Apple Music adds animated album covers in iOS 14.3, macOS 11.1

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple Music has added animated album covers in the beta versions of iOS 14.3 and macOS 11.1, suggesting that the feature will roll out more broadly when the software updates launch to the public.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

Apple added animated cover art for playlists back in iOS 14, but the iOS 14.3 update, which is currently in beta and should arrive soon, appears to have done the same for album artwork.

Animated album art has appeared to certain artists, including Pearl Jam, Big Sean, and Future Utopia, according to a Redditor, a 9to5Mac reader, and other users running an iOS 14.3 beta.

It seems apple is allowing artists on apple music to have animated album artwork! pic.twitter.com/yugZHtcb6Q

-- Will (@onlyTrueWilliam)

It's not clear which other albums feature animated artwork, but the number of them is likely is increase as the animated artwork rolls out to the public.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Where is the HiRes catalogs?
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 2 of 11
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    Now that they’ve added this new feature maybe they can get back to finding a way to ensure that static album artwork shows up correctly. 
    crowleymobirdSpamSandwichPetrolDave
  • Reply 3 of 11
    dewme said:
    Now that they’ve added this new feature maybe they can get back to finding a way to ensure that static album artwork shows up correctly. 
    Haven’t had an issue with that since Apple Music was called iTunes and I was using and iPod Video 5th generation. 
    gregoriusmmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    dewme said:
    I agree, and I'd also really rather Apple spent some time figuring how why whenever I open the Beatles Box Set in Music.app I sometimes see a single album, sometimes see 13 seperate albums, and most often see a few seperate albums, and one box set album containing everything else.  It's infuriatingly inexplicable, and it doesn't only happen with that boxset.
    gregoriusmkiltedgreen
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Crossfade on iOS and homepod please Apple. 
    gregoriusmjasonfont426watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    dewme said:
    You said it. There are so many lingering issues with Apple Music that make it a stomach churning chore instead of a music lover’s feast.
    mobirdPetrolDave
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Coverflow was one of the things I loved on iOS, being a big fan of artwork (and pretty pictures!). 
    It became unfeasible as the library got bigger and bigger, but it was a thing of beauty!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    dewme said:
    Haven’t had an issue with that since Apple Music was called iTunes and I was using and iPod Video 5th generation. 
    Yes... this is definitely something that was resolved round about the time of the last iPod Classic (5th or 6th generation) more than 15 years ago.

dewme needs to consuder updating that black and white iPod mini to an iPod Touch... And... and he also need to upgrade from OS X Tiger to macOS Mojave (the last version that will run his old 32bit applications).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    How about adding music at a higher bitrate. My songs sound like shit on Apple Music when compared to a CD rip or other music platforms.
    mobird
  • Reply 10 of 11
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    really? who is this for? 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I am willing to bet if Apple raised the bit rate of every song they could, and they didn't tell you, you'd never notice.. The con to a higher bitrate is more data usage.
    jasonfont426watto_cobra