Apple potentially weighing removal of included iPhone cable, other accessories

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
Apple is gauging interest in the accessories it includes with the iPhone 12 lineup with survey that asks owners if they use the included USB-C power cable.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsiderCredit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

Earlier in 2020, Apple carried out a similar customer survey regarding the USB power adapters bundled with iPhones. Apple, of course, removed the chargers and EarPods from the boxes of its iPhones starting in October, saying the change would greatly reduce its products' impact on the environment.

Buyers of the iPhone 12 lineup are receiving surveys asking if they actually use the items that come with their devices, including the power cable, SIM ejection tool, and Apple stickers, 9to5Mac reports.

Additionally, Apple is also asking users about the Face ID experience on the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro lineup. That comes amid rumors that the company is working to improve the biometric authentication system in future iPhone generations, a decision that could see integration of under-screen Touch ID technology.

Apple typically engages in after sales survey work to gauge customer satisfaction. Whether the company plans to take action on the information gleaned from the questionnaire is unknown.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    This will eventually happen as Qi charging is becoming commonplace…. and of course people will bitch about it. The Lightning port will also go away eventually.
    williamlondonF_Kent_Dllama
  • Reply 2 of 51
    I don't need any more USB or USB-C to lightning cables but more USB-C to USB-C data cables would be appreciated. Just USB-C charging cables, I don't have a surplus of those yet but I can already see that I will in the near future.
    williamlondonF_Kent_D
  • Reply 3 of 51
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Of course people aren't using that silly cord Apple enclosed with the iPhone 12.   They have nothing to plug it into.   It was just a cruel joke Apple played on its customers.

Now, if they provided something (like a USB-C brick) to plug it into the story would be quite different with happy customers watching their phones charge from 0% to 50% in 30 minutes.
    williamlondonretrogustofred1muthuk_vanalingamravnorodomsdw2001h4y3schemengin1tokyojimu
  • Reply 4 of 51
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Xed said:
    This will eventually happen as Qi charging is becoming commonplace…. and of course people will bitch about it. The Lightning port will also go away eventually.

Eventually we'll have self driving cars.   But so far GM has not stopped supplying steering wheels and brake pedals for their cars.
    williamlondonMplsPF_Kent_Dmuthuk_vanalingamchemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 51
    Sure, why not remove the cable when the charging port is going bye-bye?  Ahhh... the whole ecology just breathed a sigh of relief.  Social media is going to go nuts.  So amusing.  They should be used to this by now.  Apple is chasing after profits and will do (remove) anything to get it.  I've got cables and adapters up the wazoo, so it doesn't matter to me.
    williamlondonF_Kent_DGeorgeBMacrossb2
  • Reply 6 of 51
    One major downside to removing the Lightning port from your phone: all of the CarPlay devices out there (without wireless CarPlay) are suddenly obsolete.

People hang on to their cars a LOT longer than their phones...
    retrogustoGeorgeBMacDogpersonllamachemengin1
  • Reply 7 of 51
    One major downside to removing the Lightning port from your phone: all of the CarPlay devices out there (without wireless CarPlay) are suddenly obsolete.

People hang on to their cars a LOT longer than their phones...
    Was thinking about this yesterday. I think Apple will come out with MagSafe 2 with a built in smart connector so that a portless iPhone could still do things like wired CarPlay. 

How does $49 sound?
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Xed said:
    Eventually we'll have self driving cars.   But so far GM has not stopped supplying steering wheels and brake pedals for their cars.
    Apple has Qi charging and still has the Lightning port and still supplies a Lightning cable so, again, you fail to make a point.

PS: Self driving cars do exist. These are not hypothetical concepts and having them doesn't mean that a steering wheel or brake pedals had to go away the moment they were introduced.
    JFC_PARayz2016
  • Reply 9 of 51

People hang on to their cars a LOT longer than their phones…
    No one is going to sneak into your home to upgrade your iPhone without your knowledge. Think about when Apple would make this move. Think about why Apple would make this move. When Apple finally removes the Lightning port then you will either use the alternative option, or you'll either update your iPhone without connecting to CarPlay or simply won't upgrade your iPhone. Don't create artificial obstacles just to be difficult. 

Personally, I'd like to see a MagSafe charger for a car that also for Qi charging and offers wireless CarPlay to the wired connection. All the parts are already there.
    edited December 2020 roundaboutnow
  • Reply 10 of 51
    I hardly use the included accessories not because I don’t need them. It’s because they are low quality, specially the cables. I can get lower cost replacement at much better quality. For apple to KPT have braided, durable cables is beyond. For a company that pride itself of quality products, they have inferior cables. 
    llama
  • Reply 11 of 51
    I heard Apple is also considering removing the iPhone from the box.
    MplsPp-dogdewmeBombdoebikerdudeGeorgeBMacchemengin1
  • Reply 12 of 51
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    I don’t understand why Apple is pushing wireless charging? Wireless charging is one of the worst charging methods as a lot of energy is wasted. They shouldn’t allow the capability until that improves.
    retrogustomuthuk_vanalingamchemengin1tokyojimu
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Samsung will probably do the same. But at least their customers had >5W bricks...... Plus they have USB C cables now....

Its moronic to think these moves are anything but boosting profit margins. 
    MplsPGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 51
    I am sure Apple has e-reasons for removing the cable (something I grab from every box as they wear out constantly) but this is going to make them look cheap. Not a good look when you are trying to sell thousand dollar luxury phones.
    Dogpersonchemengin1
  • Reply 15 of 51
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    jcc said:
    I don’t understand why Apple is pushing wireless charging? Wireless charging is one of the worst charging methods as a lot of energy is wasted. They shouldn’t allow the capability until that improves.
    The amount of excess electricity used by wirelessly charging your phone for a year wouldn’t be enough to power your refrigerator for 5 minutes. 
    jdb8167llama
  • Reply 16 of 51
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member

seankill said:
    Samsung will probably do the same. But at least their customers had >5W bricks...... Plus they have USB C cables now....

Its moronic to think these moves are anything but boosting profit margins. 
    Moronic was exactly what came to mind reading this post. 
    p-dogFidonet127
  • Reply 17 of 51
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 131member
    You can have the SIM ejection tool, but don’t take away my stickers!
    Japhey
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Apple is really trying to get the point when they can email a virtual empty box with nothing in it. This will really save the environment. 🤪🤪😐
  • Reply 19 of 51
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    I’d welcome that. For example I really prefer 2 m cables, I’ve enough spare 1 m to last a lifetime. So having choice would be preferred. Versus getting another spare to put in a drawer. 
  • Reply 20 of 51
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Xed said:

People hang on to their cars a LOT longer than their phones…
    No one is going to sneak into your home to upgrade your iPhone without your knowledge. Think about when Apple would make this move. Think about why Apple would make this move. When Apple finally removes the Lightning port then you will either use the alternative option, or you'll either update your iPhone without connecting to CarPlay or simply won't upgrade your iPhone. Don't create artificial obstacles just to be difficult. 

Personally, I'd like to see a MagSafe charger for a car that also for Qi charging and offers wireless CarPlay to the wired connection. All the parts are already there.
    Agreed. I suspect the NFC coil included in the MagSafe array will play a bigger here role than just color coordinated animations. Rest easy everybody...I guarantee Apple had been plotting the solution to this problem for several years.