Apple discontinues Music Memos, prompts users to migrate to Voice Memos

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
Apple's Music Memos app is being retired, and the company is urging users to move their recordings to the Voice Memos app.

Music Memos is discontinued
Music Memos is discontinued

The Music Memos app first debuted in 2016 as a tool for musicians to record samples or entire songs. Apple promoted the app as a tool that could "capture musician's ideas on iPhone or iPad whenever inspiration strikes."

The app has been short lived and was only rarely updated. The tool utilizes similar capabilities found in Garage Band like adding background instruments to a track, but ultimately recordings needed to be exported to be used properly.

Apple says that Music Memos will be available for download from the App Store until March 2021 and it will still be usable in iOS 14. However, Apple says users should export their Music Memos library to Voice Memos to prevent inadvertent data loss, using the feature added in Thursday's update.

Voice Memos is capable of recording lossless tracks, just like Music Memos. Users will miss out on some of the more music-related features, but Apple says that you can easily export Voice Memo tracks to Garage Band for editing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Wait … music what?
    Alex1Nrandominternetpersontokyojimurazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Most likely they are planning Garageband/Logic for iPadOS and then iPhone soon. That day is coming.

Rayz2016 said:
    Wait … music what?

An App Apple shi**ed out and abandoned or didn't promote like Clips.
    razorpit
  • Reply 3 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Never heard of it.
    tokyojimurazorpit
  • Reply 4 of 12
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Beats said:
    Most likely they are planning Garageband/Logic for iPadOS and then iPhone soon. That day is coming.

You mean like this?
    edited December 2020 n2itivguydysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I really like music memos for quickly getting ideas recorded I hope all the functionality makes it to another app
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 130member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Wait … music what?
    Never heard of it either - until this article  :D :(
    razorpit
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Wow. Very disappointed in these commenters so far. 

I had no idea this was even an Apple made app. I’m super bummed they’re pulling this app. It’s awesome. No frills interface with an automatic drum beat and/or bass you could toggle in and out easily. It figured out what chord you were playing and annotated it down like tabs/sheet music automatically. You can easily crop clips and most impressively share them via the share sheet super easily. It’s maybe not for everyone because everyone isn’t a musician, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a cool app. I use this all the time. 
    tenthousandthingsBeatsSpamSandwichrazorpitlotoneswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    elijahg said:
    Beats said:

You mean like this?

Forgot that crap existed. I don;t think anyone uses it.

Logic is what I want personally.
  • Reply 9 of 12

I had no idea this was even an Apple made app. I’m super bummed they’re pulling this app. It’s awesome. No frills interface with an automatic drum beat and/or bass you could toggle in and out easily. It figured out what chord you were playing and annotated it down like tabs/sheet music automatically. You can easily crop clips and most impressively share them via the share sheet super easily. It’s maybe not for everyone because everyone isn’t a musician, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a cool app. I use this all the time. 
    Same. It’s a great app for sketching out the bones of a track or idea. This completely blows. Another shortsighted move by Apple which takes away another artist’s tool which supports the creative end of the music production process... and if they’re still going to be in the music sales game, they benefit by offering more smart tools for artists.
    dysamoriarazorpitmrwittlotones
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

I’m sure it was great. I’d just never heard of it. 

Well, at least they’re rolling the functionality into something else. 
    edited December 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12

Same. It’s a great app for sketching out the bones of a track or idea. This completely blows. Another shortsighted move by Apple which takes away another artist’s tool which supports the creative end of the music production process... and if they’re still going to be in the music sales game, they benefit by offering more smart tools for artists.
    I agree with all the above. I've been using it for a couple years, and it's been a great way to "jot" down quick tunes without having to dive into garageband. I'm really going to miss it.
    edited December 2020 SpamSandwichrazorpitmrwittwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Rayz2016 said:

I’m sure it was great. I’d just never heard of it. 

Well, at least they’re rolling the functionality into something else. 
    They aren't rolling the functionality into something else or if they are they haven't announced it. Hopefully there will be an update to voice memos that adds in the missing features.