Apple potentially weighing removal of included iPhone cable, other accessories

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    F_Kent_DF_Kent_D Posts: 98unconfirmed, member
    One major downside to removing the Lightning port from your phone: all of the CarPlay devices out there (without wireless CarPlay) are suddenly obsolete.

People hang on to their cars a LOT longer than their phones...
    But every car with Apple CarPlay has Bluetooth so the upgrade to wireless CarPlay is just a software update issue that could actually be initiated on the Apple side of the situation. At least I think it’s possible. 
  • Reply 22 of 51
    One major downside to removing the Lightning port from your phone: all of the CarPlay devices out there (without wireless CarPlay) are suddenly obsolete.

People hang on to their cars a LOT longer than their phones...
    I guess we’ll have to keep using our older phones to get Apple’s attention.
    Dogperson
  • Reply 23 of 51
    flydog said:
    jcc said:
    I don’t understand why Apple is pushing wireless charging? Wireless charging is one of the worst charging methods as a lot of energy is wasted. They shouldn’t allow the capability until that improves.
    The amount of excess electricity used by wirelessly charging your phone for a year wouldn’t be enough to power your refrigerator for 5 minutes. 
    https://debugger.medium.com/wireless-charging-is-a-disaster-waiting-to-happen-48afdde70ed9

The difference is about 7 watt hours, from dead to full, apparently, so if you charged your phone only every other day, you would still be wasting an extra 1,277 watt hours per year. An average fridge uses 100-250 watts
     ( https://reductionrevolution.com.au/blogs/news-reviews/fridge-power-consumption )
    so the annual wasted energy would be enough to power a fairly efficient fridge for over 12 hours. 

The wasted energy of one full wireless charge from dead to full is almost enough to power a fridge for 5 minutes.
    edited December 2020 chemengin1
  • Reply 24 of 51
    I took the survey, Looks like the stickers are on their way out!
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 25 of 51
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    This will eventually happen as Qi charging is becoming commonplace…. and of course people will bitch about it. The Lightning port will also go away eventually.
    Eventually we'll have self driving cars.   But so far GM has not stopped supplying steering wheels and brake pedals for their cars.
    Apple has Qi charging and still has the Lightning port and still supplies a Lightning cable so, again, you fail to make a point.

PS: Self driving cars do exist. These are not hypothetical concepts and having them doesn't mean that a steering wheel or brake pedals had to go away the moment they were introduced.

Because you failed to see the point doesn't mean I didn't make my point.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    This will eventually happen as Qi charging is becoming commonplace…. and of course people will bitch about it. The Lightning port will also go away eventually.
    Eventually we'll have self driving cars.   But so far GM has not stopped supplying steering wheels and brake pedals for their cars.
    Apple has Qi charging and still has the Lightning port and still supplies a Lightning cable so, again, you fail to make a point.

PS: Self driving cars do exist. These are not hypothetical concepts and having them doesn't mean that a steering wheel or brake pedals had to go away the moment they were introduced.

Because you failed to see the point doesn't mean I didn't make my point.
    Well, it kinda does, but never mind. 
    Dogperson
  • Reply 27 of 51
    Problem is wifi sync on my devices is very unreliable.
    I want to back up once a week, most of times I need to use a cable.

using latest devices, last software / firmware.

ohh

and please change to USB C at phone end.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Problem is wifi sync on my devices is very unreliable.
    I want to back up once a week, most of times I need to use a cable.

using latest devices, last software / firmware.

ohh

and please change to USB C at phone end.
    I don't think this is going to happen. The port takes up more room than the lightning port. The other problem is that USB-C put the delicate bit inside the port, rather than on the cable where its not such a big deal if it gets damaged. Since Apple had such a hand in the design of USB-C I've no idea how they let this happen.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    flydog said:
    jcc said:
    I don’t understand why Apple is pushing wireless charging? Wireless charging is one of the worst charging methods as a lot of energy is wasted. They shouldn’t allow the capability until that improves.
    The amount of excess electricity used by wirelessly charging your phone for a year wouldn’t be enough to power your refrigerator for 5 minutes. 
    https://debugger.medium.com/wireless-charging-is-a-disaster-waiting-to-happen-48afdde70ed9

The difference is about 7 watt hours, from dead to full, apparently, so if you charged your phone only every other day, you would still be wasting an extra 1,277 watt hours per year. An average fridge uses 100-250 watts
     ( https://reductionrevolution.com.au/blogs/news-reviews/fridge-power-consumption )
    so the annual wasted energy would be enough to power a fairly efficient fridge for over 12 hours. 

The wasted energy of one full wireless charge from dead to full is almost enough to power a fridge for 5 minutes.

By the same author, I think,

https://debugger.medium.com/wireless-charging-wastes-tons-of-energy-will-magsafe-help-the-iphone-12-668dcb683666

A lot of the wasted energy is because the charging coils aren't aligned, which is probably why Apple abandoned AirPower and went with MagSafe.

• Reply 30 of 51
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,404member

Additionally, Apple is also asking users about the Face ID experience on the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro lineup. That comes amid rumors that the company is working to improve the biometric authentication system in future iPhone generations, a decision that could see integration of under-screen Touch ID technology.

My experience is that the iPhone12 Pro Face ID might have a little better off-axis capability. It seems that I don't have to look at the phone as directly to unlock, especially from the cup holder in the car where I always set the phone.

• Reply 31 of 51
    I would be OK with this if they would offer a discount on necessary accessories like a charging brick and/or lighting cable to customers who are buying a new phone and need those items.  Maybe 50% off at the time of purchasing their phone.  I think it's ridiculous to pay hundreds of dollars for a product that you can't charge without buying an accessory.  
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 32 of 51
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,908member
    "Potentially weighing".  I curiously wonder about what that means.
    tokyojimu
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Xed said:
    I doubt that the lightning port will go away.  The lightning port is used for more than charging.  It's used for recovery and diagnostics.   Also there are accessories such as the USB / SD card readers and HDMI and video converters.  
    tokyojimurossb2
  • Reply 34 of 51
    flydog said:

seankill said:
    Samsung will probably do the same. But at least their customers had >5W bricks...... Plus they have USB C cables now....

Its moronic to think these moves are anything but boosting profit margins. 
    Moronic was exactly what came to mind reading this post. 
    Delusional much? You were you referring to yourself?
    chemengin1
  • Reply 35 of 51
    Remove the stickers? They barely take up space. Can’t possibly cost that much and it’s a great marketing tool. I can’t tell how many cars I see with that sticker on the rear window. Or on a book bag, water bottles, bicycles. Hell, I saw one once slapped over a Dell logo on a laptop once. 
    rossb2
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Been using a wireless charging stand for well over a year. Would never go back to charging cables or adapters. Would prefer it if Apple excluded cables. I have at least 5 of them now, as Apple include them with other products e.g Magic Mouse, Magic Keyboard. I think they are even with AirPods. Also more than happy for chargers to be excluded.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    JBSlough said:
    Remove the stickers? They barely take up space. Can’t possibly cost that much and it’s a great marketing tool. I can’t tell how many cars I see with that sticker on the rear window. Or on a book bag, water bottles, bicycles. Hell, I saw one once slapped over a Dell logo on a laptop once. 
    Those stickers are awful. I never know what to do with them. Anyone found a use for them?
  • Reply 38 of 51
    Dear Apple, please offer a charger as a free add-on, giving owners who don't have a USB-C charger, a choice to opt in or out.  You can still save the environment by leaving out those non-recyclable Apple stickers.  I have more of those things sitting in a drawer than I can count.  They produce carbon, but don't keep your phone charged.
    edited December 2020 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 39 of 51
    XedXed Posts: 2,814member
    techrider said:
    Dear Apple, please offer a charger as a free add-on, giving owners who don't have a USB-C charger, a choice to opt in or out.  You can still save the environment by leaving out those non-recyclable Apple stickers.  I have more of those things sitting in a drawer than I can count.  They produce carbon, but don't keep your phone charged.
    You think a complex PSU with heavy metals equates to a sticker in terms of the environment impact? Also, and maybe I should've let with this, I thought Apple dropped the stickers a decade ago.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    XedXed Posts: 2,814member
    PassingBy said:
    Xed said:
    I doubt that the lightning port will go away.  The lightning port is used for more than charging.  It's used for recovery and diagnostics.   Also there are accessories such as the USB / SD card readers and HDMI and video converters.  
    You think that the Lightning port will forever be on every iPhone they sell? I don't know when it'll be right time to make the move or what solutions will be in place (e.g.: Smart Connector) but I'm sure it will happen. I think it's folly to assume that "recovery and diagnostics" access means that it will be a Lightning port. You can look to the Apple Watch to see how that isn't the case.