Apple releases $35 bi-directional Lightning to 3.5mm Audio Cable

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has quietly added a Lightning to 3.5mm bi-directional audio cable to its online Apple Store, a $35 accessory that can be used with the just-launched AirPods Max.

Surfacing in the online Apple Store on Tuesday and appearing as a recommended item when ordering the AirPods Max, the Lightning to 3.5mm Audio Cable is a fairly straightforward product. Measuring 1.2 meters (3.9 foot) in length, the cable has a 3.5mm headphone jack on one end, and a Lightning connector on the other.

Apple advises it can be used to connect the AirPods Max and Beats Solo Pro headphones to 3.5mm audio sources, which would enable the personal audio accessories to work with hardware that doesn't offer wireless connectivity. It would also make the AirPods Max usable with the headphone jacks supplied in modern airplane seats, an industry that doesn't like passengers using wireless connectivity in general.

The cable can also be used for other purposes, including connecting an iPhone or iPad to an audio-in port on a home stereo or a vehicle, again if there isn't network or wireless connectivity. As a bi-directional cable, it can be used with both audio-in and audio-out ports, and so can be potentially used to record audio to iOS devices.

Available in black or white options, the Lightning to 3.5mm Audio Cable is priced at $35.
dewme

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    This isn't new. It's existed since the Beats Solo Pro and is cheaper on Amazon.
    anantksundaramjediorange
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Is it me or is Apple getting ridiculous with their prices? 
    razorpitwilliamlondonchemengin1tokyojimumuthuk_vanalingamelijahgsedicivalvoleTheObannonFileMplsPanantksundaram
  • Reply 3 of 28
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    seankill said:
    At a minimum you have at least one other person that agrees with you.
    williamlondonright_said_fredmuthuk_vanalingamlkruppsedicivalvoleTheObannonFileapplguydysamoriabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 4 of 28
    razorpit said:
    seankill said:
    At a minimum you have at least one other person that agrees with you.
    And it's such a joy for the rest of us when you all come into the forums to express that same repeated and stale sentiment over and over. ;-)

Just like being back home at MacRumors 10 years ago, oh the nostalgia.
    right_said_fredStrangeDayslkruppRayz2016philboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 28
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    And you'll still need to use a dongle for a wired connection to an iPhone because it doesn't have a 3.5mm jack, and there's no Lightning to Lightning cable available.

Lightning needs to go away already.
    raybolkruppapplguy
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Monstieur said:
    This isn't new. It's existed since the Beats Solo Pro and is cheaper on Amazon.
    This is a new SKU today. The old one wasn't bidirectional, AFAIK.
    edited December 2020 rayboivanhTheObannonFileronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 28
    crowley said:
    And you'll still need to use a dongle for a wired connection to an iPhone because it doesn't have a 3.5mm jack, and there's no Lightning to Lightning cable available.

Wires?  Where we're going, we don't need wires.
    StrangeDaysronn
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Hmm. Does the Lighting to USB-C cable included let you listen through the cord to your MacBook Pro vs. wireless? Will I need this for my MBP?
    raybo
  • Reply 9 of 28
    crowley said:

The cable provides 3.5 audio in or out thru the lightning connector. It doesn’t require a lightning to lightning connection.
    roundaboutnowDancingMonkeyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    crowley said:

You're saying you would choose to double-adapt wireless headphones to your iPhone, rather than use them, you know, wirelessly? Okaaay.... Ima go out on a limb then and say these aren't for you, and that's OK.
    edited December 2020 williamlondonRayz2016ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 28
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    crowley said:

You're saying you would choose to double-adapt wireless headphones to your iPhone, rather than use them, you know, wirelessly? Okaaay.... Ima go out on a limb then and say these aren't for you, and that's OK.
    There are those who claim a wireless connection can never be good enough. The same crowd thinks lossless is the only true religion even though they couldn’t hear the difference in an anechoic chamber if it came up and bit them. 
    williamlondonronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 28
    n2macs said:
    crowley said:

The cable provides 3.5 audio in or out thru the lightning connector. It doesn’t require a lightning to lightning connection.
    Good luck inserting a 3.5mm jack into an iPhone 12.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 28

crowley said:

I have wireless over ear headphones, and actually I'm probably going to be looking to replace them fairly soon.  I'd have considered the AirPods Max, but batteries run out, and I always want a cable backup, which also works for connecting to some of my other devices.  Lightning just doesn't make the cut.

So no, turns out they aren't for me, though they could have been if Apple would let Lightning go.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 28
    crowley said:

Are you asking this to power your phone? Belkin has made years ago when the lightning connect arrived. You could connect lighting to you phone, then there was 3.5mm on the bottom along with another lightning connector.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 28
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    seankill said:

Steve Ballmer agrees!

ronnlkrupp
  • Reply 16 of 28
    crowley said:

crowley said:

crowley said:

I have wireless over ear headphones, and actually I'm probably going to be looking to replace them fairly soon.  I'd have considered the AirPods Max, but batteries run out, and I always want a cable backup, which also works for connecting to some of my other devices.  Lightning just doesn't make the cut.

So no, turns out they aren't for me, though they could have been if Apple would let Lightning go.
    These headphones do not work without a charged battery.  They cannot be used as passive headphones... So a Lightening -> Lightening cable doesn't make much sense.

For the design/purpose of these headphones, Lightening makes the perfect cut.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    crowley said:

You're saying you would choose to double-adapt wireless headphones to your iPhone, rather than use them, you know, wirelessly? Okaaay.... Ima go out on a limb then and say these aren't for you, and that's OK.a
    I regularly walk into Tesco, scream “I don’t like asparagus!”  then walk out again, so I see where he’s coming from. 
    ronnroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 28
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    lkrupp said:
    crowley said:

There are those who claim a wireless connection can never be good enough. The same crowd thinks lossless is the only true religion even though they couldn’t hear the difference in an anechoic chamber if it came up and bit them. 
    Then you have yet to listen to the true lossless sound.  Rather I would way, you never experienced listening to music in its all spectrum. As of this time, wireless can only deliver maybe 10% of what a truly capable audiophile wired IEM like IE 800 S or headphones like HD 820 can deliver. And anyone can hear the difference if try them out. Wireless has a long way to go. At this pace, I am projecting about 15+ years before I see something reasonably good wireless earphones. 
    edited December 2020 muthuk_vanalingammobird
  • Reply 19 of 28
    nicholfd said:
    crowley said:

crowley said:

crowley said:

These headphones do not work without a charged battery.  They cannot be used as passive headphones... 
    Ok, well that's another reason they don't make the cut then.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    MaxLe0p0ldMaxLe0p0ld Posts: 31unconfirmed, member
    Now
    we need a Lightning to Lightning Cable for iPhone to Apple 'AirPods Max'

A Lightning to USB-C Cable for the iPad Pro, we have already.

If Apple would have used a USB-C Port for Charging and Connection, it would have been easier.

Apple should allow to Charge and use the Headphones at the same time - like I can with my Jabra Evolve 65 Stereo BT Headset.

Contrary to the Sony WH-CH700N, which can only be charged or be used cordless via BT - but not both...

MplsP