AirPods Max delivery dates begin slipping, some into 2021

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
Shipping times for the recently announced AirPods Max are already starting to extend, with estimated delivery times for some models slipping well into 2021.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Apple debuted the AirPods Max via press release on Tuesday. The $549 pair of premium, over-ear headphones features high-performance audio reproduction, Apple's H1 chip, and active noise cancellation.

Just a few hours after launch, some models already appear to be selling out. Delivery times for the "Sky Blue" AirPods Max model have extended to 12 to 14 weeks, meaning users who order them now will receive their headphones in March 2021.

The Pink models show an estimated delivery date of Jan. 15 through Jan. 22, while the Green variant will arrive Jan. 8 through Jan. 15.

Buyers who want to the AirPods Max to arrive before the holidays have two options: Space Gray and Silver. As of writing, both models show a delivery date of Dec. 15 through Dec. 17. Choosing an engraving pushes that date to Dec. 21.

In some cases, however, ship times are decreased when selecting an engraving option.

All AirPods Max models are currently unavailable for in-store pickup, though it's likely that Apple retail locations will begin receiving stock on Tuesday, Dec. 15.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I was about to say they're too expensive.

Instead, I'll just STFU

iOSDevSWEStrangeDayslkruppanantksundaramronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    I got to the price only when I was about to check out!

Anyway, mine are expected between 21st and 28th. I'm really looking forward to this because headphones have been on my list for a while now. 

These will replace my AirPods Pro. 
    ronnphilboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 21
    There you go.  That's why Apple didn't announce these before Black Friday.  They knew they didn't have the supply necessary for a real rollout.
    muthuk_vanalingamSpamSandwichlkruppGG1anantksundaramNotoriousDEVwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    There you go.  That's why Apple didn't announce these before Black Friday.  They knew they didn't have the supply necessary for a real rollout.
    “I hate these new headphones! They’re so expensive! And now they’re sold out... I didn’t want them anyway!” ;)
    lkruppGG1anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    I’m curious how these will stack up against other premium headphones. As these seem to be a bit on the expensive side - I wonder if the differences will be very noticeable. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    I’m curious how these will stack up against other premium headphones. As these seem to be a bit on the expensive side - I wonder if the differences will be very noticeable. 
    Considering the amount of hearing damage so many of us have as a result of attending concerts, I doubt it’ll be very noticeable to the older folks among us.
    lkruppGG1viclauyyc
  • Reply 7 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Considering the amount of hearing damage so many of us have as a result of attending concerts, I doubt it’ll be very noticeable to the older folks among us.
    When he was a teenager my oldest son attended a Metallica concert and stood near the speaker stack. Nuff said, he’s almost deaf in one ear.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

There is no such thing as an objective comparison when it comes to sound. Different people hear differently. When I was young I could walk into a television store and clealy hear the flyback transformers singing at 17kHz and above. Some of you young-ins probably don't even know what a flyback transformer is and what they had to do with television sets in the 60s.
    anantksundaramronnphilboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21
    normangnormang Posts: 118member
    With all thats going on right now, one would think Apple would try and be a little more sensitive to economic conditions, they sure are about closing stores for a covid case at the drop of a hat.  To release a set of headphones that may be close to, or are the most expensive ever seems a little short sited.  Assuming at least a 50% markup if not more, I think Apple could have easily priced these more reasonably.   Same for the ridiculous pricing on the Magsafe charger... 

Sound is so speculative, no one's ears or hearing is the same, one mans wow is another's crummy...  Doesn't seem to make sense at all to toss half grand Plus for headphones..
  • Reply 10 of 21
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I wonder how the AirPods Max will compare to the Bose QuietComfort 35 headphones. 
  • Reply 11 of 21
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    bluefire1 said:
    I wonder how the AirPods Max will compare to the Bose QuietComfort 35 headphones. 
    You know Bose QC 35 is just good but not a great headset right? I would compare it with Master & Dynamic MW65 instead.
    Tbh, I don’t see the value of AirPod Max at this price. I’ll stick with my $160 M&D MH40 Wireless.
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 12 of 21
    lkrupp said:
    When he was a teenager my oldest son attended a Metallica concert and stood near the speaker stack. Nuff said, he’s almost deaf in one ear.
    Because I got free tickets, I went to a Guns ‘N’ Roses concert (many years ago). It was literally the loudest sound I’ve ever been exposed to, despite me bringing and wearing industrial grade earplugs, I had ringing ears for days afterward. 

At that same concert, I saw people near the speakers at the front of the stage and I still shudder to imagine the damage that was being done.
    edited December 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    So what else is new: the whiners are let down yet again by the imperviousness of Apple users to their caterwauling about the price.

Aaahhhhh.... so wonderfully, satisfyingly predictable.
    marklarkronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    bluefire1 said:
    Well they are superseded. I think the Bose 700 and Sony XM4 are the current benchmarks for wireless ANC over ears. What does the extra USD$200 and extra weight compared with those get you?
    There will be the features the H1 chips get you, which are worth something, but really at these prices it comes down to ANC performance and sound quality.
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 15 of 21
    bluefire1 said:
    Bose 35 already lost the crown to the Sony xm4 for ANC. Musics wise, Sony win a little bit. Sony xm3, which I own, is about as good as Bose 35. Sony XM4 don’t have many breakthroughs but it is more refined especially in the noise canceling.

I think Sony XM4 is hard to beat for Apple. I have AirPods Pro. For the same price there are better options in term of sound. 
  • Reply 16 of 21
    normang said:
    With all thats going on right now, one would think Apple would try and be a little more sensitive to economic conditions, they sure are about closing stores for a covid case at the drop of a hat.  To release a set of headphones that may be close to, or are the most expensive ever seems a little short sited.  Assuming at least a 50% markup if not more, I think Apple could have easily priced these more reasonably.   Same for the ridiculous pricing on the Magsafe charger... 

Sound is so speculative, no one's ears or hearing is the same, one mans wow is another's crummy...  Doesn't seem to make sense at all to toss half grand Plus for headphones..
    You know people really have choices not to buy any apple products or anything that you think it is expensive. Most people is grown up and able to make a logical decision. Not to mention there are thousands of similar products you can choose from other companies. 

NO ONE FORCE YOU TO BUY FROM APPLE.   Grown up 

Why you don’t complain Ferrari or private jet is so expensive. In this economy down time, the manufacturers should lower the price? Because it is for different market! 
    anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:
    Because I got free tickets, I went to a Guns ‘N’ Roses concert (many years ago). It was literally the loudest sound I’ve ever been exposed to, despite me bringing and wearing industrial grade earplugs, I had ringing ears for days afterward. 

At that same concert, I saw people near the speakers at the front of the stage and I still shudder to imagine the damage that was being done.
    When I was in undergrad, the dorm set up the cafeteria in the evenings as a quiet study space for finals. One guy came down to study and had his headphones up so loud everyone could tell exactly what song he was listening to. Someone asked him to turn them down, but I wondered what the point of going to a quiet study space is when you have music that loud anyway?

There's been plenty written about hearing loss from headphones, too. What bothers me is that while many devices (Apple included) have an option to limit the sound, all any of them do is either keep you from turning the sound up past 6 or simply drop all the sound by 10-20db. None of them actually limit the sound at higher levels while maintaining it at lower levels.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I was out running the other day and my Apple Watch beeped and the volume dropped about a half a spin.

I looked at the watch and the screen said it hat dropped the volume to protect my hearing. 

I call it the RuPaul Warning. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member

viclauyyc said:
    normang said:

You know people really have choices not to buy any apple products or anything that you think it is expensive. Most people is grown up and able to make a logical decision. Not to mention there are thousands of similar products you can choose from other companies. 

NO ONE FORCE YOU TO BUY FROM APPLE.   Grown up 

Why you don’t complain Ferrari or private jet is so expensive. In this economy down time, the manufacturers should lower the price? Because it is for different market! 
    And this is a forum for sharing opinions. no one forces you to read them or respond by calling someone immature for having an opinion.

Every time Apple releases a new product there's an initial rush from the reviewers, Apple-philes and early adopters. Actual demand remains to be seen. The fact that delivery times are already slipping probably says more about supply than demand.

I have to say I'm surprised at the number of people that are willing to shell out over $550 for a pair of headphones not just sight-unseen (unheard?), but before anyone has actually used or reviewed them. As many people have already mentioned, sound is a very subjective and personal experience. With an iPhone you basically know what you're getting. Headphones - not so much. 

As for the cost - there are headphones that are more expensive and plenty that are less. More significantly, there are also plenty that cost over $200 less that are universally agreed to be excellent both in terms of sound quality and noise cancellation. Time will tell whether the extra features Apple adds will be worth paying twice as much.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 21
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:

There's been plenty written about hearing loss from headphones, too. What bothers me is that while many devices (Apple included) have an option to limit the sound, all any of them do is either keep you from turning the sound up past 6 or simply drop all the sound by 10-20db. None of them actually limit the sound at higher levels while maintaining it at lower levels.  
    I guess it is giving users the choice and responsibility. All hell would break loose if headphone manufacturers throttled the volume. You know, Volume-Gate.

The good thing is that you get children's headphones that are limited on the upper level. I bought these for my kids.
    watto_cobra