Apple debuts $549 AirPods Max over-ear headphones

Comments

• Reply 81 of 250
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    MacPro said:
    I am sure these are aimed at professional studios, they will be followed next year by a lower-cost version for the great unwashed.
    The sound is probably over-processed for professional studio reference, I'm thinking.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 250
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Do iPhones even have a good DAC for this kind of sound?
    razorpitsvanstrom
  • Reply 82 of 250
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    sevenfeet said:
    Looking over the description page at Apple.com, I looked closer at the volume knob and must wonder out loud what in the world were they thinking when they decided to put that closer to the BACK than the FRONT on top of the headphones? 

The volume knob will be THE MOST USED function of these headphones. And if a person is lying down on a pillow, as shown in their video/ad, the odds that the volume knob will be accidentally moved or triggered have increased hugely. And the physically awkward placement will also make it more difficult to reach in those cases when something very loud suddenly blasts over the headphones.

This is one of those slap yourself on the forehead moments. Form should never override function on something like headphones. 
    Here's another head-slapping problem with these, outside of the price as the competition (Bose, Sony) are $200 cheaper.....NO HEADPHONE JACK.

Now I know that Apple has moved away from headphone jacks in most of their products. But one of the key applications for this device is going to be airplanes (when we can all fly again safely). While you may have your iPhone, iPad or Mac with you for entertainment, most airlines have infotainment system screens in the seat back and how do you interface with all of them? A headphone jack.

This had to have been discussed with the design team. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this was deleted and would be an instant deal killer to get me to abandon my Bose QuietComfort headphones, regardless of whatever cool tech Apple has included with this, or how well they might sound. Also, audiophiles would want a headphone jack to connect to sound systems and bypass the limitations of Bluetooth for an analog experience.
    My Freebuds Studio have no headphone jack either and apparently the USB-C port cannot be used with an adapter.

I agree with you though that a headphone jack would have been a very useful option (more power going into the headphones, future proofing BT etc).

At this price it would have been nice but perhaps an adapter will work with these. 
  • Reply 84 of 250
    pmhpmh Posts: 18member
    dewme said:
    No mic? I can't use it to talk with my iPhone? The fact that it has active noise cancellation proves it has some sort of mic in it, but not one I can speak into?

It's labelled with L and R for the Left and Right sides. How are they going to market that in countries where English isn't known or spoken widely?
    You're almost right. Apple should have simply removed the L/R entirely and made the right ear cup Green and the left ear cup Red, thereby conforming the internationally unambiguous nautical Rules of the Road for Starboard and Port ship lighting and navigation channel markers. This would prevent rules compliant users around the world from donning the headphones incorrectly, and all disputes could be settled by the local Coast Guard in the affected countries. Wa la - no more language related ambiguity! How does that sound, matey? 

Except that the buoy colors are inverted between North America & Europe. I learned "Red to Right Returning" in the US. It's inverted in France.

Here have a xkcd on adding a new standard to federate 34 existing standards... Creating 35 standards.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 85 of 250
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    ajl said:
    629 euros right here.
    You don't say where "here" is, but in the EU the retail price would also always include ~20% VAT, right?

(In the USA posted prices never include sales tax, because sales taxes are a combination of state and local rates that can vary widely by locality. The range is from 0% in New Hampshire, to over 9% in Tennessee.)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 86 of 250
    Xed said:
    I can't wait for people to complain that Apple didn't use user-upgradable memory foam.
    You're kidding (I assume), but I do hope there is a way to replace the foam.  That will wear out much faster than most of the other components.

I just saw an ad yesterday for a Braun shaver where they give the example of a dude who got his shaver repaired for the first time after 40 years "and we could repair it because we design for the long term" (or something like that).  Shots fired, Apple (and everyone else).
    AI_liaswatto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 87 of 250
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Xed said:
    I can't wait for people to complain that Apple didn't use user-upgradable memory foam.
    You're kidding (I assume), but I do hope there is a way to replace the foam.  That will wear out much faster than most of the other components.

I just saw an ad yesterday for a Braun shaver where they give the example of a dude who got his shaver repaired for the first time after 40 years "and we could repair it because we design for the long term" (or something like that).  Shots fired, Apple (and everyone else).
    In the video it shows that the ear pads are removable and connect via magnetism.
    ronnrandominternetpersonwatto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 88 of 250
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    tipoo said:
    What do you guys think of that digital crown placement? It looks a bit off to me and seems like it's in a fiddly spot, have to reach to the top of your ear to adjust. I wonder if that was a downgrade from the sensors they were rumored to not have working in time? 

That's the best position. 

If they the controls on the bottom then it would be awkward to roll the control because your wrist would be in an awkward position

If they put them on the surface of the can then you'd have to search for the control with your fingertip, especially since there isn't a raised surface to guide you.

If they put them on top of the headband you'd look like Stan Laurel while trying to operate it.

They've put the control on the top where it's easier to hit without being able to see it.

ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 89 of 250
    pmhpmh Posts: 18member
    Xed said:
    It's labelled with L and R for the Left and Right sides. How are they going to market that in countries where English isn't known or spoken widely?
    I'm not seeing a problem. Are you suggesting that they shouldn't use L and R?

Why not look at what headphones use right now? I looked at the French pages for AirPods Max and they still show L and R despite that languages having different words for left and right, as I recall.

All I've ever seen is L and R so it's either universally understand or they use a different label if and when they sell headphones in another country.

The most important question that should've crossed your mind before posting is what has Apple been doing for the hundreds of millions of headphones they've been selling for decades.

Don't listen to the troll claiming that using L & R is illegal. Yes, there are countries that have legislated that all documentation is to be delivered in the local language. It doesn't force labels to be conformant: no D/G instead of L/R in France. Nor are these laws applied systematically. I've installed software used by the French presidency & even though the delivery and general use documentation is in French, the reference documentation is still in English.
    mike1ronnwilliamlondonwatto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 90 of 250
    No mic? I can't use it to talk with my iPhone? The fact that it has active noise cancellation proves it has some sort of mic in it, but not one I can speak into?

Did you read the article, watch the video, or look at Apple's site?  Clearly states it has a built-in microphone to answer iPhone calls or invoke Siri.

This is a quote from the article, "Beam-forming microphones that block out ambient noise and focus on the user's voice are implemented for Siri and voice calls to enhance clarity."

Guess it's just easier to complain in the comments...
    fastasleepRayz2016mike1ronnuraharawilliamlondonkiltedgreenwatto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 91 of 250

I can't purchase them because the CONTINUE button on the purchase screen is greyed out. But I just noticed that the limit of HomePod Minis has gone up from 2 to 10+, so I'd like to order 4 of them and an AirPod Studio if the site lets me purchase one.
    You have to choose or not choose engraving before you can continue.  Almost caught me, too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 92 of 250
    DAalseth said:
    My pet peeve about this site: AI never (or rarely) provides a clear, obvious link to the actual, official product page.  For example, the first sentence says "Apple has released the AirPod Max" but neither "Apple" nor "AirPods Max" link to https://www.apple.com/airpods-max/ ;  Annoyingly the only link is to another AI article that also doesn't link to Apple's site.  Even the pricing matrix on that page (which provides links to half a dozen retail sites) doesn't link to the Apple store.

It's 2020, we shouldn't have to manually open a new tab and type in apple.com.
    I’ve noticed that as well, and not just on AI. A number of sites seem to have forgotten how to link to what they’re talking about. It’s annoying, especially if it isn’t a big name (Apple) brand. 

Second peeve is when they do link but only to the Amazon page, not the manufacturer. Seriously there’a almost always multiple channels for things.

I assume it's because they get money from Amazon for sending you there.
    ronnrazorpitrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 93 of 250
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Clearly most of you aren't familiar with high-end headphones. They can range from 2-10x the cost of these Apple headphones, easy.

It's comical the way some idiots pick one feature of these headphones then compare their little POS headsets and claim some kind of victory.

And suggesting that these have to be binned when the battery dies? Idiocy. Replacing batteries in AirPods isn't really very practical, and comparing that to replacing the batteries in the Max is again another exercise in stupidity.

These are pricey for the casual listener. Not all that pricey when compared to a litany of high-end headphones, if these live up to the claims. 
    aderuttermike1ronnuraharawilliamlondonrandominternetpersonJapheykiltedgreenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 94 of 250
    AI_lias said:
    Do iPhones even have a good DAC for this kind of sound?
    Yes. And so do modern MacBooks. I stopped using an external DAC a few years back.
    AI_liasronnwatto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 95 of 250
    XedXed Posts: 2,566member
    Xed said:

I was kidding, but then it occurred to me that the memory foam might be user-replaceable. Even if the foam holds up, one may want to remove it to clean without risking harm to the electronics.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 96 of 250
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    crowley said:
    I can't purchase them because the CONTINUE button on the purchase screen is greyed out.
    Select a colour and whether you want engraving or not.
    Oh. I did select a colour but I didn't know I had to click on anything else. Thanks. I wonder how many other people are going to fail to purchase them because of this "feature" of the website.
    Most people are intelligent enough.
    mike1ronnwilliamlondonrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 97 of 250
    avon b7 said:
    sevenfeet said:
    Looking over the description page at Apple.com, I looked closer at the volume knob and must wonder out loud what in the world were they thinking when they decided to put that closer to the BACK than the FRONT on top of the headphones? 

The volume knob will be THE MOST USED function of these headphones. And if a person is lying down on a pillow, as shown in their video/ad, the odds that the volume knob will be accidentally moved or triggered have increased hugely. And the physically awkward placement will also make it more difficult to reach in those cases when something very loud suddenly blasts over the headphones.

This is one of those slap yourself on the forehead moments. Form should never override function on something like headphones. 
    Here's another head-slapping problem with these, outside of the price as the competition (Bose, Sony) are $200 cheaper.....NO HEADPHONE JACK.

Now I know that Apple has moved away from headphone jacks in most of their products. But one of the key applications for this device is going to be airplanes (when we can all fly again safely). While you may have your iPhone, iPad or Mac with you for entertainment, most airlines have infotainment system screens in the seat back and how do you interface with all of them? A headphone jack.

This had to have been discussed with the design team. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this was deleted and would be an instant deal killer to get me to abandon my Bose QuietComfort headphones, regardless of whatever cool tech Apple has included with this, or how well they might sound. Also, audiophiles would want a headphone jack to connect to sound systems and bypass the limitations of Bluetooth for an analog experience.
    My Freebuds Studio have no headphone jack either and apparently the USB-C port cannot be used with an adapter.

I agree with you though that a headphone jack would have been a very useful option (more power going into the headphones, future proofing BT etc).

At this price it would have been nice but perhaps an adapter will work with these. 
    C'mon guys, read the product release. There's a lightning to 3.5 mm jack accessory cord avail for wired use on airplanes. Of course, this is Apple, the only company that wouldn't include a $1 adapter cable like that with a $549 set of 'phones... no, that cable will cost you an extra $35. 
    marzetta7muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonrazorpit80s_Apple_Guysvanstrom
  • Reply 98 of 250
    I wonder what these will sound like plugged in to a PS5 DualSense controller (with the 3.5mm to lightning adaptor).

watto_cobra
  • Reply 99 of 250
    sevenfeet said:

Yes. There. Is.  It's the lightening connector.  Apple sells an optional cable with Lightening on one end, and 1/8" stereo male on the other end:  Lightning to 3.5 mm Audio Cable (1.2m) - White
    anantksundaramronnwilliamlondonwatto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 100 of 250

What is the best digit for turning a dial?

The thumb.

Where has Apple put the dial?

Where 99% of the world's phone-using population will be used to placing their thumb.

And the dial is less likely to be moved if its on top of the can than if it's on the side.

And that's assuming that Apple hasn't included a sensor to detect that there's a digit on the dial while it's turning.

StrangeDaysanantksundaramronnwilliamlondonwatto_cobra