Logitech releases HomeKit Secure Video-enabled smart doorbell

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
Logitech has announced a new smart video doorbell that is one of the few to take advantage of Apple's HomeKit Secure Video features including iCloud storage and facial recognition.

Logitech's new HomeKit Secure Video doorbell

The new Logitech Circle View Wired Doorbell is very similar to its Circle View camera in that it is designed to work exclusively with HomeKit Secure Video and iCloud. It has a compact black profile with a TrueView 160-degree field of view. It has integrated color night vision as well as HDR. Logitech says it features "head-to-toe" HD video so that you can capture a visitor's face as well as any packages placed on your porch.

A light on the front of the doorbell lights up when it is dark out so that visitors can see the doorbell as they approach. It is also weather-resistant to protect against rain and snow.

In the box Logitech also includes a chime kit and the wiring to connect to your existing wired doorbell.

With HomeKit Secure Video, you are able to create motion zones so that cars or other motion doesn't inadvertently set of the camera and when the doorbell is pressed your HomePod (or HomePod minis) will chime and a preview of who is at your door will show on your Apple TV.

HomeKit Secure Video also allows you to store your footage in iCloud. With Apple's 200GB plan you can access a single camera and 10 days of history and with the 2TB plan you can have up to five camera's recordings.

The Logitech Circle View Wired Doorbell is currently available from Apple for $199.
lightvox88

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Darn.
    Is battery life the reason why none of the wireless doorbells are HK compatible? Even Arlo's new wireless doorbell cameras does not seem to be. Even after I was told by them that it was.
    edited December 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mike1 said:
    Darn.
    Is battery life the reason why none of the wireless doorbells are HK compatible? Even Arlo's new wireless doorbell cameras does not seem to be. Even after I was told by them that it was.
    I don’t think that has anything to do with it. Do manufacturers have to pay a licensing fee to use HomeKit? That might have an effect. That this product uses your existing doorbell power supply is nice.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    lkrupp said:
    mike1 said:
    Darn.
    I don’t think that has anything to do with it. Do manufacturers have to pay a licensing fee to use HomeKit? That might have an effect. That this product uses your existing doorbell power supply is nice.
    $99 a year to be a part of the MFi program + either $4 or $8 per device. 

patchythepiratekurai_kagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    lkrupp said:
    mike1 said:
    Darn.
    I'm sure, but in the case of Arlo, the wired doorbell is HK compatible, but the wire-free is not. Others all seem to be hardwired only. Would love the doorbell to tie into HK, but unfortunately, there is no doorbell wiring in my house.
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mike1 said:
    Darn.
    I don't think apple allows true wireless for HomeKit compatibility. They can connect wirelessly, but have to be powered by wire. Guessing a security thing.

The wireless cameras that can be used all connect to a powered base station.

edited December 2020 george kaplanpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    5 ghz WiFi connections allowed. No more router voodoo needed during installation because the device requires 2.4 ghz alone.
    kurai_kagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Will AI be doing a review on this?

A wired doorbell is the thing I've been waiting for, but I haven't seen a compelling entry so far.  And Ring is absolutely out of the question.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Housing design tends to lag pretty far behind the times.  My house is about 17 years old now and has a recess for a CRT television, which was already going out of fashion 5 years before the house was built.  Doorbell placement in many homes is tied to the convenience of the hardware location, and in many homes that hardware resides in the garage, which translates to a wall besides the door.  Wireless doorbells allow for more optimal placement and better viewing angles.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Does anyone know of a store that might ship outside the US, to the UK? It hasn't launched here for some reason, but there's not really any other options.