Apple debuts $549 AirPods Max over-ear headphones

Comments

• Reply 221 of 250
    Good luck Apple. It better comes with a full head massage option and a free 24 month Apple Music subscription.
    AI_lias
  • Reply 222 of 250
    I wouldn't be too worried about the quality of these, per se, but at that price point, I'd be more concerned about battery life and frequency response (as well as how well those frequencies are produced).  I'm aware that Apple Care will replace the battery if it fails within the 2 year period, but what about after that?  Do I remember correctly that Apple is now offering extensions to Apple Care?  Can't remember.  If so, that would mitigate the battery worries somewhat.  If the only solution after 2 years is to spend half the price of the headset for a new battery, that's gonna suck.

There's nothing on Apple's specs page about frequency response, and it seems too early for anyone to have actually tested them.

For comparison, my Nokia 905i BT headset has a 15-20,000 Hz range, with good to excellent fidelity across that range, ANC, and supports both BT and wired connections (to a large number of devices, via a set of included adapters).  My limited testing suggests that battery life with ANC on is about 12-15 hours, and somewhere in the neighborhood of 24 with it off.  My pair is a little over 10 years old at this point, and while I don't use them every day, maybe twice a week for a few hours at a time, the battery seems to last pretty much just as long as when they were new.  If it's declined, I haven't noticed it much.  I paid somewhere around $100 for them new.  They aren't made anymore, but I've seen them on eBay for upwards of $200 used.

• Reply 223 of 250
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    crowley said:
    I can't purchase them because the CONTINUE button on the purchase screen is greyed out.
    Select a colour and whether you want engraving or not.
    Oh. I did select a colour but I didn't know I had to click on anything else. Thanks. I wonder how many other people are going to fail to purchase them because of this "feature" of the website.
    The website is not the reason why people won't buy them.  The ridiculous price, ugly appearance, and a case that looks like a purse or a bra is the reason why people will not buy these.

Yep. That's borne out by the current 12-16 week shipment times.
    Xedronnspherickiltedgreenwatto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 224 of 250
    The initial "first looks" posted on major sites over the last few hours have been less than impressive. Not surprisingly, the sports bra case is being ruthlessly and deservedly trashed, not just for its ugly appearance and lack of protection--making it unsuitable for tossing into a briefcase or backpack, but also--surprisingly for Apple--because it feels cheap. But more revealing and interesting to me are the comments about the sound. While every writer is quite clear that these first looks aren't full reviews, all have been summarizing how they feel about the sound, and--notably--no one is saying "amazing." I've read "good" and "quite good" and "on par with other leading wireless headphones" -- which is fairly tepid commentary for a product coming in at $549 (or $584 if you want the cable for use on an airplane) vs. roughly $300 for its top and very lauded competitors, who include an airline cable and a very nice, protective case. 

We shall see if these are the headphone equivalent of the recently released MagSafe Duo Wireless Charging Base: insanely priced, lacking accessories you actually need, cheap feeling materials and overall performance no better than much less expensive competing products. 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 225 of 250
    macgui said:
    Clearly most of you aren't familiar with high-end headphones. They can range from 2-10x the cost of these Apple headphones, easy.

It's comical the way some idiots pick one feature of these headphones then compare their little POS headsets and claim some kind of victory.

And suggesting that these have to be binned when the battery dies? Idiocy. Replacing batteries in AirPods isn't really very practical, and comparing that to replacing the batteries in the Max is again another exercise in stupidity.

These are pricey for the casual listener. Not all that pricey when compared to a litany of high-end headphones, if these live up to the claims. 
    Clearly you are not familiar with Apple's marketing.  These are a far cry from being high-end headphones.  They are just excessively overpriced cans.  You don't have to be so insulting to people in your comment.  No professional recording studio or person would buy these.  They will buy the high-end headphones from reputable companies in the industry that know audio very well.  Apple is not that company.  Apple is known for mediocre audio quality in their products.  Apple does not even allow you to adjust tone quality in any of their speaker products.  These are heavily marketed as BLUETOOTH headphones to use with your iPhone for playing back heavily compressed audio files.  Something a professional audio person would never listen to.  Yes, Apple charges an extra $35 for an audio cable, but again, that is not what Apple wants you to do.  These are just overpriced ugly headphones that no one will be buying, except for a few fools that think anything with an Apple logo is somehow magical.
    I’m familiar with Apple’s marketing - I bought the original Macintosh at release and have spent plenty on their products over the years and currently have 4 of their products.

I wasn’t trying to insult anyone, I was just surprised that people were so surprised at the price. I agree, no professional studio or audio engineer would buy these and Apple is clearly not aiming their marketing for these headphones at those people as can be seen from their web site.

You will find that Naim Audio’s NAC 552 pre-amplifier, costing £21,000 doesn’t allow you to adjust the “tone quality” either and such controls are very rare to find on a loudspeaker anyway. As for the mention of Bluetooth, again, Apple are not aiming these are audio engineers, they are being aimed at Apple’s usual audience (Pro Apps notwithstanding).

I think they look very attractive, much more so than the endless lumps of unimaginative black plastic that pass for the design of most headphones. To say they are overpriced is unwise when you have not even heard them; you may be right, but they combine a number of features which for a lot of people will be very appealing. If no one is buying them then I’m not sure why the shipping times are already lengthening unless it’s all the fools, in which case Apple will happily take their money!
    ronnwatto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 226 of 250
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Comments on Apple's new product:

"...are you really aiming to become a glorified consumer gimmicks firm?  :s "

"I still can't believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! ... Why oh why would they do this?! It's so wrong! It's so stupid!"

"iPoop... iCry. I was so hoping for something more."

Talking about AirPods Max? Nah! The October 2001 introduction of the iPod.

With one lonely voice among the braying masses, I echo the following sentiment:

"Come on everyone, y'all are saying it sucks before you have even held it in your hand."
    watto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 227 of 250
    macgui said:
    Clearly most of you aren't familiar with high-end headphones. They can range from 2-10x the cost of these Apple headphones, easy.

It's comical the way some idiots pick one feature of these headphones then compare their little POS headsets and claim some kind of victory.

And suggesting that these have to be binned when the battery dies? Idiocy. Replacing batteries in AirPods isn't really very practical, and comparing that to replacing the batteries in the Max is again another exercise in stupidity.

These are pricey for the casual listener. Not all that pricey when compared to a litany of high-end headphones, if these live up to the claims. 
    Clearly you are not familiar with Apple's marketing.  These are a far cry from being high-end headphones.  They are just excessively overpriced cans.  You don't have to be so insulting to people in your comment.  No professional recording studio or person would buy these.  They will buy the high-end headphones from reputable companies in the industry that know audio very well.  Apple is not that company.  Apple is known for mediocre audio quality in their products.  Apple does not even allow you to adjust tone quality in any of their speaker products.  These are heavily marketed as BLUETOOTH headphones to use with your iPhone for playing back heavily compressed audio files.  Something a professional audio person would never listen to.  Yes, Apple charges an extra $35 for an audio cable, but again, that is not what Apple wants you to do.  These are just overpriced ugly headphones that no one will be buying, except for a few fools that think anything with an Apple logo is somehow magical.
    I’m familiar with Apple’s marketing - I bought the original Macintosh at release and have spent plenty on their products over the years and currently have 4 of their products.

I wasn’t trying to insult anyone, I was just surprised that people were so surprised at the price. I agree, no professional studio or audio engineer would buy these and Apple is clearly not aiming their marketing for these headphones at those people as can be seen from their web site.

You will find that Naim Audio’s NAC 552 pre-amplifier, costing £21,000 doesn’t allow you to adjust the “tone quality” either and such controls are very rare to find on a loudspeaker anyway. As for the mention of Bluetooth, again, Apple are not aiming these are audio engineers, they are being aimed at Apple’s usual audience (Pro Apps notwithstanding).

I think they look very attractive, much more so than the endless lumps of unimaginative black plastic that pass for the design of most headphones. To say they are overpriced is unwise when you have not even heard them; you may be right, but they combine a number of features which for a lot of people will be very appealing. If no one is buying them then I’m not sure why the shipping times are already lengthening unless it’s all the fools, in which case Apple will happily take their money!
    The audiophile market is certainly in a world of it’s own. As a designer for 15 years for a small Britsh company I designed some pretty mad products; like the Titan" power amplifier, 1000 Watts per channel into 8 ohms and 2000 Watts into 4 ohms, at the bargin price of $30,000 and a 14 tube pri-amp (no tone controls of course), the Primo for $7900. I suspect Apple's headphones are going to be very good but not suitable for the professionals, The 1% distortion figure is epecially good for headphones and may put them in the same class as electrostatic types.
    watto_cobraspherickiltedgreen
  • Reply 228 of 250
    Here's the tl;dr for this thread: "Everyone but me is stupid".

It's kind of fun/depressing to read all these comments that are all 173% sure the product will either fail or succeed; and yet absolutely no-one here has had a chance to actually f*cking listen to the headphones to give their opinion based on the sound.
    ronnMplsPgatorguy
  • Reply 229 of 250
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    charlesn said:
    cheap feeling materials 

Everything I've read/watched so far effuses over the incredible workmanship and high quality of the materials and design. 

Nothing cheap or chintzy here.
    ronn
  • Reply 230 of 250
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    spheric said:
    charlesn said:
    cheap feeling materials 

Everything I've read/watched so far effuses over the incredible workmanship and high quality of the materials and design. 

Me too, everything about the materials and build of the headphones has been very positive. I’ve heard the adjustability of the band in particular being called out as feeling premium.

There’s definitely a different feeling towards the  case, which unless the whole world has missed something seems to be a conspicuous misfire.
    ronn
  • Reply 231 of 250
    spheric said:
    charlesn said:
    cheap feeling materials 

Here's the thing about quoting people minus the context of their quote: you get it wrong. My comment about cheap feeling materials related specifically to what these first look reviews are saying about the case: "Not surprisingly, the sports bra case is being ruthlessly and deservedly trashed, not just for its ugly appearance and lack of protection--making it unsuitable for tossing into a briefcase or backpack, but also--surprisingly for Apple--because it feels cheap."

As for the actual headphones, reviews have been mostly but not entirely positive about the luxury of the materials chosen. The Verge had one of the first "first looks" posted and said this: "
    I have the silver AirPods Max, and the vast expanse of flattish aluminum does not look at first glance like $550 — it’s possible the other colors look more premium, but you would be forgiven for thinking these are plastic until you touch them and feel the coldness of metal." My own feeling is that the mock-up that was being continuously posted of the coming "AirPods Studio," looked a lot more premium than what Apple delivered. 
    edited December 2020 svanstrom
  • Reply 232 of 250
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    crowley said:
    spheric said:
    charlesn said:
    cheap feeling materials 

Me too, everything about the materials and build of the headphones has been very positive. I’ve heard the adjustability of the band in particular being called out as feeling premium.

There’s definitely a different feeling towards the  case, which unless the whole world has missed something seems to be a conspicuous misfire.
    They look impressive on video, really nicely designed:

The case looks fit for purpose in that video and would protect the earpieces getting damaged or knocked off in bag. Sometimes manufacturers have a bag that goes over the headphones or a big case to cover everything but then it wastes space carrying it when the headphones are being worn. This case will use hardly any space in a bag.

Usually when Apple brings out products at a higher than average price point they're called overpriced but looking at what companies are offering in the same price range, most look laughable in comparison. Here's some wireless headphones above $400, none really stand out as amazing:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=headphones&rh=n:172541,p_36:40000-,p_n_feature_two_browse-bin:509316&dc&qid=1607731108

https://www.amazon.com/AKG-Pro-Audio-Reference-Headphones/dp/B00DCXWXEI ($499)

Those are rated highly with over 3600 ratings.

Apple's been in the premium headphone business for a while and they will have a lot of data on what they can sell. They have over 1 billion customers, it wouldn't take a large percentage of their existing userbase to make this a hugely successful product in its class. I doubt many manufacturers sell as many as 1 million of their premium headphones. Apple could do that pretty easily with these, I reckon they could manage 10 million ($5.5b).

It's not at a price point I'd personally want to go to for headphones but it's tiring replacing cheap headphones every year or two, putting up with random speaker buzz, poor battery life, uncomfortable designs, connection issues. If these lasted 6 years with a battery service, it beats having to throw out $100-150 heaphones every couple of years. A $350 price point would be more accessible for people and easier to buy as gifts but they seem worth the price they are at.

I like that they avoided the branding, it gives the headphones a very clean design. It might make it easier for clone manufacturers but it looks good nonetheless.
    ronncrowleyRayz2016tht
  • Reply 233 of 250
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Apple will be very successful with these if for no other reason than their huge fanbase. 

Personally, I'm finding OTE headphones less compelling as a category today than a few years ago. I have a wonderful set of B&O wired headphones purchased probably 5 years ago (I forget the model other than they are BeoPlays), and a more recent set of wireless Bower PX7's which are probably my favs basing on sound alone.  neither pair costing me more than $300. For double the price I can't imagine any set being twice as good soundwise as what I have now. 

Yet what do I reach for more often than not simply for convenience? Sony WF-1000xme earbuds, while my wife prefers a set of 2nd gen Pixel Buds, and again neither pair cost close to $200. I don't see myself ever buying another set of on-ear or over-the-ear headphones. I already have two sets with amazing sound (three if you include Grado SE325E's belonging to my wife) that get rarely used anymore. 
  • Reply 234 of 250
    XedXed Posts: 2,547member
    gatorguy said:
    Apple will be very successful with these if for no other reason than their huge fanbase. 

Personally, I'm finding OTE headphones less compelling as a category today than a few years ago. I have a wonderful set of B&O wired headphones purchased probably 5 years ago (I forget the model other than they are BeoPlays), and a more recent set of wireless Bower PX7's which are probably my favs basing on sound alone.  neither pair costing me more than $300. For double the price I can't imagine any set being twice as good soundwise as what I have now. 

Yet what do I reach for more often than not simply for convenience? Sony WF-1000xme earbuds, while my wife prefers a set of 2nd gen Pixel Buds, and again neither pair cost close to $200. I don't see myself ever buying another set of on-ear or over-the-ear headphones. I already have two sets with amazing sound (three if you include Grado SE325E's belonging to my wife) that get rarely used anymore. 
    The "huge fanbase" has no effect if the product isn't good. Just look at the iPod HiFi and Ping as just two of many examples of duds from Apple.
    dewmejdb8167
  • Reply 235 of 250
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:

The "huge fanbase" has no effect if the product isn't good. Just look at the iPod HiFi and Ping as just two of many examples of duds from Apple.
    Yes, but just look at how many people here who are willing to buy them sight (and sound) unseen!

I've read a few reviews. They're more 'first impressions,' since people only had them for a few hours, but the general gestalt is they are high quality (excepting the dorky case,) and impressive sound and noise cancellation abilities but whether they are worth twice as much is questionable. 

I have no doubt that they will be good. The problem is there are plenty of very good headphones for $250-300, so charging twice as much gets to be a hard sell. They do have some other features (spacial audio, the H1 chip, seamless pairing) that will appeal to a subset of customers. Personally, since the iOS 14 upgrade I've found the pairing of my AirPods to be a pain in the butt, so unless Apple fixes it, that has turned into a negative.
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 236 of 250
    gatorguy said:

I'm actually not saying that you're wrong, but… would like to point something out…

I see quite a lot of people comment just like you did, about how they have a whole set of different headphones; and they try to make their point that all of those products were great, and much cheaper than these AirPods Max.

It's just that when you do the math they've often spent way more than if they'd just bought these "too expensive" AirPods Max. So even ignoring the extra value of unique and amazing extra features (like spatial audio) these headphones could actually end up being a more cost-effective purchase.

I'm not saying that everyone will save money by buying these, and I'm not saying that they will have a forever lifespan; but I am saying that there's actually a lot more to the math than just looking at the price tag as it stands.
  • Reply 237 of 250
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    svanstrom said:
    gatorguy said:

I'm actually not saying that you're wrong, but… would like to point something out…

I see quite a lot of people comment just like you did, about how they have a whole set of different headphones; and they try to make their point that all of those products were great, and much cheaper than these AirPods Max.

It's just that when you do the math they've often spent way more than if they'd just bought these "too expensive" AirPods Max. So even ignoring the extra value of unique and amazing extra features (like spatial audio) these headphones could actually end up being a more cost-effective purchase.

I'm not saying that everyone will save money by buying these, and I'm not saying that they will have a forever lifespan; but I am saying that there's actually a lot more to the math than just looking at the price tag as it stands.
    When I was researching and buying headphonesover the past decade and more I was always on the lookout for the new "greatest", so for true audiophiles I doubt buying a set of Airpod Max will keep the GAS at bay. They'll still pay too much and too often. :0

Heck, there's already Dirac in the process of being integrated in some of the traditional audio lines so ever-cheaper "spatial audio" headphone options will roll out over the next few months. Look up Dirac if you're not familiar. But Apple will still be successful with theirs IMO, at least in the shorter term. If just 1/2 of 1% of the Apple community buys em how many sales is that? Simply being a new and well-promoted Apple consumer product guarantees millions in unit turnover. Once in users hands a well-received one is typically a market knockout and a huge revenue success. 

But personally, I still think the market for on/over ear headphones has largely dissipated over the past 4 years in favor of the more mobile put it in your pocket in-ear stuff like Airpods and Liberty's and Sony's. I don't believe I'll ever be in the market for even the new compact ones releasing in the next few months with spatial sound and smart features included.
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 238 of 250
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    MplsP said:
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:

Yes, but just look at how many people here who are willing to buy them sight (and sound) unseen!

What’s the problem with buying them sight (and sound) unseen? If you don’t like ‘em, you send them back for a no-quibble refund. 

ronnjdb8167
  • Reply 239 of 250
    Here, finally, is an actual full review of the AirPods Max posted by John Gruber on Daring Fireball: https://daringfireball.net/2020/12/heavy_is_the_head_that_wears_the_airpods_max He describes the sound as "so much better" than his Quiet Comfort 35 II that he has been using for a couple of years. 

I didn't realize that the AirPods Max lack a power button--I knew they went into ultra low-power mode in the case, but I never bother with a case when using headphones at home. I wonder what the hit to battery life will be if the 'phones are always left to turn off on their own?
  • Reply 240 of 250
    XedXed Posts: 2,547member
    charlesn said:
    Here, finally, is an actual full review of the AirPods Max posted by John Gruber on Daring Fireball: https://daringfireball.net/2020/12/heavy_is_the_head_that_wears_the_airpods_max He describes the sound as "so much better" than his Quiet Comfort 35 II that he has been using for a couple of years. 

I didn't realize that the AirPods Max lack a power button--I knew they went into ultra low-power mode in the case, but I never bother with a case when using headphones at home. I wonder what the hit to battery life will be if the 'phones are always left to turn off on their own?
    I thought they went into low-power mode as soon as they were off the ears. I don't think that'll be a problem. I know my Powerbeats Pro turn off when I remove them and I can keep them out of their case for a long time before their tiny batteries discharge.