Apple Fitness+ workouts arriving on December 14

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited December 2020
Apple Fitness+, the iPhone maker's workout app offering Apple Watch-connected video workouts, will be launching on December 14 with a collection of 10 workout types.

First introduced during the "Time Flies" event, Apple Fitness is an app meant to allow users to work out at home or wherever they are, with the added bonus of live feedback. Workouts will be played as a video on an iPhone, iPad, or Apple TV, with the studio workout hosted by a roster of trainers.

Rather than just providing a video stream to watch and follow along with, Apple Fitness+ will also keep track of a user's progress by tapping into sensors on the Apple Watch. Metrics from the Apple Watch will be displayed on the screen as an overlay, so users can easily see how their body is coping without needing to look away from the larger screen to their wearable device.

The data will also be used to ensure the user is sticking to the workout routine being shown, to keep movements in time with the instructor. Notifications about reaching fitness goals on their rings and other items will also be displayed.

For some workouts, including HIIT, Treadmill, Cycling, and Rowing, an optional Burn Bar will show onscreen, comparing the user's effort against anyone else who has previously completed the same workout. This may benefit some competitive users, as they try to get to the higher end of the bar.

A new tab will appear in the Fitness app dedicated to the Fitness+ workouts, offering users the chance to explore what's on offer. These also include Getting Started videos for the Rowing, Cycling, and Treadmill workouts, to help with setting up equipment and advising on proper form and technique.

Activity Sharing is also available, so family and friends can see others complete workouts, while workouts can also be shared to the user's social media accounts.

As music is a core part of a workout, users can select between nine different musical styles to listen to throughout the workout, and can also look at the full workout playlist before commencing. While an Apple Music subscription isn't required to listen to the music in Fitness+, subscribers will be able to access songs played and entire playlists via the service.

The first wave of exercises offered in the app consist of:
  • High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
  • Strength
  • Yoga
  • Dance
  • Core
  • Cycling
  • Treadmill (for running and walking)
  • Rowing
  • Mindful Cooldown.
Many of the workouts are able to be performed anywhere the user has space and time, using their Apple devices, with most not needing any extra equipment or simply a set of dumbbells. For routines requiring specific equipment, such as a treadmill, exercises can be done on hardware from any manufacturer.

Workouts are offered in increments of 10, 20, 30, and 45 minutes, allowing users to have a long workout or a quick one if time is a pressure.

Apple Fitness+ will cost $9.99 per month or $79.99 per year, is also available as part of the Apple One subscription, and is offered with Family Sharing enabled. Existing Apple Watch owners will be able to use it free for one month, with three months available for new purchases of the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

The app will require a combination of iOS 14.3, watchOS 7.2, iPadOS 14.3, or tvOS 14.3 to function.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Why treadmill but not outdoor running? Your watch can track your distance and speed via gps, seems a weird omission.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 11
    saarek said:
    Why treadmill but not outdoor running? Your watch can track your distance and speed via gps, seems a weird omission.
    It's not a weird omission.  If you are running outdoors, you should be focused on your run and what's around you,  not looking at fitness training session on your iPhone / iPad.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    saarek said:

Yeh, I avoid the mind numbing dreadmill -- if only because it mostly only works the cardiorespiratory system.   It doesn't do much for legs.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    The National Institute on Aging recommends 4 types of exercise:
    --  Aerobic
    --  Strength
    --  Flexibility
    --  Balance and stability

The first two are pretty common and easy to come by.
    The last two are harder to find but perhaps more important to a senior as without them the first two are not of much help.   I hope Apple incorporates all 4 into their program.  depending on how they implement their "core" training they may have hit 3 of the 4.

edited December 2020
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    PassingBy said:
    saarek said:
    It's not a weird omission.  If you are running outdoors, you should be focused on your run and what's around you,  not looking at fitness training session on your iPhone / iPad.  
    Pretty much. 

They could’ve done some audio-only prompts I guess, but there are loads of running apps that already do that. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Rayz2016 said:
    PassingBy said:
    saarek said:
    Pretty much. 

They could’ve done some audio-only prompts I guess, but there are loads of running apps that already do that. 

I'm thinking that Apple could up that game:   with all the information they have -- you're fitness level and past history of workouts plus all the real time data like heart rate, pace, elevation, steps per minute, time, distance, etc...they would know when you're dogging it and when you're in the zone.   Plus, of course, they could offer one of the pre-packaged training programs designed for specific purposes (like training for a half) -- and then add the real time stuff.   It could be a potent combination -- as close as one could get to a couch running beside you.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Does anyone know how these exercise gurus got to be highlighted in Fitness+ service?

I"ve searched around the Apple site but have drawn a blank.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    PassingBy said:
    saarek said:
    They’ve got personal trainers, plenty of scope for audio based prompts and a video congratulations at the end.

There’s so much data on the watch that they could use on a jog to provide metrics and track health overtime, so yes, an omission.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    saarek said:
    PassingBy said:
    saarek said:
    They’ve got personal trainers, plenty of scope for audio based prompts and a video congratulations at the end.

There’s so much data on the watch that they could use on a jog to provide metrics and track health overtime, so yes, an omission.
    I thought your first post was silly at first, but the more I thought about it I realized you’re right. They could easily do audio only workouts over AirPods and Watch. It doesn’t HAVE to be video only. Besides outdoor training, it would be a benefit at the gym for those of us who don’t want to be THAT guy. But, it’s still early days... hopefully that capability will be added later. 
    GeorgeBMacsaarek
  • Reply 10 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    The National Institute on Aging recommends 4 types of exercise:
    --  Aerobic
    --  Strength
    --  Flexibility
    --  Balance and stability

The first two are pretty common and easy to come by.
    The last two are harder to find but perhaps more important to a senior as without them the first two are not of much help.   I hope Apple incorporates all 4 into their program.  depending on how they implement their "core" training they may have hit 3 of the 4.

Yoga, dance, core, HIIT...to start. It sounds like there will be plenty of options to develop flexibility and stability for all fitness and age levels. Also, the opportunity to try a new activity to see if it’s something you like. Plus, this service will evolve over time as Apple accumulates feedback and data to round out the workout types. Personally, I’m hoping to see some Plyo and Pilates added at some point. 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Haha. Decided to try it for the free trial. My wife is user of a competing product, so I was curious how she'd like it.

Her first workout in, and the thing simply...freezes. No error, just a freeze screen. No option to save or restart. You simply have to force quit...and then if you reopen the workout, you can't scroll back to where you were. Mid workout, on the first tryout...and that's about the worst experience you can have. Got say if that's the kind of product Apple is rolling out, it seems like it is a lot like Apple Maps, and they've got a dud on their hands. Good thing there's a free trial. This sill be a tough, tough sell to my wife. She was pretty disappointed. Good thing they offer it free.