Cydia, the 'original iPhone App Store' is suing Apple over antitrust claims

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    crowley said:
    ...but I wish there was a practical way for Apple to allow software from alternative app stores.
    Of course you do.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 60
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    ...but I wish there was a practical way for Apple to allow software from alternative app stores.
    Of course you do.
    Yes?  I like having choice.  I don't mind if you don't.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Of course you do.
    It is all about you after all, and your incessant opportunistic contrarianism. If Apple were to allow other app stores you’d then complain in some other juvenile way that was all putting the focus on you.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 60
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Of course you do.
    It is all about you after all, and your incessant opportunistic contrarianism. If Apple were to allow other app stores you’d then complain in some other juvenile way that was all putting the focus on you.
    I don't see what's juvenile about anything. I'm just sharing my opinion and you're free to disagree with it, I really don't mind.  And it's hardly contrarianism, I already said I don't have much time for the lawsuit.

Seems like you've just got a chip on your shoulder about me for some reason.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Of course you do.
    I don't see what's juvenile about anything. I'm just sharing my opinion and you're free to disagree with it, I really don't mind.  And it's hardly contrarianism, I already said I don't have much time for the lawsuit.

The guy who posts negative about everything thinks others have a chip on their shoulder, the irony is so ripe with this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 60
    Lawyers who take cases like this should be named and shamed. 

Never got a response when I contacted Cydia to have my apps - which had been pirated - removed from their site.  
    DogpersonFidonet127svanstromwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 60
    JonG said:

Apple does not OWN the platform, since they sell it to me and do not rent it.  None of these EULAs have been tested in court really. Note that Apple continues to tell me what I can do with something I have purchased. No one would accept this logic in a car; here's the only parts, oil, and gas you are permitted to use. Or how about a lightbulb; you can only use it with the light fixtures that I make, or vice-versa.

sure you can do whatever you want with your iPhone physically. But you don’t own iOS. Just uninstalled iOS. Simple. problem. solved. 

As you said you pay for the phone. But what you don’t say is you did not pay for  IP of iOS. You pay to use it.  Not modify it. 

Just uninstalled, don’t ask like a pussy
    edited December 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Lawyers who take cases like this should be named and shamed. 

Never got a response when I contacted Cydia to have my apps - which had been pirated - removed from their site.  
    You think these lawyers have shame?
    svanstromwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 60
    jcs2305 said:
    I remember well the heyday of Cydia. A lot of close friends with a shit eating grin on their face over some $1.99 apps they had stolen.

Cydia was a legitimate app store in the same sense as the Rolex sales representative you used to find at every street corner.
    Stealing apps wasn't really what Cydia and Jailbreaking was about. I jailbroke my phones for years and so did close friends for the tweaks and added functionality not stolen apps. CCcontrols before control center existed.CCtweak for the long press function in control center before there was 3d touch and now haptic touch. Barrel for a cool animated unlock screen. NoSlowanimations for a super fast open and close of apps and the phone by being able to control the animation speed.

I had no problem paying the developers that gave their free time to make these things possible.. I never trusted some off shoot store that sold pirated apps.Considering the price of apps then and now that is actually a pretty shitty thing to do. B)

Sure keep telling yourself that if it helps you justify your narcissism. 
  • Reply 30 of 60
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Of course you do.
    You have a choice. It's called Android. Now it may not be the choice you want but tough titties. 
    svanstromwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 60
    dewme said:
    This claim is like a burglar suing you for changing the combination on your safe after he broke into it last month. 
    ...and also accusing you of monopolising access to the contents of that safe.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 60
    Please PLEASE keep these scary losers away from my devices. 

I WANT Apple to control and guard what can make it’s way to my phone. 

Left the Windows world a long time ago due to the minefield of a software haunted house it is. Same reason I don’t touch android. 

My Macs and to a greater extant my I devices are a delight. And one of the reasons is that these shady people don’t get to do whatever they want to me. They have to play by rules that protect me. 

I’d gladly pay extra for what Apple provides. 

These fools can go to windows and android to peddle their malware. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 60
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Of course you do.

The guy who posts negative about everything thinks others have a chip on their shoulder, the irony is so ripe with this.
    I don't do that though, and I don't appreciate the misrepresentation.  I'd say stop obsessing over me, but you actually haven't been paying as much attention to me as you think you have.  If you don't like what I say then I'd suggest putting me on ignore, I'm happy to do the same.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    JonG said:
    I think there is a case for anticompetitive behavior, which does not require a monopoly.  All of these comments about "monopoly" address Epic's case (which I agree is rather laughable).  The Cydia case rests on anticompetitive behavior, not a monopoly.

Apple does not OWN the platform, since they sell it to me and do not rent it.  None of these EULAs have been tested in court really. Note that Apple continues to tell me what I can do with something I have purchased. No one would accept this logic in a car; here's the only parts, oil, and gas you are permitted to use. Or how about a lightbulb; you can only use it with the light fixtures that I make, or vice-versa.

How about selling a refrigerator and then saying that it is monitored and will shut down if you buy certain foods that aren't on the approved list?

I'm an Apple user, and even an admin for a company that predominantly uses Apple.  I'm very submerged in their ecosystem, but that doesn't mean I have to defend all of their behaviors.  This all harkens back to a few years ago when everyone who is defending Apple right now was up in arms because Sony started going after hackers who modded their PS systems to run linux.

Also, everyone can remember a few years ago when it wasn't a government regulation that once you had paid off a cell phone, that the original carrier, at their own option, could keep it locked to the network.  Now, once you own it, you own it and a carrier can't tell you that you have to use their service.  You can't call Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile a monopoly, but they CAN engage in anti-competitive behavior that freezes out smaller businesses in the same space.

The simple basis is this:  All of these devices are computing platforms and laws have to be universal for computing platforms. Either platforms need to remain open so that you have a right to do with a hardware platform as you please, or we have to agree that all computing platforms can be locked down and companies are allowed to dictate how their product is used after you purchase it.
    Interesting take. Although car analogies are classic, though, in this case we have exactly this same situation with Tesla, which sells you additional functions on hardware sitting in your garage. 

But the specific arguments in this court case are not going to hold up. Jailbreaking DOES reduce the security of the phone. And that security is one of the selling points of the platform. Fixing those bugs is responsible. And Apple should be under no obligation to do extra work for free on behalf of Cydia. You know up front that you are buying a phone that is locked to Apple’s App Store as a fundamental restriction for using (licensing) Apple’s OS. There’s no deception and no coercion.

The only argument I could see that could hold water was if someone wrote their entirely custom mobile OS from the ground up, and wanted to install it on their phone but was prevented to by Apple locking the hardware down to their own OS. At that point, you’re only utilizing the physical thing you own, and not trying to subvert the software you’re licensing. But just an App Store on Apple’s platform? I hope the Government doesn’t compel Apple here. 
    roundaboutnowchristophbwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 60
    gc_ukgc_uk Posts: 110member
    tommikele said:
    Not a chance Cydia. They created a product and enterprise expressly to violate Apple's terms of service and user license. They had complete knowledge and knew the risks. Now that their business has failed they come around with a lawsuit? The time to file was a decade ago.
    How can you violate terms and conditions on something which didn’t even exist?
  • Reply 36 of 60
    dewme said:
    This claim is like a burglar suing you for changing the combination on your safe after he broke into it last month. 
    Lol no it’s even better. Imagine creating a marketplace on a platform and then the platform owner puts barriers in place so people can only use their marketplace while claiming they created the whole idea of a marketplace to begin with. 
  • Reply 37 of 60
    lkrupp said:
    Next thing you know  Peloton will sue Apple over Fitness+.
    Are other fitness platforms barred from the Apple platform?
  • Reply 38 of 60
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I remember well the heyday of Cydia. A lot of close friends with a shit eating grin on their face over some $1.99 apps they had stolen.

Cydia was a legitimate app store in the same sense as the Rolex sales representative you used to find at every street corner.

I fondly remember Cydia for other reasons. The ability to be able to turn my iPhone into a hot spot, to have something as obvious as cut and paste! Cydia and Jail Breaking really mae the iPhone so much better in the early years. I paid real money for those additional abilities, they were worth every penny.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Of course you do.
    There are two million apps in the store. There’s almost nothing that a third party store can do that’s useful these days. Except to give you malware.
    edited December 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 60
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,005member
    This is like a house-thief taking a homeowner to court to say the improved security on their house make it impossible for him to earn a living...
    9secondkox2watto_cobra