage
  • Reply 29 of 250
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I am sure it is fantastic so sure people will buy but the price is too stiff to comprehend for an average buyer/user.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 250
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    crowley said:
    Take a seat on the train, take out your podBra. 

Bask in the adoration of your fellow passengers. 

edited December 2020 williamlondonphilboogierazorpitAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 250
    spheric said:
    MacPro said:

No mic? I can't use it to talk with my iPhone? The fact that it has active noise cancellation proves it has some sort of mic in it, but not one I can speak into?

It's labelled with L and R for the Left and Right sides. How are they going to market that in countries where English isn't known or spoken widely?
    Headphone manufacturers have managed to sell their 'phones with "L" and "R" labels internationally for seventy years. I'm pretty sure the market will be fine. 
    AirPods and AirPods Pro have L and R on the stems.  If they vary that in non-english countries then that would probably be the answer for what they'll do for the AirPods Max.  Hardly a concern.
    mike1pmhsphericronnrazorpitsvanstromAlex1Nwatto_cobraCarnage
  • Reply 32 of 250
    Wow, what a price tag.  Looking forward to some reviews.  If the sound justifies the price then so be it, but half a grand for a pair of headphones better sound out of this world.
    GeorgeBMacharry wildchemengin1Alex1Nwatto_cobradavgreg
  • Reply 33 of 250
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member

MacPro said:
    Music studios have no use for Bluetooth headphones, except maybe for reference purposes โ€” you need to check your mixes on consumer-grade equipment to make sure they work across a variety of playback environments. 

The latency of Bluetooth audio makes it completely useless for recording, and the lossy compression of the audio stream means you're hearing everything through digital artefacting and noise masking algorithms, which is simply not an option for production.  
    GeorgeBMacequality72521harry wildCloudTalkintokyojimuphilboogierazorpitwelshdogAlex1NMacQuadra840av
  • Reply 34 of 250
    HiramAbif said:
    From Apple's website - "Charges with a Lightning connector"... ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™‚๏ธ
    It think it's genius. For anyone who has an iPhone (which is many hundreds of millions of a market segment), they don't have to buy a charger.
    pmhronnAlex1Nspock1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 250
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sdw2001 said:
    G
    Dude, please try reading the article. It has multiple mics.  And I'm pretty sure people can figure out what L and R mean.  ๐Ÿ™„
    Dude, it's illegal to sell products in some countries that are English Only, regardless of whether they can figure it out.
    Indeed.  

I remember that Apple was doing a lot of patenting around being able to detect which way round the headphones were being worn and then adjust the output accordingly.  

Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 250
    HiramAbif said:
    From Apple's website - "Charges with a Lightning connector"... ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™‚๏ธ
    It think it's genius. For anyone who has an iPhone (which is many hundreds of millions of a market segment), they don't have to buy a charger.
    It comes with a cable, so it could have used a USB-C port.  I find it a bit annoying that it doesn't, in my opinion Apple should have ditched Lightning two iPhones ago.
    chemengin1philboogiesvanstromAlex1NdavgregCarnage
  • Reply 37 of 250
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    crowley said:

Like a purse?
    zeus423williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 250
    crowley said:
    I can't purchase them because the CONTINUE button on the purchase screen is greyed out.
    Select a colour and whether you want engraving or not.

This guy is unreal.

muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonsvanstromn2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 250
    sdw2001 said:

Dude, please try reading the article. It has multiple mics.  And I'm pretty sure people can figure out what L and R mean.  ๐Ÿ™„
    Dude, it's illegal to sell products in some countries that are English Only, regardless of whether they can figure it out.

Then explain how everyone else is doing it since the dawn of time.
    muthuk_vanalingampmhfastasleepwilliamlondonronntokyojimurazorpitMplsPBeatssvanstrom
  • Reply 40 of 250
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    sdw2001 said:

And also despite being the most successful tech company in the world, Apple is too stupid to figure that out, eh?
    muthuk_vanalingampmhfastasleepwilliamlondonronnMplsPAlex1Nkiltedgreenspock1234watto_cobra