Apple debuts $549 AirPods Max over-ear headphones

Comments

• Reply 161 of 250

ferali said:
    iMi said:
    If these were priced more competitively against the likes of the excellent Sony WH-1000XM4, I would have already placed an order but I think Apple has missed the mark on the retail price. They should have been $349-$399 at most. Sure, some Apple products seem to cost a lot more than competition, but once you really look at the specs and compare hardware/software, the cost is more than justified. This does not seem to be the case here. 
    Don't agree

And the average person who likes over the ear headphones who may have a beats solo 2 - WHY spend so much more money on this?? Sure, it has all the cool tech specs. BUT really. Is this meant for... Who? Professionals who use wired? At this price point please tell me who this is for. Actually I really want to know WHO is buying this besides a professional in the audio industry and someone who has enough disposable income to do so. 

It’s like the original AirPods all over again. 
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 162 of 250
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Is there no Apple logo anywhere? Kinda disappointing. I like to know iKnockoff users get disappointed when an Apple product succeeds.

Also if these can compete with Sennheiser, than the price is well, well worth it. People complaining don't know what they're talking about.

saarek said:
    Yeah, good luck with that. I can buy a pair of Bowers & Wilkins PX7’s for £289 right now, they were down as low as £220 in October (an absolute steal at that price), no way would I pay twice that for these.

REALLY? What's your review on AirPods Max? What didn't you like about them? Were you the only person in the world to receive an advanced pair?
    ronnmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 163 of 250
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    Oof, that's one hell of a pricetag.
    Is this about the Max or the original AirPods, cuz those didn’t do well, did they.
    Huh?

Obviously it's about the Max, that's what this thread is for.  They'll probably do fine, I'm not making any comment on how well they'll do?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 164 of 250
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

crowley said:
    The Smart Case looks... unusual.
    Lemme guess. You’re a guy?
    Yes?

Are there headphones that only women know about that have cases like this?

You say odd things.
    Japheymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 165 of 250
    cpsro said:

avon b7 said:
    sevenfeet said:
    Looking over the description page at Apple.com, I looked closer at the volume knob and must wonder out loud what in the world were they thinking when they decided to put that closer to the BACK than the FRONT on top of the headphones? 

The volume knob will be THE MOST USED function of these headphones. And if a person is lying down on a pillow, as shown in their video/ad, the odds that the volume knob will be accidentally moved or triggered have increased hugely. And the physically awkward placement will also make it more difficult to reach in those cases when something very loud suddenly blasts over the headphones.

This is one of those slap yourself on the forehead moments. Form should never override function on something like headphones. 
    Here's another head-slapping problem with these, outside of the price as the competition (Bose, Sony) are $200 cheaper.....NO HEADPHONE JACK.

Now I know that Apple has moved away from headphone jacks in most of their products. But one of the key applications for this device is going to be airplanes (when we can all fly again safely). While you may have your iPhone, iPad or Mac with you for entertainment, most airlines have infotainment system screens in the seat back and how do you interface with all of them? A headphone jack.

This had to have been discussed with the design team. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this was deleted and would be an instant deal killer to get me to abandon my Bose QuietComfort headphones, regardless of whatever cool tech Apple has included with this, or how well they might sound. Also, audiophiles would want a headphone jack to connect to sound systems and bypass the limitations of Bluetooth for an analog experience.
    My Freebuds Studio have no headphone jack either and apparently the USB-C port cannot be used with an adapter.

I agree with you though that a headphone jack would have been a very useful option (more power going into the headphones, future proofing BT etc).

At this price it would have been nice but perhaps an adapter will work with these. 
    This is 8 bucks on Amazon. In fact, why don't knock yourself out, and buy three for 13 bucks:

They are the wrong way round to use these new headphones in a plane
    I am guessing that a vast majority of people have (many) 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cords sitting around all over the house, given for how many decades it has been around. And, if they don't have them lying around, they are ridiculously cheap to buy.
    Does the APM storage “case’ have a place for cables?
    Umm... I don't work for Apple. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 166 of 250
    ferali said:
    iMi said:
    If these were priced more competitively against the likes of the excellent Sony WH-1000XM4, I would have already placed an order but I think Apple has missed the mark on the retail price. They should have been $349-$399 at most. Sure, some Apple products seem to cost a lot more than competition, but once you really look at the specs and compare hardware/software, the cost is more than justified. This does not seem to be the case here. 
    Don't agree

And the average person who likes over the ear headphones who may have a beats solo 2 - WHY spend so much more money on this?? Sure, it has all the cool tech specs. BUT really. Is this meant for... Who? Professionals who use wired? At this price point please tell me who this is for. Actually I really want to know WHO is buying this besides a professional in the audio industry and someone who has enough disposable income to do so. 
    "WHY spend so much more money on this?" => People will decide for themselves what to spend their money on.

Given the $550 price tag, it's obvious that this isn't a mass market item and I'm sure Apple's smart enough to know that as well.  
    AirPods Max is Apple’s answer for the high end of the wireless headphone market ( and by high-end, I don't necessarily mean professionals in the audio industry).  If you're someone that appreciates high-end sound in addition to the tight integration with the Apple ecosystem, this is a great product for you.  Or put another way, if you love the Apple brand & ecosystem and you're looking for an Apple-branded pair of headphones that offer something more than the AirPods Pro, this is probably for you.
    entropysmike1kiltedgreenwatto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 167 of 250
    charlesn said:
    avon b7 said:
    sevenfeet said:
    Looking over the description page at Apple.com, I looked closer at the volume knob and must wonder out loud what in the world were they thinking when they decided to put that closer to the BACK than the FRONT on top of the headphones? 

The volume knob will be THE MOST USED function of these headphones. And if a person is lying down on a pillow, as shown in their video/ad, the odds that the volume knob will be accidentally moved or triggered have increased hugely. And the physically awkward placement will also make it more difficult to reach in those cases when something very loud suddenly blasts over the headphones.

This is one of those slap yourself on the forehead moments. Form should never override function on something like headphones. 
    Here's another head-slapping problem with these, outside of the price as the competition (Bose, Sony) are $200 cheaper.....NO HEADPHONE JACK.

Now I know that Apple has moved away from headphone jacks in most of their products. But one of the key applications for this device is going to be airplanes (when we can all fly again safely). While you may have your iPhone, iPad or Mac with you for entertainment, most airlines have infotainment system screens in the seat back and how do you interface with all of them? A headphone jack.

This had to have been discussed with the design team. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this was deleted and would be an instant deal killer to get me to abandon my Bose QuietComfort headphones, regardless of whatever cool tech Apple has included with this, or how well they might sound. Also, audiophiles would want a headphone jack to connect to sound systems and bypass the limitations of Bluetooth for an analog experience.
    My Freebuds Studio have no headphone jack either and apparently the USB-C port cannot be used with an adapter.

I agree with you though that a headphone jack would have been a very useful option (more power going into the headphones, future proofing BT etc).

At this price it would have been nice but perhaps an adapter will work with these. 
    C'mon guys, read the product release. There's a lightning to 3.5 mm jack accessory cord avail for wired use on airplanes. Of course, this is Apple, the only company that wouldn't include a $1 adapter cable like that with a $549 set of 'phones... no, that cable will cost you an extra $35. 
    Where in the web page description does it indicate compatibility with the lightning to 3.5" dongle? I don't see it.
  • Reply 168 of 250
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member

Oh, and just to throw a wrench in the L/R debate. In pro audio, Right is Red, Left usually blue or white. Good luck have fun! 

It’s the same way with any live production I’ve ever worked... the cases with the red tape go stage right! Blue or white go left, and the striped ones usually go FOH, production, wardrobe, etc. 
    sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 169 of 250
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    dewme said:
    No mic? I can't use it to talk with my iPhone? The fact that it has active noise cancellation proves it has some sort of mic in it, but not one I can speak into?

It's labelled with L and R for the Left and Right sides. How are they going to market that in countries where English isn't known or spoken widely?
    You're almost right. Apple should have simply removed the L/R entirely and made the right ear cup Green and the left ear cup Red, thereby conforming the internationally unambiguous nautical Rules of the Road for Starboard and Port ship lighting and navigation channel markers. This would prevent rules compliant users around the world from donning the headphones incorrectly, and all disputes could be settled by the local Coast Guard in the affected countries. Wa la - no more language related ambiguity! How does that sound, matey? 
    What about everyone who’s red/green colorblind. Why punish them?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 170 of 250
    dewme said:
    No mic? I can't use it to talk with my iPhone? The fact that it has active noise cancellation proves it has some sort of mic in it, but not one I can speak into?

It's labelled with L and R for the Left and Right sides. How are they going to market that in countries where English isn't known or spoken widely?
    You're almost right. Apple should have simply removed the L/R entirely and made the right ear cup Green and the left ear cup Red, thereby conforming the internationally unambiguous nautical Rules of the Road for Starboard and Port ship lighting and navigation channel markers. This would prevent rules compliant users around the world from donning the headphones incorrectly, and all disputes could be settled by the local Coast Guard in the affected countries. Wa la - no more language related ambiguity! How does that sound, matey? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 171 of 250
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Given the $550 price tag, it's obvious that this isn't a mass market item and I'm sure Apple's smart enough to know that as well.  

The 14-week backlog directly contradicts your conclusion. 
    ronnsphericsvanstrom
  • Reply 172 of 250
    charlesn said:
    avon b7 said:
    sevenfeet said:

C'mon guys, read the product release. There's a lightning to 3.5 mm jack accessory cord avail for wired use on airplanes. Of course, this is Apple, the only company that wouldn't include a $1 adapter cable like that with a $549 set of 'phones... no, that cable will cost you an extra $35. 
    Planet ain’t going to save itself. Apple leading the way!  ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 173 of 250
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    flydog said:

The 14-week backlog directly contradicts your conclusion. 
    I disagree.  If these were mass market items, they would have gone on sale a lot earlier to try and maximize holiday 2020 sales. AirPods / AirPods Pro are mass market headphones.  With a 14-week backlog, I'm willing to bet initial supply was seriously limited.
    edited December 2020 randominternetpersonmuthuk_vanalingamchemengin1svanstrom
  • Reply 174 of 250
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Beats said:

99% of headphone companies engrave their products with "L" and "R" letters. Funny how something that was NEVER a problem suddenly becomes "Stupid Apple!!" when Apple does it.

Exactly. Beats headphones have always had L/R stamped on them, and have been sold year way worldwide. But for some reason this only became an issue on December 8, 2020. 
    ronnsphericwatto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 175 of 250

dewme said:

Does the Americans with Disabilities Act apply on the high seas?
  • Reply 176 of 250
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    urahara said:
    mike1 said:
    urahara said:
     Lightning connector - why???

I would argue that a person who would buy such headphones would more likely to have a MacBook Air/Pro and/or iPad with USB-C than not to have such devices (thus have the charger and cable for it). And the use case would be to use this headphones primarily at home or while traveling.  And more likely to use AirPods (Pro) just outside their house on the streets or for jogging.

I was waiting for Apple to release this headphones.
    But because of the lightning connector and price difference I would go with Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700.
    Because there are perhaps over a billion more iPhones/iPads in the world than Macs ever made.

You misunderstand my argument. It’s not about what is more in the world. It’s about who most likely will buy it. Those who have iPhone 4 and Lightning cable won’t most likely buy it. Even though they have lightning cable. 
    But people who has Apple devices with USB-C are more likely to buy Apples headphones which cost that much. 
    Why? Because they have been already spending relatively high amount on Apple products. And it would have been more convenient for such a person to have a UAB-C on these headphones. And, of course, on an iPhone as well. But this move sadly shows that Apple has unfortunately decided to continue using Lighning connector. 
    It’s just convenient when I can charge with one cable any device I need to. And my choice lies on USB-C. 

You’ll be plugging the included cable into what?  
    What are you talking  about?
  • Reply 177 of 250
    Has Apple totally lost touch with the real world where non-millionaires live?

$550 for noise cancelling headphones.  Outrageous pricing, in my opinion.

Need a cable for those times when you can't or aren't able to use wireless mode?  That will cost $35 for a 4-foot Lightning to 3.5 mm Audio Cable from Apple.  $35!!
    I guess if you can afford $550 for a headset, you can certainly pay $35 for a headphone cable without even thinking about it.

Whatever happened to the computer for the rest of us?

Apparently GREED has become the new guiding principal in Tim Cook's Apple.

(yes Apple products have always cost more than PC products, but the prices have been getting more outrageously nuts the last few years)

(I can neither afford/justify nor want the new headphones, but why does Apple hate less wealthy middle and less-than people?)

AI_liassvanstrom
  • Reply 178 of 250
    Does the Americans with Disabilities Act apply on the high seas?

How about the ADA applying to comments in this thread?
  • Reply 179 of 250
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Has Apple totally lost touch with the real world where non-millionaires live?

$550 for noise cancelling headphones.  Outrageous pricing, in my opinion.

Need a cable for those times when you can't or aren't able to use wireless mode?  That will cost $35 for a 4-foot Lightning to 3.5 mm Audio Cable from Apple.  $35!!
    I guess if you can afford $550 for a headset, you can certainly pay $35 for a headphone cable without even thinking about it.

Whatever happened to the computer for the rest of us?

Apparently GREED has become the new guiding principal in Tim Cook's Apple.

(yes Apple products have always cost more than PC products, but the prices have been getting more outrageously nuts the last few years)

(I can neither afford/justify nor want the new headphones, but why does Apple hate less wealthy middle and less-than people?)

Apple doesn’t hate you. They just can’t make any money off of cheapskates.
    ronnRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 180 of 250
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    No U1? Only Bluetooth 5.0? For that price I was expecting 5.2 with support for LE Audio. And what happened to the automatic ear detection that was rumored? And the sport version for $349? 

That said, there’s a lot to like here. I would have preferred USB-C, but Lightning doesn’t really bother me. I like that you don’t have to turn them on and off; magnetic cups, color options...

Speaking of which, could those color options portend similar choices for the next AirPods Pro? Please?

I’ll probably grab a pair, but I’m definitely waiting for the reviews and early adopter feedback before pulling the trigger. 
    ronnwatto_cobra